Weight Loss is all about calories. How much do we consume and how much do you use up in a day. It is a decrease in the body weight that arise due to loss of body fat, loss of protein and other substances, or by another health problems.
Coconut oil helps you to say good bye to your excess body fat! Here is all you need to know about how it can help you lose extra body weight. Coconut oil is defined as the saturated fatty oil or edible oil that are obtained from the meat of matured coconuts.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Weight Loss:
- Coconut oil has rich source of saturated fats that helps people those who are overweight. A large portion of this fat content is made up of a medium chain saturated fatty acids (MCT) that is 3 times more effective than longer chain counterparts in fighting extra weight.
- MCT boost the metabolism and produces lots of energy that burns additional calories.
- Overweight may also suffer from a condition or disease called yeast infection or Candida characterized by cravings for food, sudden weight gain, stress, fatigue, etc. The medium chain fatty acids can eliminate this.
- Natural weight loss is generally promoted by the detoxification of the body which coconut oil can do.
- It metabolizes fats in the liver and converts it to fuel for the brain and muscle functioning.
- It is thermogenic, which means it increases the energy expenditure by burning more fat.
How to use Coconut Oil for Weight Loss:
Try these methods to burn your extra calories and maintain healthy weight.
Method – 1:
- Use 2 tablespoons of extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil.
- Take a tablespoon of coconut oil twice a day around meal times.
- Or Take it right after dinner if dessert is your downfall!
- It can also be used as an olive oil substitute.
Method – 2:
- Add hot water or herbal tea to a tablespoon or two of coconut oil in a mug.
- Stir it well and drink this to get rid of the overweight problem.
- Consume this regularly.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil and Lemon in Hot Water)
- Take a lemon wedge and some lemon juice in a glass.
- Now add a teaspoon of organic coconut oil and some fresh water.
- Now fill the glass with warm water and stir it well.
- Sip it slowly, early in the morning on daily basis.
Method – 4: (Coconut Oil and Green Tea)
- Mix 2 tablespoons of green tea leaves, hot water and coconut oil in a glass.
- Steep it for few minutes and strain the tea.
- Sip it slowly and regularly.
Method – 5:
- Take a couple tablespoons of coconut oil and melt it to add it in your smoothies, protein shakes, fruit juices, apple sauce, cottage cheese or yogurt.
- Or mix coconut oil with extra virgin olive oil in equal quantities as a dressing.
- Use this to spread on toast by adding a little bit of cinnamon powder and honey.
Coconut Oil Recipes for Weight Loss:
There are many recipes you can try for weight loss. This is a delicious way to help target fat or weight loss particularly when you’re doing the regular fat or weight loss workouts.
Method – 1: (Coconut Smoothie Recipe)
- Take 14 ounces of fresh or canned coconut milk and add 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil and 7 ounces of water.
- Pour all these ingredients in a blender and add either 2 handfuls of cherries or a cup of blueberries.
- Blend it thoroughly till it has mixed properly and you can add Stevia (a natural sweetener) as per your taste.
- Drink this smoothie regularly.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil Berry Smoothie)
- Put a tablespoon of raw virgin coconut oil, a cup of berries, a cup of unsweetened almond milk (vanilla flavored) and 5 ice cubes into a blender and blend.
- Add a scoop of your favorite protein powder.
- This smoothie is high in antioxidants and the coconut oil contained in it helps to increase nutrient absorption that helps to fight against the weight loss.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil with its Water and Pineapple)
- Take 1 cup of coconut water and add a tablespoon or two of raw virgin coconut oil, a tablespoon of organic spirulina powder and 1/2 cup of frozen pineapple, 1/2 frozen banana, handful of spinach and 5 ice cubes.
- Pour all these ingredients in a blender and blend, add Stevia to your taste.
- Stir it well and then drink regularly.
- Regularize taking this drink regularly will definitely helps you to lose weight.
