It is very common to feel anxious or depressed in few situations such as making an important decisions. But if you have been worrying or fearing constantly without any reason, then you might be experiencing an anxiety attack. Factors that contribute to this illness are depression, adrenal disorders, stress, and thyroid disorders.
Those suffering from chronic or extreme anxiety disorders can head to bigger medical conditions like chronic depression and other health issues. However, with simple natural solutions a person can manage the condition and get back to normal life before it is too late.
How to Get Rid of Anxiety with Home Remedies?
To make things easy you, we have made an assortment of various remedies below. You can opt any one as per your interest and try it regularly to control the anxiety attacks.
As per a study published in Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, chamomile has reduced anxiety symptoms in patients suffering from generalized anxiety disorder. Its mild sedative effect promotes relaxation and drowsiness.
- Into a cup of hot water, add 2 – 3 teaspoons of dried chamomile.
- Cover and let it steep for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Strain and stir in some honey for taste.
- Drink the tea while it is still warm.
- Repeat the process few times in a day for at least a month to observe improvement.
Note: Alternatively, you can take chamomile in supplement form. Consult doctor for proper dosage as per your medical history.
2. Baking Soda
Though baking soda contains sodium, it doesn’t increase blood pressure which leads to deal with anxiety. It helps to soothe and relax the mind.
- Into your bathtub filled with lukewarm water, add 1/3 cup each of baking soda and grated ginger.
- Relax in the bathwater for 15 minutes.
- Once relaxed, have a nice shower.
- Repeat the method once in 2 days to fight anxiety and depression.
3. Green Tea
Green tea contains mood-enhancing properties, L-theanine, caffeine and energy boosting properties which relax the mind and improve mood.
- Into a cup of hot water, add 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves (or 1 green tea bag).
- Now, add 4 – 5 basil leaves and let it steep for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Strain the tea, add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and honey.
- Mix well and drink it.
- Consume this tea daily in the morning before breakfast to control anxiety.
4. Anti-Anxiety Elixir
This DIY anxiety elixir will balance the overall energy level. Lemon juice helps to reduce blood pressure by strengthening the capillaries. Ginger helps to calm the stomach and improve digestion. Honey controls the blood sugar instability.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and ground ginger.
- Mix the ingredients well and consume the mixture.
- Repeat the consumption 3 times in a day for effective results.
The soothing property of oranges and its peel calms the nerves. The citrus flavor of it boosts immunity and fights depression.
- Combine 1 cup of orange juice, 1 teaspoon of honey and a pinch of nutmeg powder.
- Mix well and consume it.
- Repeat the consumption daily for a few days or weeks till anxiety attacks reduce.
Note: Inhaling the smell of orange peel also helps to lift the mood.
Rosemary is rich in calming effects which makes it an amazing method for anxiety. It helps to stimulate blood circulation, relaxes respiratory muscles and positively effects on memory and alertness.
- Into a cup of hot water, add 2 teaspoons of dried rosemary.
- Cover and let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain, stir in some honey and consume it.
- Repeat regularly to achieve satisfied results.
Note: Apart from above method, add few drops of lavender essential oil to the diffuser and smell the aroma to relax your mind.
7. Lemon Balm
Being a member of mint family, lemon balm is an amazing mild relaxant and nerve tonic. It helps to reduce anxiety and promote sleep. You can also combine it with green tea, catnip, lavender and other herbs for extra benefits.
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon balm into a cup of boiling water.
- Cover and let the mixture steep for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Consume the tea before going to bed.
- Repeat the process daily for 2 weeks to get relief from the anxiety without medication.
Note: You can also take lemon balm in supplement form. General dosage is 400mg capsules 2 times in a day. But make sure to consult your doctor for as per your medical history and needs. Avoid using this process in excess as it can lead to more anxious.
Almonds are rich in nutrients and omega-3 fatty acids which improve your mood and alleviate anxiety. It breaks down the signaling between brain cells.
- Soak 10 almonds in enough amounts of water overnight.
- In the morning, peel off the skin and grind them to a paste.
- Add the paste, a pinch of each nutmeg powder and ginger powder to a cup of milk.
- Stir well and consume it slowly.
- Repeat the process few times in a week to observe the improvement.
Fennel is an excellent herb which calms the nerves and eases anxiety. The volatile oils present in it have an anxiolytic effect on the body. It reduces the gastrointestinal symptoms which are often one of the common triggers for anxiety.
- Bring 1 cup of water to boil.
- Add 1 – 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds into it.
- Let it simmer for 5 – 10 minutes and remove from the flame.
- Let it cool down to room temperature and consume it.
- Repeat the process regularly before or after meals.
Note: You can add few drops of fennel oil on a tissue and inhale the smell.
10. Baking Soda
Taking hot water bath provides relaxing properties which provide relief from anxiety and stress. Baking soda helps to calm the nerves and get rid of anxiety.
