Dry skin is a common problem, especially in winter and more care is needed. Dry skin is a skin condition which makes you uncomfortable, it turns plump cells into shrivelled ones and creates fine lines and wrinkles. Lack of moisture leads to a tightness in the skin, and a need for a proper lubricant to rehydrate. Your skin loses moisture because your skin was unable to hold it or your sweat glands were unable to produce much moisture.
Causes of dry skin are environmental factors of exposure to hot or cold weather with low humidity levels, excessive bathing, harsh detergents and soaps, some household cleaners, etc. People who are suffering from dry skin will experience the symptoms of fine lines or cracks, redness, skin tightness after taking bath, slight to severe flaking, scaling or peeling, itching, skin that feels rough when touched, etc.
Home Remedies for Dry Skin:
Are you one of the sufferers from dry skin and searching for the natural home remedies to get rid of the problem? Here are some amazing natural remedies which can be prepared at home with simple kitchen ingredients.
1. Olive Oil and Egg Yolk
Olive oil contains natural antioxidants enriched with vitamin E and K. Egg yolk has vitamin A and other essential proteins which controls the shedding of skin to make it smooth and soft.
- Whip a teaspoon of olive oil and two egg yolks.
- Apply this to your skin and leave for a few minutes until it dries.
- Wash it with normal water and apply moisturiser.
- For better results, add a few drops of lime juice and rose water.
- Follow regularly.
2. Banana and Yogurt
Banana has vitamin A that restores the lost moisture to prevent the dry skin. Yogurt helps to moisturize and locks it. They also exfoliate dead cells.
Process – 1:
- Mash a ripe banana and add some yoghurt.
- Apply this paste on the dry patches and leave for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water and continue doing this process regularly.
Process – 2:
- Mash a ripe banana and apply this directly on the face and other dry patched areas.
- Avoid contact with eyes and leave for about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Wash it away with lukewarm water
- Repeat Regularly
Process – 3:
- Add a tablespoon of sugar to a mashed banana.
- Mix it well and apply this mixture on your dry skin
- Rub it in circular motions.
- Or you can make a paste with honey and banana.
3. Lemon Juice and Sugar
Lemon juice and sugar scrub makes skin soft, smooth and glowing. Vitamin C in lemon lightens skin tone, removes patches on the skin and also encourages skin cell growth to prevent the dry skin. Sugar while scrubbing helps to clean your skin from scaly characteristics and allows to lock the moisture to get rid of the dry skin.
- Mix a teaspoon of sugar with the juice of half lemon.
- Apply it on your face and other dry skin.
- Slowly massage it in a circular motion.
- Scrub for about 10 – 15 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Store the remaining in an air tight container or jar and apply it regularly.
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut is a natural moisturizer and when applied, it makes your skin feel softer and removes the scaly characteristics to make it look naturally moisturized. It contains fatty acids that allow skin to lock in the moisture and prevent dry skin.
- Apply coconut oil to your dry skin and leave it on for overnight.
- Wash it the next morning.
- Do this regularly at night time.
5. Avocado and Honey
Avocado and honey contains sterolin and humectants and helps to lock the moisture in skin pores and prevents the dry skin.
- Mix half a mashed avocado with half a cup of honey.
- Apply this as a mask on dry skin.
- Leave for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with normal water and repeat regularly.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has soothing, healing and moisturizing properties which prevents dry skin. It removes the flaky skin by gently sloughs away the top layer of the dead skin cells.
- Squeeze the juice from a fresh aloe vera leaf.
- Apply this to the dry skin and leave for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy once or twice a day.
- Or you can simply use aloe vera based moisturizer regularly.
Honey tightens, softens and moisturizes dry skin. Honey massage helps to increase the circulation and encourages deep moisturizing action to prevent the dry skin.
- Apply a small amount of pure honey directly on the dry skin.
- Massage it gently with your fingers for about 2 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water and apply moisturizer.