Best Oil for Weight Loss – Coconut Oil ( Is Coconut Oil Best For Weight Loss):
A few years ago, a study was conducted to show that olive oil is not the best oil that helps you lose weight. It revealed that the fatty acids which are present in our body fat are much more likely to found in olive oil. Coconut oil does not contain these mono-saturated fats and helps to convert the fat into energy.
Coconut Oil Dosage for weight Loss:
The dosage to use will vary from one person to another. To start with, use 1 – 2 tablespoons of oil in your diet, then slowly increase to 5 to 6 tablespoons. Here are some guidelines dependant on your weight:
- For 90 – 130 lbs, you have to use a tablespoon of coconut oil before each meal for a total of 3 tablespoons per day.
- For 131 – 180 lbs, use 1.5 tablespoon of coconut oil before each meal for a total of 4.5 tablespoons per day.
- For above 180 lbs, use 2 tablespoons of coconut oil before each meal for total of 6 teaspoon per day.
Best Time to Take this Coconut Oil for Weight Loss:
The best time to consume coconut oil is 15 – 20 minutes before taking meals, producing a reduction of appetite, although make sure to melt it to its liquid form before consumption.
Best Coconut Oil for Weight Loss:
There are many types of coconut oil available, but it is advisable that you use only high quality coconut oil manufactured by a reputed brand.
Make sure it is pure, organic, unprocessed or unrefined extra virgin coconut oil as this preserves all the necessary essential micronutrients. Unrefined or unprocessed coconut oil is free from many harmful chemical compounds.
Virgin coconut oil is also good. These are cold-pressed and contain a lot of anti-oxidants.
Expeller is a pressed refined coconut oil and is the best alternative to virgin coconut oil. This oil is highly processed so it won’t give you any fragrance (neutral fragrance).
Both cold pressed coconut oil and expeller-pressed coconut oil can be stored for about 2 years.
Coconut Oil Diet:
When you start including this coconut oil into your regular diet then your digestion process becomes comparatively slow, making you feel fuller for longer. This stops the fluctuation of blood sugar levels and eventually aids in weight loss.
40 women were separate, one section of women was given 30 grams (2 tablespoons) of coconut oil and other has given same amount of soybean oil for a period of 28 days. Both the section people are instructed to eat fewer calories and walk everyday with some little exercise.
Results: Both groups has lost weight (about 2 – 3 pounds), but the group who has taken coconut oil has decreased their waist circumference (belly fat).
How to use Coconut Oil in your Diet:
Coconut oil is also an efficient cooking oil .It does not generate the detrimental hydrogenated fat while getting cooked.
- Baking the Food: Use melted coconut oil in replacement of butter, shortening or other vegetable oils to prepare baked food items like cookies, muffins, cupcakes, brownies, scones, etc.
- Roast Vegetable: Use this oil to roast fresh vegetables like beets, butternut squash, rutabaga, capsicums, sweet potatoes, etc. by adding flavourful herbs to them for seasoning like lemon juice, thyme, rosemary salt and pepper.
- Prepare Popcorn: Make your own homemade popcorn by dropping the kernels in a pan and adding a spoonful of coconut oil.
- Nut Butter: Take a food processor and grind 2 cups of nuts like almonds, pecans or cashews and add 2 – 3 tablespoons of coconut oil. Grind it till it is smooth and buttery. Also you can customize each batch by adding additional flavours like honey, flaxseeds, cinnamon, maple syrup or even ground coffee to it.
- Salad Dressing: Use a tablespoon of coconut oil in your salads.
- Mayonnaise: Prepare your own mayonnaise by using half of olive oil and half melted coconut oil.
- Granola: Bake homemade granola using coconut oil.
- Other Substitutes: You can also use this oil in any of these substitutes: spread it on the bread (like jam), replace your regular oil with coconut oil to sauté vegetables with it, use this oil in stir fries, pour it on your rice, in mashing potatoes or on baked potatoes, drop a spoonful in your smoothies for tropical flavor, pour this in your soups and sauces, etc.
Oil Pulling Coconut Oil for Weight Loss:
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic process to cure many diseases and conditions. It is also used for weight loss. Generally there are no clinical studies to validate any of these claims but it is considered as an effective weight loss by coconutresearch.org.
