Cold is the most common illness that affects everyone from infant to elderly people. Changes in weather & winter, rainy season are the main things which cause the cold. If cold occurs, no part in our body function properly. Fever, runny nose, sore throat which is symptoms of cold will follow it in day or two & makes you feel uncomfortable to work or eat & enjoy. Scientifically, cold is an upper respiratory infection caused by many different viruses, these virus particles penetrate into the mucous layer of nose & throat to cause the infection as cold.
So, try these natural remedies which help you to prevent from the cold & its symptoms. As we all know that cold will last for a week. So, follow these effective treatments at home to get relief from the cold. These remedies are safe & harmless but if any problem a raised, consult the specialist.
Symptoms of Cold:
Listed below are the symptoms of cold which we generally see in the people who suffers from the cold.
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Head ache
- Mild fever
- Decreased appetite
Main Causes for Cold:
Following are some of the main causes for cold.
- Virus commonly called as Rhino-viruses & Corona viruses
- Personal contact like hand shakes
- Allergic disorders
- Menstrual cycles
- Weather changes
Home Remedies for Cold:
Homemade natural remedies are safe, cheap & very effective when compared to other medicines. It will naturally strength your body without any side effects. So, follow these remedies for cold treatment.
1 Hydrate Yourself
Don’t dehydrate your body which causes more problems. Get hydrated by drinking more fluids & water this makes your throat & body in a moist form to prevent the cold by flushing the cold virus away from your body.
- Take water regularly as much as possible like at least 8 ounces for every 2 hours.
- Alternately, drink fluids like chicken soup, fruit juices, sports drink, herbal tea etc.,
- Make sure that not to take include cola, coffee, other caffeine drinks which acts as diuretic & causes dehydration to you.
Steam breathing will helps to get relief from your stuffy nose & also eliminates the cold virus.
- Take 3-4 cups of water
- Boil it in the kettle for few minutes
- Now take a bath towel to cover your head & other parts
- Make sure that steam should not escape from the towel
- Add a tsp of Vicks vapor rub in it & mix it well.
- Breath in on the steam slowly, which helps to get relief from the congestion & drippy nose.
- Process has to be repeated to get rid of the problem.
3 Saline Solution
It’s one of the most popular remedy for cold which helps to break nasal congestion & also removes the virus particulars & bacteria causing cold & irritating your nose.
- Buy a saline nasal sprays & spray it onto your nose to get the instant relief from the cold
- Or you can make your own nasal solution by taking salt & warm water.
- Mix it well to make a solution.
- Use this solution to rinse it off
- Repeat it regularly when you face this problem.
4 Neti Pot
Neti pot when we use it with a mild saline solution flushes through the nasal passages, moisturizing the area & thinning so that it will be loosed & mucus will be rinsed off.
- Take 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of baking soda (Optional) & a cup of lukewarm sterile / treated or distilled tap water.
- Now prepare the saline solution by mixing all the above said ingredients
- Take a neti pot (looks like a tea pot) which is available at drug stores or natural food stores.
- Pour this warm saline solution into that pot
- Take that pot & go to the sink or wash basin
- Bend yourself & tilt your head to one side.
- Put the spout of the neti pot deep in one nostril by taking air / breathing with mouth
- Then the poured water will gently flow through the nasal passages & moistures the area.
- At last the water will comes out from the other nostril by removing the mucus.
- For other nostril also, same process has to be repeated to get relief from cold.
- Then take a tissue paper to clean up the remaining mucus.
- This method is safe but you should know the technique of how water is getting out from the other nostril otherwise leave this remedy why because if you don’t do it properly it will increase the cold infection & problem.
It will help to moisture your sore or scratchy throat to bring temporary relief from cold.
- Take 1/2 tsp of salt & dissolve it in 8 ounces of warm water.
- Use this solution to gargle
- Repeat it for 3-4 times a day to get relief from the cold by reducing the tickle in your throat.
- Or you can use an astringent gargle like tea that contains tannin, which helps to tighten the membranes.
- Or you can also try gargle using raspberry leaves & honey
- First of all steep one tbsp of raspberry leaves or lemon juice in two cups of hot water.
- Then mix it with a tsp of honey & allow it to cool up to room temperature before you start gargle it.
6 Elevate Your Head
Elevating your head while sleeping will helps you to get relief from the congested nasal passages & at last you will get better sleep without breathing problem.
