Cinnamon spice is best known for its rich flavor and medicinal properties. It can also help you to lose weight. Weight loss is defined as the reduction of total body mass due to loss of fluid, body fat, adipose tissues or lean mass.
Does Cinnamon helps you Lose Weight?
Cinnamon definitely helps with weight due to its properties that are explained below.
- Cinnamon not only helps to burn the excess fat collected in the body, but also prevents its further accumulation.
- It increases the body heat thereby speeds up the metabolism.
- It reduces the cholesterol level, particularly triglycerides, LDL (bad cholesterol) and total cholesterol and also helps for good cholesterol (HDL) to lose weight.
- It regulates the blood sugar levels by increasing the insulin action and thereby controls both diabetes and body weight.
- It is rich in polyphenols which promotes weight loss in the body and is also effective in losing belly fat.
- It contains a compound called mineral chromium that helps to control the appetite and aid weight loss by stabilizing the blood glucose levels.
- It contains a compound called hydroxycinnamaldehyde which helps to fight against inflammation and to reduce the levels of harmful fats in the blood.
- It suppresses the appetite and makes you feel full.
- It contains powerful anti-bacterial properties that help to get rid of the bad bacteria in the stomach for easy digestion to lose weight.
- It contains all the essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, iron, calcium, etc. which helps to boost up the metabolism, increases the immunity system and improves memory.
How to take Cinnamon for Weight Loss:
Regular consumption gives best results for losing weight. You can consume cinnamon in any of these following ways:
1. Cinnamon with Water
- Take 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon (or 2 cinnamon sticks) and add this to a cup of water.
- Bring to the boil before allowing to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the tea and drink.
- The best time to drink this tea is early in the morning with an empty stomach i.e. before taking breakfast to speed up the metabolism.
2. Sprinkle on Food
This method is used for the people who don’t enjoy drinking this cinnamon.
- Take 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and sprinkle on food like chopped apples, apple sauce, chopped banana and in oatmeal.
- For best results, sprinkle some of this powder on the breakfast in the morning and at night before going to bed.
- Some ideas are sprinkling it on the whole wheat toast with fresh preserves, on sweet potatoes with maple sugar or on chopped fruits.
3. Mix it with Juices and Other Foods
- Add a teaspoon or two of Ceylon cinnamon powder to a cup of warm milk, hot chocolate or cappuccino.
- Stir it well and drink regularly.
- You can combine this with other natural foods like honey, ginger, lemon juice, etc.
- You can also add this cinnamon to any smoothies and fruit juices.
4. Cinnamon and Honey in Water
- Boil a cup of water for few minutes and then add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder or 2 cinnamon sticks.
- Stir it well and boil for another few minutes.
- Allow to cool for few minutes and then strain.
- Now add a tablespoon of honey and mix well.
- Regular intake of this water early in the morning and before going to bed shows the best results.
5. Cinnamon with Apple and Water
- Take 1/2 a gallon of filtered water (or a pitcher), 2 apples and a teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Peel and core one apple and cut into quarter inch thick pieces before mashing up.
- Collect the juice and add to the water along with a teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Core the second apple but leave the skin on and slice into small pieces.
- Add to the water and mix it well.
- Chill it and enjoy.
- Raspberries or fresh lemon etc can be added for extra flavour.
- Note: For best results drink this in the morning
6. Cinnamon with Banana, Oats and Milk
- Take a banana, a teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 1/4 cup of raw oats, 1/2 cup of skimmed milk, a cup of plain, unflavored and low fat yogurt and 1 – 2 teaspoon of white or brown sugar.
- Blend all the above ingredients (except cinnamon powder) to make a smoothie.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder giving a natural sweetness.
- Drink this regularly to lose weight.
7. Ceylon Cinnamon with Apple and Water
- Take a cinnamon stick and 1/2 apple.
- Cut the apple into thin slices, put in a pitcher and add the cinnamon stick.
