Do you feel embarrassed to wear a sleeveless top? Shaving, deodorants, proper ventilation, excessive sweating, hormonal imbalance, accumulation of dead skin and sun exposure are some of the reasons behind dark underarms. Fortunately, there is no need to suffer with dark underarms any longer.
There are many underarm lightening methods that help to get rid of this problem but don’t fall prey to commercial lightening lotions or gels. The chemicals present in it will do more harm than just removing the dark pigmentation. You can always rely on home remedies which are safe and most effective in removing dark underarms once and for all.
Is Baking Soda Effective For Dark Underarms?
Baking soda is one of the versatile products available in our house. It is a mixture of sodium and pH neutralizer. Here are few properties on how baking soda can help to reduce dark discoloration under arms.
- It exfoliates dead skin, removes damaged skin cells and promotes production of new cells.
- Its natural skin lightening properties reduce the production of melamine (reason behind the discoloration of the skin) and provides whiter and shinier finish.
- It has an amazing characteristic of absorbing oil and unclogging the pores.
- It acts as natural deodorant and help to prevent bad odor.
- The pH present in it neutralizes the alkaline nature of the skin.
And that’s how baking soda can reduce dark discoloration underarms without costing you a fortune.
How to use Baking Soda for Dark Underarms:
Listed are few home remedies using baking soda that help you in achieving whiter, softer and shinier underarms in no time.
1. Baking Soda
This combination not only removes dark discoloration under the arms but also treats underarm rashes.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with few drops of water to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on underarms and gently massage in circular pattern for few minutes.
- Let it rest for 25 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this method for at least 4 times a week to achieve the desired results.
- Alternatively, use rose water instead of plain water.
2. Baking Soda with Gram flour and Curd
- Mix baking soda, gram flour, lemon juice and curd to make a thick paste
- Apply it on under arms and gently massage for few minutes.
- Let it dry for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the skin with cool water and pat dry.
- Follow this process at least 2 times a week to achieve desired results.
3. Baking Soda with Vinegar
- Mix baking soda and vinegar to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on underarms.
- After 15 minutes, rinse it off with water.
- Or you can also use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.
- Apply this 2 times a day or regularly after bath to whiten the dark underarms.
4. Baking Soda with Lemon
- Make a paste combining 10 grams of baking soda with juice of half lemon.
- Apply this paste on underarms and gently massage for 10 minutes.
- Let it dry and rinse it off with water
- Follow this process at least 3 times a week.
Process 2: with Lemon and hydrogen Peroxide
- Combine 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/8 cup hydrogen peroxide and juice of half lemon.
- Mix well and apply this mixture under arms.
- Gently massage for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Repeat this process once in 2 days.
Process 3: with Lemon and Tea Tree Oil
- Mix 2 teaspoons each of baking soda and lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture and leave for few minutes.
- Wash with warm water and apply few drops of tea tree oil.
- Gently massage in circular motion and let it dry.
- To remove dark underarms quickly, repeat this process regularly.
5. Baking Soda with Cucumber
In this combination, cucumber and lemon lighten the skin, baking soda removes dead skin and olive oil moisturizes the skin.
- In a medium bowl, mash few slices of cucumber.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon baking soda and 3 tablespoon of lemon juice to it.
- Stir well to make a fine paste and apply this on underarms.
- After 10 minutes, rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Repeat this process regularly to lighten the skin under arms.
6. Baking Soda with Coconut Oil
This combination makes an amazing scrub for dark underarms. Baking soda exfoliates the dead skin and coconut oil nourishes and moisturizes the skin.
- Mix baking soda and coconut oil to make a thick paste.
- Gently scrub this paste in circular motion on underarms for few minutes.
- Let it rest for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Follow this method regularly for 2 – 3 times a week.
7. Baking Soda with Avocado
- Combine 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon each of mashed avocado, honey, cucumber juice and 2 tablespoons baking soda.
- Mix well to make a fine paste.
- Gently apply the mixture covering underarms.
- After 10 minutes, rinse off with normal water.
- You can apply this mixture 2 times a month.
