Skin tags are benign tumors and non-cancerous growth of the skin. They are completely harmless yet they affect a person’s appearance and cause discomfort. They are smooth or wrinkles flesh colored growths which vary in size. Skin tags are comprised of blood vessels and collagen fibers surrounded by skin.
The main reason behind their growth is still unknown yet friction is considered behind their development. When skin gets rubbed against the skin the skin they tags are likely to develop.
Neck, groins, stomach, eyelids, breasts, buttock folds, and underarms are some of the common areas where skin tags are observed.
Hereditary, human papillomavirus and hormonal changes also contribute to developing skin tags. They are not contagious.
There are various procedures and treatment in removing skin tags which include cauterization, ligation, excision, cryosurgery and tying it with hair. These treatments should be performed only professionals and can be costly or painful.
Well, just like many other skin problems, skin tags can also be removed with natural remedies like apple cider vinegar.
Instead of spending money on medical procedures, removing skin tags with apple cider vinegar is considered one of the safest and cost effective methods.
Can Apple Cider Vinegar be used for Skin Tags? Is it Effective?
Apple cider vinegar works great in removing skin tags due to its acidic nature. The alpha hydroxy acid and acidic acids help to remove skin tags without leaving a scar behind.
Apple cider vinegar doesn’t attack the skin tag directly, but it targets the skin tissue that forms and causes it. It breaks down in excess cells in the tags.
Once it destroys the skin tissue, the skin tags automatically turn into black, dies and eventually fall off.
As apple cider vinegar targets the skin deeply, skin tags are less likely to return in future.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Skin Tags?
We have listed different methods of using apple cider vinegar in removing skin tags. Try the remedies regularly with some patience. For extra effectiveness, make sure to wash the skin tag area with soap and warm water before trying out the treatments. This helps in removing the dust particles and sweat. The following methods can be used for skin tags on the face, hands, armpits, legs, and any other part of the body apart from eyelids and anus.
1) Apple Cider Vinegar
Applying apple cider vinegar has been one of the effective remedies in removing the skin tags. Follow the below process carefully.
- Using a cotton ball or q-tip, apply apple cider vinegar on the skin tags.
- Leave it to dry completely.
- Repeat the application 3 – 4 times daily.
- Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar.
- Squeeze out the excess and apply it over the skin tag.
- Secure it with a bandage or adhesive tape.
- Leave it on for 4 – 5 hours.
- Remove the application, clean the area with water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process 3 – 4 times a day.
2) Apple Cider Vinegar with Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil deprives the skin tags cells of oxygen and blood supply. It leaves a drying effect which leads to shrinking of skin tags. Apple cider vinegar helps to remove the skin tag off the skin.
- Combine 4 drops of apple cider vinegar, 3 drops of 100% pure tea tree oil and 5 drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Using a cotton ball or q-tip, apply the mixture on skin tags.
- Secure the application with band-aid or duct tape.
- Leave it on for few hours.
- Remove and wipe the area with warm water.
- Repeat the process 2 times in a day until the skin tags comes off.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Skin Tags on Dogs
While some state that apple cider vinegar is not good for skin tags on dogs, but some claim it will help in removing skin tags. We recommend consulting a veteran to know the safe method in removing them.
Tips and Precautions:
- Make sure to clean the area before application.
- Prick the skin tag before applying apple cider vinegar as it ensures deep penetration of it into the skin tag tissue.
- If the direct application of apple cider vinegar is causing unbearable burning sensation then use diluted apple cider vinegar.
- After removing the application, apply a small amount of vitamin E oil or coconut oil.
- To protect the surrounding skin from scarring or burning, apply Vaseline or coconut oil around the skin tag.
- Avoid applying apple cider vinegar to skin tags on eyelids or the anus. The acidic nature of ACV can cause harm to the eyes or burns on the skin.
- Cheap organic and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar also works well in removing skin tags.
- People with diabetes or obesity are more prone to the development of skin tags, so keep a check on sugar levels and weight.
- Never try to remove skin tags through surgical treatments at home. They should be performed only by experts. Negligence while performing these surgical treatments can lead to skin infections.
Hope you liked the article. Do you have any suggestions regarding apple cider vinegar for skin tags? Please share your experience and suggestions in the comments section below.