Upset stomach is an extremely common health problem that most of us have experienced at least once in our lifetime. Stomach upset is referred to a group of symptoms such as bloating, nausea and stomach pain that are caused by indigestion. Stomach upset can be caused by excessive eating, eating too fast, having fatty or spicy foods or over-consumption of caffeine or alcohol.
The best way to treat upset stomach is to correct the acid imbalance in the stomach using any natural food ingredient. Apple cider vinegar is a safe and effective natural treatment for upset stomach that addresses the underlying cause of the problem.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar an Effective Remedy for Upset Stomach?
- The enzymes produced during the fermentation process of making apple cider vinegar decrease digestive disorders by improving the breakdown of foods.
- Being highly acidic in nature, apple cider vinegar helps to restore the low acidic levels in the stomach which is responsible for heartburn, improper digestion and acid reflux.
- The acids in apple cider vinegar facilitate the breakdown of oils and proteins which in turn speeds up the digestion.
- Apple cider vinegar contains pectin, potassium and acetic acid which work together to provide relief from bloating and gas.
How TO Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Upset Stomach?
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Water
Diluted apple cider vinegar can be used as an effective remedy for upset stomach, acid reflux and heartburn.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Consume this drink prior to each meal 3 times a day.
- Repeat this process whenever required.
Note: Apple cider vinegar is too acidic in nature and so it is best to avoid consumption of undiluted apple cider vinegar.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey Drink
The combination of apple cider vinegar and honey helps to soothe an irritated stomach, relieve nausea and prevent acid reflux.
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of honey to a glass of lukewarm water.
- Stir well so that all the ingredients get incorporated.
- Drink this concoction with each meal until you get complete relief from stomach upset.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda Drink
Baking soda works as a natural antacid and helps to neutralize the acids in the digestive system. It also breaks down food for easier digestion and relives gas and bloating.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir it well and drink it to get instant relief from upset stomach.
- Repeat this remedy 2 times in a day for best results.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Water
The acidic nature of lemon helps to break down food and promotes the function of the stomach acids. It also helps to clear the system.
- Take 2 lemons and squeeze the juice out of it.
- Add lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to 1 glass of water.
- Drink this concoction to get relief from bloating, gas and acid reflux.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar and Mint Tea
Fresh peppermint helps to relax the stomach muscles and improve the flow of bile which aids proper digestion. It also helps to reduce gas and bloating.
- Take handful of fresh peppermint leaves and add it to a cup of boiling water.
- Cover and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to it and give it a stir.
- Sip the tea slowly while it’s still warm.
Note: You can chew fresh pepper mint leaves for better results.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar and Rice Water Drink
Rice water is the water that is left-over after cooking the rice. Its demulcent properties reduce inflammation by forming a soothing barrier over the lining of the stomach.
- Cook 1/2 cup of white rice with 2 cups of water in a pot.
- As the rice starts becoming tender, remove it from the heat and leave it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, drain the excess rice water from the pot and collect it in a glass.
- Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to it and drink it up.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar and Chamomile Tea
Chamomile helps to relieve stomach pain, cramping and spasms caused by gastritis. It has potent anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the inflamed linings of the stomach and relax the muscles of the upper digestive track.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile or a chamomile tea bag to a mug.
- Pour boiling water over it, cover the mug and let it steep for 15 minutes.
- Now add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to it and sip the tea slowly.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar and Ginger Drink
Ginger root contains gingerols and shogoals – two naturally occurring chemicals that relax the smooth muscles of the intestinal track and relieve stomach cramps and nausea.
- Wash and peel 1-2 inches of ginger root and crush it.
- Bring a cup of water to boil and add the crushed ginger to it.
- Boil the water for another 3 minutes and then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain the water and add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Sip the drink slowly.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar and Fennel Drink
Fennel seeds contain a volatile oil known as anethole which promotes the secretion of digestive juices that clear the system and reduce the pain caused by inflammation and gastritis.
- Add a tablespoon of fennel seeds to a glass of water and let it steep overnight.
- Strain the water and add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Drink it on an empty stomach.
- Repeat this remedy for 2 to 3 days.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar and Fenugreek Powder Drink
High amount of mucilage present in fenugreek seeds bulk up the stool and helps to clear your system thoroughly. It helps to relieve the symptoms of gastritis as well.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds powder and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Mix it using a spoon and drink it up.
- Drink this concoction twice daily for 2 to 3 days.
Tips and Precautions:
- Although, apple cider vinegar is used as a remedy for upset stomach, it may cause unpleasant digestive symptoms in certain people, so check whether it works for you or not.
- Use only raw, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar that contains the mother to get the maximum benefits out of it.
- Drink apple cider vinegar with a straw to prevent teeth enamel damage.
- It is not good to drink undiluted apple cider vinegar, because it is highly acidic and can irritate the tissues of the throat and esophagus.
- Excessive consumption of apple cider vinegar can cause low potassium levels and bone loss.
- Apple cider vinegar can interact with few medications such as diuretic drugs, diabetes medicines and Digoxin. So, consult your doctor before taking it.
- Cut back on greasy, fatty and spicy foods and replace fatty meats with leaner varieties.
- Maintain a balanced diet which includes whole grains, fibre, vegetables, fruits, lean meats, fish and dairy.
- Take time to eat and don’t overeat. Chew your food and stop eating when you feel full.
- Drink plenty of water to prevent constipation.
Try out these remedies right at the first sign of trouble to prevent further health complications and regulate gastrointestinal system. Do you have any apple cider vinegar remedies for upset stomach that did not make it to this list? Then please share it with us in the comments section below.