Coconut oil for oil pulling is always a better option as it contains anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and enzymatic properties that helps to kill the unwanted bacteria, toxins, pus, mucous and other harmful things from your body.
- Put a tablespoon or two of coconut oil into your mouth.
- Start swishing the oil around for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, spit out the oil and wash your mouth with a brush and warm water.
- Repeat this process regularly.
- According to Oil Pulling Therapy by Bruce Fife this process detoxifies the body and combats the germs and bacteria which causes gum diseases, tooth decay and contributes to many other health problems.
- Remember that not to swallow the oil as it is filled with toxic pathogens, so spit into a bin and not the sink.
Coconut Oil for Weight Loss and Thyroid:
Many people suffer from a thyroid problem, which means you can’t lose weight no matter how much you diet. Unsaturated oils block the protein digestion in the stomach that leaves the sufferer malnourished even though you eating healthy and nutritious foods.
Coconut oil is not an unsaturated fat, it helps the thyroid gland to function normally and also helps the people to meet and stay at their desired weight. It also stimulates the metabolism that promotes the weight loss.
- Eat a teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil.
- Increase the quantity slowly.
- Researchers suggests for adults those who want to get a good amount of medium chain fatty acids should consume about 3 ½ tablespoons of coconut oil throughout the day.
- Also replace unhealthy oil with virgin coconut oil to get the additional benefits.
Coconut Oil in Coffee for Weight Loss:
Simply taking 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in your morning coffee is a great way to lose weight. This is also known as bulletproof coffee, give it a try.
Method – 1:
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to hot coffee (2 if you are used to using the oil).
- Stir well and add a tablespoon of whipping cream and drink.
- Alternatively, use a blender.
- You can also add calorie free sweetener (like Stevia but not artificial sweetener).
- If you’re not a coffee drinker, try in hot tea.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil and Grass Fed Butter in Coffee)
- Stir a tablespoon of coconut oil and a teaspoon of grass fed butter in a cup of hot coffee.
- Drink the coffee regularly.
- If you carry a small packet of coconut oil in your bag then you can enjoy this coconut oil coffee anywhere!
Coconut Oil Pills for Weight Loss:
Coconut oil pills can also be used as a substitute to the oil. It is recommended to take 45 grams per day in those consuming around 2000 calories. These products typically offers 1000 milligrams or 1 gram of medium chain fats per pills. Make sure to consult the doctor or your healthcare provider before taking these pills to know the extract dosage and the perfect time to take it for weight loss. Remember that the pills should be free of additives and lubricants. It will be also helpful if you know the source and manufacturing process of the oils.
Coconut Oil for Fat Loss:
Medium chain triglycerides (MCT) are rich fats that are commonly seen in coconut oil which is used in the context of ketogenic diet to promote weight loss. This is why because your body cannot readily stores the MCT fats and promotes the fat burning and prevents you from storing the fat from coconut oil in your body. Coconut oil makes it easier for you to achieve the targeted weight by switching your body easily to fat – burning mode. It contains 3 important fatty acids: lauric acid, caprilic acid and capric acid.
MCT’s are not broken down in these intestines and therefore it is not stored immediately as fat in your body. Instead they absorbed intact and sent right to liver, where they turn and used as energy that helps to maintain perfect weight.
It is proved in a study that taking 15 – 30 grams (1 – 2 tablespoon) of coconut oil per day will increase the energy expenditure by 5%, a total of about 120 calories per day.
Simply follow these tips to lose your extra calories and have healthy weight.
- Coconut oil in its solid form works brilliantly as a dairy – free option in recipes.
- Sitting and eating coconut oil will not make you lose your weight, instead use this as a replacement for other fats.
- Always use melted coconut oil other than in solid form.
- Pure, organic, extra virgin coconut oil is best.
- Consult the doctor if you have an allergic reaction to the oil.
So, what’s you’re waiting for? Try coconut oil to reduce your overweight and makes you slim and fit, and don’t forget to share your experiences with us!