Skin Tags, medically known as acrochordon is a benign skin condition that occurs on neck, armpits, groin and under the breasts. Skin tags are caused by clusters of collagen and blood vessels that get trapped inside the thicker layers of the skin. In some cases, skin tags can also be caused by the Human Papilomavirus.
Skin tags are more common among people suffering from diabetes or those who are overweight or obese. There are a wide range of natural treatments using baking soda and other ingredients that can remove skin tags successfully without causing any skin irritation.
Is Baking Soda Useful for Removing Skin Tags?
- Baking soda is a powerful exfoliant that breaks down and removes the cluster of dead skin cells and tissues that form skin tags without damaging the rest of the skin.
- The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of baking soda treat skin tags caused by the Human Papilomavirus.
- The powerful astringent properties of baking soda dries out the skin tags from inside out and promotes them to fall off naturally.
How to Use Baking Soda for Skin Tags?
Here we have mentioned several remedies using baking soda for skin tags. Choose one among them and try it regularly with some patience.
1. Baking Soda
- Take a tablespoon of baking soda in a bowl and add a few drops of water to it.
- Mix it to from a paste.
- Apply this paste evenly on the skin tags and let it dry on its own.
- Wash the area using lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times every day till the skin tags are gone.
2. Baking Soda and Castor Oil Paste
Castor oil detoxifies and cleanses the skin. It helps to remove skin tags by draining out moisture from the tags. This dries up the skin tags which eventually fall of over time.
- Prepare a paste by mixing 2 teaspoons of castor oil and 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Apply this paste on the skin tags.
- Cover it with a bandage and leave it overnight.
- Remove the bandage the next morning and wash off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this process once every night for a couple of weeks.
3. Baking Soda and Coconut Oil Paste
Lauric acid present in coconut oil is a powerful anti-microbial that destroys viruses, fungi and bacteria causing skin tags.
- Add 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and 1 teaspoon of baking soda to a small bowl.
- Mix it well and store it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Now, apply the paste on the skin tags and cover with a bandage.
- Leave it on overnight and wash off the area with lukewarm water the next morning.
- Repeat this remedy once every night for a couple of weeks.
4. Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar Soak
Acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar breaks down the cluster of cells that form the skin tag and removes them naturally.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda to 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix well until the baking soda dissolves.
- Soak a cotton ball in this mixture and apply it on the skin tag directly.
- Secure it with a bandage or cotton gauge and leave it on for 3 to 4 hours.
- Next, wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy 3 times a day for a few weeks.
5. Baking Soda and Tea Tree Oil Wipe
The highly acidic nature of tea tree essential oil dries out the skin tags from inside and makes them to fall off naturally. The antiseptic property of tea tree oil also protects the skin against infection after the skin tag falls off.
- Make a solution by adding 1 tablespoon of baking soda to a 1/2 cup of water.
- Dip a cotton ball in this solution and squeeze out the excess water.
- Pour a few drops of tea tree oil on the wet cotton ball.
- Use this cotton ball to wipe the skin tag.
- Hold the cotton ball over the skin tag for 5 minutes.
- Leave it on for a couple of hours and then wash off with water.
- Reapply this remedy 2 to 3 times a day for a few weeks.
6. Baking Soda and Garlic Ointment
Garlic is known for its natural antimicrobial, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. The enzymes present in garlic help to remove skin tags by drying them out from within.
- Take 3 to 4 cloves of fresh garlic and crush them to make a paste.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda and a few drops of water to it.
- Mix well to form an ointment.
- Apply it on the skin tag, secure with a bandage and leave it on for 2 hours.
- Wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day till the skin tag falls off.
Note – Raw garlic can cause skin irritation, so you can apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly on the surrounding area of the skin tag to protect it against irritation.
7. Baking Soda and Lemon Juice Paste
Citric acid present in lemon juice dissolves the cluster of cells and tissues that form the skin tag and breaks it down with regular application.
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice to a tablespoon of baking soda.
- Mix it using a spoon and apply it directly over the skin tags.
- Leave it on for a few hours and then wash the area with water.
- Reapply this remedy 1 to 2 times a day till the skin tag falls off.
8. Baking Soda and Fenugreek Seeds Salve
Fenugreek seeds contain powerful antioxidants that promote the removal of dead skin cells and tissues that make up the skin tags.
- Soak a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in water for a few hours.
- Crush the seeds to make a paste and add a teaspoon of baking soda to it.
- Mix both the ingredients well and apply it generously over the skin tags.
- Leave it on for a couple of hours and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this process 1 to 2 times every day till the skin tags are gone.
9. Baking Soda and Pineapple Juice Soak
The acidic nature of pineapple juice and the enzymes break down the cluster of cells that form the skin tags and disperse them evenly without causing any skin irritation.
- Cut a slice of pineapple into small pieces and crush them to extract the juice.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda to the juice and mix well.
- Dip a cotton ball in this mixture and apply it over the skin tag.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and then discard the cotton ball.
- Let the mixture dry up on its own and then wash off with water.
- Repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times every day for a couple of weeks.
10. Baking Soda and Aloe Vera Poultice
The hormones Auxin and Gibberellins present in aloe vera gel have healing and anti-inflammatory properties that remove dead skin cells that form the skin tags. It also speeds up the healing process.
- Cut off a leaf from an aloe vera plant and extract the gel.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda to 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel and mix it using a spoon.
- Apply this poultice on the skin tags and leave it on for a couple of hours.
- Wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Reapply this remedy twice every day till the skin tags are gone.
Tips and Precautions:
- Baking soda can be excessively drying for skin, so it is recommended to keep your skin moisturized using creams and lotions.
- Be careful while applying baking soda remedies to skin tags present on eyelids because it can cause a lot of burning and irritation if it gets into your eyes. If baking soda gets into your eyes, flush your eyes with lots of water for 10 minutes and apply some tear drops.
- In rare cases, topical application of baking soda can cause skin rash.
- Maintain healthy body weight, because skin tags are more prevalent among overweight people.
- Apply medicated powder to your legs, groins, armpits and under the breast to reduce friction.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing that continuously rubs against your skin.
- Drink plenty of water and follow a diet rich in fiber and antioxidants.
- Avoid foods high in fat, sugar, caffeine and processed foods.
Try out these time tested methods for removing skin tags using baking soda and do let us know which one worked best for you. Do you have any remedies for skin tags using natural ingredients? Then please share it with us in the comments section.