- Into your warm bath water, add 1/3 cup of baking soda and ginger.
- Soak in the solution for 15 minutes.
- Bath normally and pat dry.
- Repeat the process regularly.
Message helps to relax and calm the body while eliminating toxins, making you feel better both physically and mentally.
- Use sesame, coconut, sunflower, or corn oil for best results.
- Warm the oil and rub all over the body, especially the scalp and bottom of the feet.
- Massage regularly before taking bath in the morning and before going to bed.
12. Honey and Lemon
Lemon is rich in potassium and vitamin C which consolidates body’s metabolism. It boosts immune system, controls blood pressure and improves digestion. The beneficial minerals present in honey enhance the mood and strengthen the immune system.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon each of honey and ground ginger.
- Mix all the ingredients to make a smooth mixture.
- Consume the mixture 3 times in a day to deal with anxiety and insomnia.
13. Epsom Salt
The magnesium present in Epsom salt helps to deal with anxiety and depression. It helps to soothes the nerves and relax the nerves.
- Into a warm water bathtub, add 1 – 2 cups of Epsom salt.
- Soak in the bathtub for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Bath normally and pat dry.
- Repeat the process regularly to get relief from anxiety attacks.
This is one of the Ayurvedic remedy to deal with anxiety and depression. It is loaded with all the properties which also fight with depression.
- Crush 3 – 4 cardamom seeds into fine powder.
- Add the powder into glass of water and mix well.
- Drink the concoction once in a day to get relief from severe anxiety and panic attack.
15. Celery Leaves
Celery contains large amount of folic and potassium. It helps to treat anxiety and depression. The celery consumption prevents you from becoming nervous.
- Wash celery and chop them into small chunks.
- Eat 2 cups of celery leaves.
- Consume 2 times in a day for a week to get rid of anxiety and angry.
Dietary Solutions for Anxiety:
Diet plays a key role with anxiety. An anxiety attack can be attributed to low blood sugar, therefore eating healthy food can help control anxiety.
- Eat whole grain foods, seaweed, blueberries, green leafy vegetables, acai berries, maca root, chocolate, walnuts, and almonds.
- Avoid fried foods, high glycemic carbs, alcohol, unrefined sugars, and coffee.
- Eat eggs as a breakfast because they have proteins and natural source of choline (the deficiency of choline causes the anxiety).
- Eat food that contains omega 3s (fish oil) to prevent depression and anxiety. Eat 2.5 milligrams of omega 3 fatty acids daily for 12 weeks. Foods rich in omega 3s include oily, cold water fish, salmon, anchovies, sardines, and mussels.
- Eat food containing magnesium, vitamin B12, zinc, and anti-oxidants to control anxiety.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Nutmeg is an aromatic spice which promotes relaxation, fights depression and acts as a work relaxant. It is one of the best Ayurvedic treatment for treating anxiety and stress. Apart from that, it also works effectively in improving sleep quality. Inhale the aroma of nutmeg powder and add 1/4 teaspoon of its powder in food.
- Valerian helps to reduce anxiety by making you tired. Take one capsule in the evening as you are preparing for bed. Combine valerian with chamomile or lemon balm for added results.
- Lemon balm is an old remedy used to relieve stress and anxiety. Take 600 mg of lemon balm in tea or capsule or tincture form daily for best results. Combine lemon balm with chamomile or valerian for added results. Taking more than 600 mg at a time can cause anxiety.
- Passion flower is a sedative herb which helps nervous restlessness and anxiety. It contains beta-carboline harmala alkaloids which elevates happiness-promoting chemicals. Take 45 drops of passion flower extract or a 90 mg tablet daily. Do not consume more than a month. Do not take sedative herbs while pregnant.
Tips and Precautions:
- Deep breathing helps to get rid of anxiety. Sit in a comfortable place, close your eyes, and focus on breathing deeply.
- To help you relax try yoga, meditation, listening to music, taking a cold bath, or watching movies.
- Make sure to sleep for at least 7 – 8 hours every night.
- Every day, write in a dairy to help you identify what causes stress and anxiety.
- Exercise is good for health and effectively combats depression and anxiety.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking as these increase anxiety.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy helps to control anxiety and stress levels.
- Make a habit of visualizing everything in a positive way. This helps prevent anxiety.
- Walking in the forest or garden for 20 minutes helps lower stress hormone levels when compared to walking in urban areas.
- Sunlight provides essential vitamins to the body. Enjoy the sunshine to wash away anxiety.
- Learn to manage your time affectively to avoid stress. Plan your day in advance to avoid anxious situations.
- Take small breaks during the work or school day to calm your mind.
Have you tried any of these methods? Don’t forget to share your experience with us. If you have any concerns or suggestions, write to us in the comment section below.