- Go to your bed with an extra pillow
- Try to elevate your head up to 4 – 6 inches
- You can do it by putting an extra pillow or wedge pillow on your head side
- Process has to be repeated regularly while sleeping to get rid of the cold problem.
7 Chicken Soup
The soup contains cysteine, which helps in thinning mucus & taking in soup form will easily absorbs the
nutrients into your body.
- Take chicken soup whenever you feel cold
- Taking it in hot will help to release the mucus in your nose & helps your body to fight against the virus causing cold.
- Include at least twice a day will helps to prevent the cold.
Drinking a cup of hot tea will helps to loosen your nasal passages & also makes your stuffy nose feel
better by hydrating your body.
- Always take a hot tea (preferable Chamomile tea or green tea) which contains aromatic oils with antiviral properties
- It is one of the oldest remedy used by many people to get rid of the cold problem
- You can also try tea with other items like ginger, thyme, horsemint, lemon balm, garlic, onions, yarrow mint or mustard.
- Take this tea at least twice a day to prevent the cold & its symptoms.
9 Spicy Food
Eating hot and spicy food will clear all the mucus & ease your stuffy nose. Its effective in getting rid of the germs in the nasal passages as well to prevent you from the cold.
- Eat the food that is very spicy like Peppers, which contains capsaicin in your meals.
- Include spicy food in your diet whenever you feel cold
- But make sure that not to take it too much as it can harm your body.
It helps to ease the pain of a dry & sore throat and it have spicy nature & it works as an effective healing property
- Take a tsp of powdered cinnamon & a glass of water
- Mix it well & boil it for few minutes
- Then mix it well with some pepper powder & honey to get extra effect.
- Repeat the process regularly to get rid of the cold problem
- Or you can include 2-3 drops of cinnamon oil either in food or any other liquid form.
Honey can be used as a cold fighter for many years in shortening the lifespan of cold & its symptoms
- Take a tbsp of honey whenever you feel cold or cough
- It is one of the best remedy for cough treatment, as it soothes & coats the irritated throat
- But make sure that not to give honey to the children who have less than one year of age
It is a natural antiviral, which helps to fight against the illness & bacteria causing the cold & its symptoms.
- Include ginger either in raw form or in cooked form or by drinking it a tea form in your diet will helps to prevent the cold & gives relief from its symptoms.
- Or you can try by taking 10 grams of ginger & cut it into small pieces
- Now boil these ginger pieces in a glass / cup of water
- Drink it twice a day will helps to prevent you from the cold & its symptoms.
- You can give this drink to your children also.
Garlic has antiseptic property which helps in protecting the immune system against the cold & its symptoms & it also acts as a stimulator of white blood cells as it contains allocine.
- Take garlic as a part of your diet either in raw, cooked, soup or in any other form.
- The oil contained in garlic helps to open up the respiratory passages
- Take it regularly to get rid of the cold problem.
- Take an onion, little oil, cup of vinegar & cornmeal
- Saute minced onions by adding a little bit of oil in the pan
- Then mix it well with a cup of vinegar
- Add cornmeal for making it like a fine paste
- Take a muslin cloth, fold it & cover it to retain the heat
- Now apply this warm pack to your throat area or chest area
- Place a towel or blanket around it
- Let it sit for about 15 minutes
- Rinse it off with normal water.
- Continue doing the process regularly to get best results.
15. Raw Onions & Honey:
Onions helps us to get rid of the cold as it absorbs all the germs that causes infection to us. Honey helps to soothe your cold problem
- Take onions, raw honey or sugar
- Cut the red onions into slices
- Now add sugar & honey to it to cover it properly
- Leave it for overnight
- Early in the morning drink 1 tsp of that juice
- Repeat it for about 3 – 8 times a day to get relief from the cold
16 Herbal Tea
Tea actually contains anti oxidants which helps to prevent the cold.
- Take dried chrysanthemum (2 parts), a cup of boiling water & peppermint (1 part)
- Add dried chrysanthemum in boiling water
- Pour the peppermint in it.
- Steep it for about 5 minutes
- Add brown sugar for your taste (optional)
17 Vapor Rubs
Vapor Rubs will give instant relief from the cold & its symptoms. As vapor rubs have camphor, menthol & eucalyptus oil which helps to prevent the cold & cough.
- Take a vapor rub in your hands
- Rub it on your chest, nose, back, neck
- Gently massage it on the above parts
- Leave it for overnight or for leave it like that.