8. Baking Soda with Cornstarch and Vitamin E Oil
- Mix 1/4 tablespoon baking soda, 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch, 1/2 tablespoon vitamin E oil.
- Stir well and apply this mixture on dark armpits.
- After few minutes, rinse off with water.
- Follow this process regularly for quick results.
9. Baking Soda with Glycerin
- Mix 1 tablespoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon glycerine.
- Stir well and apply this paste on underarms.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes and rinse off.
- Repeat this process 3 – 4 times a week for better results.
10. Baking Soda with Honey and Rosewater
- Combine 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and honey.
- Add few drops of rose water and make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on underarms.
- Let it rest for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Repeat daily.
11. Baking Soda with Milk
- Mix one tablespoon each of baking soda and milk.
- Apply this paste on underarms and gently massage in circular motion.
- Repeat this process in every 2 days for quick results.
12. Armpit Detox with Baking Soda
- Before you start, scrub your underarms gently with using a loofah.
- After the bath, while underarms are still wet apply baking soda.
- After that apply natural deodorant on it.
- Note: On first day you should repeat this process several times (5 – 10 times) but each day the number should go down. An average person takes 4 – 7 days to complete the detox.
Remember to be regular when using any of the above methods for removing dark underarms but don’t expect miraculous results overnight.
Chemical based deodorants are also a reason for dark discoloration underarms. You can just apply baking soda using cotton pad instead of deodorants and antiperspirants. Yet if you are not a fan of applying this then here are few recipes for making homemade deodorants using baking soda.
1. Baking Soda with Cornstarch and Coconut Oil
- Combine 1/4 cup baking soda and 3/4 cup cornstarch.
- To this mixture add four tablespoons of melted coconut oil.
- Stir well and continue adding coconut oil to reach your preferred consistency.
- Store this mixture in an air tight container.
- Apply a small amount to underarms with fingertips after bath.
- For extra benefits, you can also add essential of your choice in the mixture.
2. Baking Soda with Coconut Oil and Shea Butter
- Melt 3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil and 2 tablespoon shea butter using a double boiler.
- Turn of the heat and add 3 tablespoons baking soda and 2 tablespoons corn starch to the mixture.
- Stir until you get a smooth paste. Add your preferred essential oil.
- Let it cool down and store in an air tight container.
- Apply a small amount using finger tips on under arms after bath.
- During summer, you have to refrigerate it as coconut oil melts down.
3. Baking Soda with Arrowroot Powder and Bentonite Clay
- Combine 1 tablespoon baking soda, 5 tablespoons coconut oil, 6 tablespoons arrowroot powder and 2 tablespoons of bentonite clay.
- Stir well and add 5 to 10 drops of essential oil of your choice.
- Store in an air tight container.
- The mixture will be in creamy consistency, so just scoop out a small amount using your finger and apply on underarms.
4. Baking Soda with Beeswax and Corn Starch
- Melt down 1 tablespoon grated beeswax and 3 tablespoons coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Add 1/4 cup each of corn starch, baking soda, 5 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops of any essential oil of your choice.
- As soon as you complete mixing the ingredients, pour it into empty deodorant stick.
- It solidifies when cooled down to room temperature.
Tips and Precautions:
- Underarms have the most sensitive skin so be careful while using baking soda. If you feel burning sensation, rash, redness or cracked skin while using baking soda, then stop immediately and wash it off.
- Opt waxing instead of shaving. As waxing not only removes the hair from roots but also removes dead skin.
- Don’t be abrasive while massaging baking soda on underarms. Be gentle.
- Don’t wear too tight clothes. Let your body breathe. Continuous friction and improper ventilation can cause dark discoloration underarms.
- Stop using deodorants and antiperspirants. You can use sandalwood essential oil, baking soda and other homemade deodorants instead of chemical based deodorants.
- Always do a patch test before applying any of the above home remedy. If you observe any negative results, stop using it. Or else you are free to use it.
- Consult a doctor if you are not achieving results through home remedies. They may be caused due to hormonal changes or any other disease.
Follow the methods regularly and achieve the desired results in no time. Flaunt your shiny, white underarms wearing strapless tops this summer. Share your experience with us.