- Cover about 1/2 with ice and 1/2 with water.
- Stir it well and chill in the fridge.
- This water can lasts for about 24 hours when in the fridge.
- Drink this regularly to lose weight.
Cinnamon Diet for Weight Loss:
The U.S Department of Agriculture (USDA) states that consuming a half to 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder with your meals everyday will boost the metabolism by 20 times and makes the fat cells more responsive to insulin in the body. This burns more calories and contributes to weight loss and reduces type – 2 diabetes.
Here are few ways which we can use cinnamon in our diet.
1. Cinnamon Toast For Breakfast
- Put 2 slices of bread in the toaster.
- When it is toasted, take a banana and mash it by mixing 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Apply like butter over the toasted bread and enjoy.
2. Sweet Potato Soup For Lunch
- Finely chop an onion and few garlic cloves.
- Fry in oil for few minutes.
- Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon, sweet potatoes and a pinch of chilli and ginger powder.
- Cook and mix for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Pour 100 ml each of coconut milk and chicken stock.
- Simmer for 6 – 8 minutes and blend thoroughly.
3. Sweet and Spicy Quinoa For Dessert
- Add a tablespoon of cinnamon, 75 grams of quinoa and 150ml of water to a pan.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Stir it well and add 110 ml of coconut water and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of honey, handful of chopped nuts, berries, apples into it and mix it well.
- Cook for another 10 minutes and remove from the flame.
- Let it cool down and enjoy.
How Much Cinnamon Should You Consume:
According to US National Health Service, you should not take more than one teaspoon (5g) of cinnamon per day for 6 weeks or for a lesser period of time. You can take it for about 5 days with a 2 days rest in a week and then repeat the cycle. Ceylon cinnamon has a very little amount of coumarin, so you can usually double this dosage.
Cinnamon Pills or Tablets for Weight Loss:
Cinnamon pills also effective to shed the extra pounds from the body to lose weightout any significant dietary and exercise changes. Research stated that those who consume 2000 mg of cinnamon daily will lose 300% more weight and 500% more belly fat than those that don’t.
Take 4 pills each of 500mg daily to lose weight. It is best to take one pill with breakfast, two pills with lunch and the final one with dinner. It may produce some side effects to those using medications like blood thinners or hormonal drugs and also people suffering from liver diseases. Ensure to consult a heath care provider.
Here are some simple tips that make the best use of cinnamon:
- Consuming 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon powder on daily basis has proved to lower the cholesterol levels in the body. You can increase the quantity up to 2 teaspoons a day.
- There are three types of cinnamon: Cassia cinnamon, Indonesian cinnamon and Ceylon cinnamon but Ceylon cinnamon is the best one to take.
- Make sure that you don’t have any allergies related to cinnamon.
- Always use a high quality fresh cinnamon for best results.
- You also have to follow a healthy, balanced diet and regular exercise to lose weight.
- It also helps to prevent many health ailments like arthritis, toothache, heart diseases, diarrhea, UTI and bladder infections, headaches and migraine, influenza and cold, improves digestion process, prevents bad breath, hair problems, boosts memory and improves cognitive abilities.
Follow these precautions to prevent any side effects of cinnamon on your body.
- Consult your doctor if you’re using any medications. It has blood – thinning or anti-clotting properties and it can interact with some prescribed medications.
- Pregnant women’s, breastfeeding moms and children should consult the doctor before using.
- When taken in excess, it will suppress the central nervous system and have a toxic effect on the liver.
- Taking this spice in excess amount in any form will cause tongue inflammation, irritation of stomach, intestines, skin, mucous membranes or urinary tract, mouth sores, dizziness, drowsiness, vomiting and diarrhea. It also lowers the blood sugar levels and results in blood clotting.
Have you tried any of these methods to lose weight? Or do you know any other ways of using cinnamon for weight loss? Please share your experience with us.