- Repeat the process regularly to get rid of the cold problem.
It has lots of vitamin C which helps to improve the immune system by giving support to the body’s natural defenses.
- Take lemon or its supplements either in juice, tea or any other lemonade form
- Add little honey to it (optional)
- Take it regularly to get rid of the cold
The root of the Astragalus is used as a traditional medicine in china from long ago to strengthen immunity & prevent the cold or flu. It has antiviral, anti oxidant properties which helps to get rid of the cold problem
- Take astragalus either in capsule, tea or extract form
- Traditional Chinese medical practitioners recommend it to take as a soup boiled with astragalus root
- Take it once in a week during winter season to prevent the cold.
- But make sure to consult the specialist as it also have some side effects of kidney failure, low blood pressure etc.
It is one of the old medicines which are used to cure the cold, flu & sinus infections. It contains anthocyaninis helps to improve the immune system & blocks the virus which causes the infection.
- Drink elderberry juice which is available in health food stores
- Or you can take it in capsule or syrup form or any other extract form
- But make sure that taking this herb will have some side effects
- Ask your specialist before taking it.
Tips to Prevent Cold:
- Follow these tips whenever you feel cold to get rid of it immediately & to prevent it from future also.
- Inhale Steam regularly at night time before going to bed which helps to ease your congestion & drippy nose and helps to get better sleep without any breathing problem.
- Use humidifier to prevent the coldness feel in your body & to get relief from the cold.
- Blow your nose frequently in proper way otherwise it will lead to earache.
- Keep yourself warm to prevent the cold & its symptoms.
- Taking proper rest will help to gain energy to fight against the bacteria causing the cold & increases the strength of immune system to get rid of the problem.
- Drink hot liquids which help you to get relief from the nasal congestion & prevents from the dehydration which further helps to soothe the uncomfortably inflamed membranes. So, drink the liquid in warm / hot form like warm water, soups, herbal tea etc.
- Always take steamy bath / shower which moisturizers your nasal passage & helps to get relief from the cold.
- Try using a small dab of mentholated salve, eucalyptus or camphor under your nose, which helps to open up the breathing passages by numbing it to get relief from the pain of a raw rubbed nose.
- Take natural remedies like zinc, Echinacea & vitamin C or take its supplements but make sure that not to take it in too much as it may some side effects if taken too much.
- Prepare tea by adding few basil leaves & crushed ginger along with black pepper which helps to get relief from the cold & cough.
- Regular exercising will helps to make your immune system strong & fight against the virus causing cold & its symptoms. Give importance to Aerobic exercise.
- Avoid dairy products which increase the mucus production in some people. So, check it once & follow this tip.
- Try to avoid touching your face frequently as it spreads the germs causing cold.
- Your hands should be washed frequently after coming from the public places or before eating the food or after touching your face which helps not to spread the germs during winter season. Or simply carry a hand sanitizer to use it whenever you don’t have an access to sink with soap & water to wash your hands.
- Make a good diet plan & follow it to boost up your immune system & get resistance to fight against the germs.
- Take bath or shower with warm water which helps to loosen the mucus & gives relief from headache, cold, sore throat & sinus problems.
- Frequently take hot soups, tea & other hot fluids which help to ward off the problem.
- Avoid smoking which causes the cold & flu more frequently.
- Avoid alcohol consumption as it dehydrates your body & weakens your immune system / resistance to fight against the germs which causes the problems.
- Relax well i.e. get yourself relaxed by taking complete rest or by doing your things which you are interested & feel happy. Make your mind & body in relaxed form.
- While coughing or sneezing, use a tissue rather than covering it with your hands (this spreads the germs easily if you didn’t washed your hands) so use tissue & throw it after using it.
- If possible try to use the disposable items if anyone in the family is affected. So that no one in the family will be affected by spreading of the virus or germs causing colds.
- Keep your surroundings & the things like door knobs, light switches, mobiles, telephones, remote controls keyboards which we use regularly should be kept neat & clean regularly.
- If a cold effects the children then wash your child toys & other things which the children use it to play, read or other surroundings.
- Try to maintain a healthy lifestyle like adequate sleep, good nutrition. Regular exercise, etc., which helps to improve your immune system.
- Control your stress levels by doing yoga, medication.
The above mentioned remedies will definitely give best results in preventing you from the cold without any side effects.