Are you suffering from a sore throat due to a cold or influenza? We’ve all been there, but few of us know how to kill the pain for good.
You’re about to learn. This surefire natural remedy for sore throats is simple and inexpensive, and you can get it from your favorite grocery store.
Still guessing? It’s apple cider vinegar.
What is Sore Throat?
Pain and sensitivity in the throat are caused by pharyngitis, a condition characterized by inflammation of the tonsils and soft palate. You’re about to discover how apple cider vinegar can relieve the pain, tightness, and burning that make it difficult to eat and drink with a sore throat.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Really Good for a Sore Throat?
Apple cider vinegar has a multitude of properties that make it a great health and beauty solution. Here are the ones that make it an unbeatable sore throat remedy.
- Apple cider vinegar balances the pH levels of your throat’s tissues, making them more alkaline or more acidic according to your body’s needs. It also kills the bacteria that cause sore throats.
- It is also a natural expectorant, which means it loosens and thins the phlegm in your throat, making it easier to breath and swallow.
- It’s bacterial properties enable it to fight the infection that causes sore throats.
- It contains prebiotic inulin, which supports your immune system and boosts white blood cell and T-cell counts.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for a Sore Throat
Ready to get rid of that pain, burning, and tightness? Below is a list of the most popular methods for using apple cider vinegar to cure your sore throat once and for all. Try each one to discover which works best for you.
Method 1: Apple Cider Vinegar Gargle
- Mix ¼ cup apple cider vinegar with ¼ cup warm water and stir well.
- Sip one mouthful and gargle with it.
- Repeat every hour until the pain in your throat disappears.
- Or, mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 8 ounces water and gargle with it.
- Do this regularly in order to kill the bacteria that caused your sore throat.
Method 2: Apple Cider Vinegar
- Swallow a small sip of undiluted apple cider vinegar.
- If that wasn’t overly intense, take another sip.
- Swallow several more small sips at regular intervals throughout the day.
- Flush your system with plain water after each mouthful.
Method 3: Diluted Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar with 8 ounces water.
- (optional) Add 1 tablespoon raw honey.
- Drink 2-3 times per day.
Method 4: Apple Cider Vinegar with Salt
- Mix 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt into ½ cup warm water.
- Use this solution to gargle 3-4 times per day.
- Or, mix 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper into 2 ounces warm water.
- Gargle with this frequently, swallowing small sips between gargles.
Method 5: Apple Cider Vinegar with Warm Water
- Mix 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar with ½ cup warm water.
- Drink every hour.
- This method is very effective when used at the first sign of a sore throat, and it prevents the development of colds and influenza.
Method 6: Slightly More Concentrated Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar with ¼ cup water and gargle with it 1-2 times per hour.
- If you choose, swallow the mixture after gargling.
- Remember to flush out your mouth and throat with plain water after each gargle.
Method 7: Apple Cider Vinegar Gargle Solution
- Mix 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar with 1 cup water.
- Gargle with 1 tablespoon of the solution and then spit it out.
- Immediately gargle with another tablespoon of the solution and swallow it.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 every hour.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey Sore Throat Treatments
The combination of apple cider vinegar and honey is quite possibly the best natural sore throat treatment available. While the acidity of apple cider vinegar kills the bacteria that’s causing your sore throat, honey will sooth the pain and tightness, making it more comfortable to swallow. Do not try this method with infants, as it will only exacerbate the problem.
Method 1: Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey and Lemon Tea
- Mix 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon honey, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and the juice from ¼ of a fresh lemon.
- Stir the mixture into a cup of hot water and sip it slowly.
- For quicker results, repeat 4 times per day.
- Or, mix 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Stir the mixture into a cup of hot water and sip it slowly.
- To speed up the healing process, repeat 2-3 times per day.
Method 2: Apple Cider Vinegar with Honey
- Mix 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar with 1 tablespoon honey.
- Stir the mixture into a cup of hot water and sip slowly.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Sore Throat and Cough
If your sore throat is the result of a bad cough, not to worry: these next two methods will cure both.
Method 1: Apple Cider Vinegar with Cayenne Pepper and Honey Gargle
- Mix 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 3 tablespoons honey.
- Stir the mixture into a glass of warm water and gargle as often as necessary throughout the day.
- Repeat for 2-3 days or until your throat no longer hurts.
Method 2: Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
- Mix ¼ cup apple cider vinegar with ¼ cup honey.
- Swallow 1 tablespoon of this mixture every 4 hours, or as necessary, for pain relief.
- Or, mix 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon honey into a cup of warm water and sip it slowly.
Tips and Precautions
Below are a few pointers that will help you avoid potential side effects and get the most out of your apple cider vinegar sore throat treatment.
- The acidity of apple cider vinegar can be harmful to tooth enamel, so be sure to rinse with plain water after you gargle.
- Only swallow an apple cider vinegar solution if the instructions for that method say to do so. Otherwise, spit it out.
- For best results, use an organic, raw, unpasteurized, unfiltered apple cider vinegar that contains the Mother.
- Whichever method you choose, follow the entire process at least once a day, and repeat 2 or more times according to the severity of your symptoms.
While apple cider vinegar is one of the most effective natural cures for a sore throat, it is still only one part of the healing equation. You can stop sore throats before they happen by eating a healthy, well-balanced diet, drinking tea, coffee, soups and other hot liquids during the winter, and keeping your distance from those who are suffering from a cold or influenza.
That’s all for now. Do you have experience using apple cider vinegar as a sore throat remedy? If you know a method we haven’t mentioned, share it with us!
Other image source – #Flickr