- Repeat once a day.
8. Sea Salt
Salt can hydrate the dry skin when used it either as bath or as salt scrub.
Process – 1:
- Add a cup of sea salt to a tub of warm water.
- Mix it well and soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Repeat the process regularly.
Process – 2:
- Mix a cup of coarse sea salt with 1/4 cup of vegetable glycerin.
- Rub this mixture over the skin in circular motion
- Rinse it off with warm water followed by oil based moisturizer.
- Or you can massage a handful of salt onto wet skin after shower or bath.
9. Almond Oil
Almond oil is great source of vitamin E and it is a non greasy oil which absorbs easily into the skin. Those who are allergic to nuts avoid almond oil or consult doctor before applying it.
- Apply a few drops of almond oil on your face and other dry skin parts.
- Massage gently for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Leave for about 10 – 15 minutes and rinse it off with warm water.
- Following this process regularly.
10. Baking Soda
Baking soda helps to relieve itching by exfoliating the skin and moisturizes the skin. It is a skin friendly and anti inflammatory which helps to give relief from the dry skin when applied.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda with a quart water.
- Have a sponge bath to get rid of the dry skin.
- Or add a cup of baking soda to a tub of hot water.
- Soak it for 30 minutes and allow it to dry.
- Apply moisturizer after taking bath and repeat the process regularly.
11. Castor Oil
Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid and vitamin E which keeps your skin safe against soap, warm water and other factors causing dryness in winter. Natural astringents of castor oil will remove the impurities and nourishes your skin.
- Apply a few drops of castor oil over the face and other dry skin.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Wash it in the morning.
- Follow this process regularly.
Milk makes skin smooth and supple. It improves skin elasticity, complexion, water retaining capacity and keeps your body look moisturized and fresh. The best milk to use is full cream milk or goat’s milk. Milk also contains lactic acid which locks the moisturize.
Process – 1:
- Add a teaspoon or two of almond oil to a glass of warm milk.
- Mix it well and apply to the skin before bed time.
- Leave it on for overnight.
- Repeat regularly.
Process – 2:
- Pour a cup of raw milk into a tub of warm water.
- Soak in this for at least 10 – 15 minutes.
- Repeat regularly.
Curd contains antioxidants which help relieve dry skin. Curd has cooling effects and has lactic acid which helps to moisturize.
- Apply 1/2 cup of curd over dry skin.
- Massage gently in a circular motion.
- Leave it on for about 20 – 25 minutes and wash it off with water.
- Repeat it regularly.
14. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar removes the small patches of dry, itchy skin and prevents dry skin.
- Add 2 – 3 cups of vinegar to your bath water.
- Stir it well and soak in it for about 20 – 30 minutes before washing it off.
- Repeat regularly.
Oatmeal is fully packed with vitamin E and other essential nutrients which are vital for healthy skin. It not only helps to prevent the dry skin but also soothes your skin.
- Add a cup of water to a cup of oatmeal.
- Rub your face, hands and legs with wet oatmeal instead of soap.
- Wash with normal water, dry it with a towel and then rub the skin with dry oatmeal.
- Repeat continuously.
16. Diet Plan
Planning diet will help a lot in keeping your body and mind healthy.
- Include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Include spices like turmeric, cumin, coriander which helps to soothe and relieve dry skin.
- Eat oily fishes like salmon which is rich in essential fatty acids and also alleviates dry skin.
- Drink water as much as possible. Drink at least 8 – 10 glasses of water to keep hydrated.
Tips to Reduce Dry Skin:
- Regularly apply moisturizer to your body after taking bath which helps to form a protective layer on the skin and keep it hydrated.
- Winter makes the air dry so always have a humidifier which helps to add moisturizer to the air and prevents the dry skin. Change the water and clean the humidifier regularly.
- Use petroleum jelly and glycerin oil on the skin.
- Always have lukewarm or cool showers. Hot water draws away the skin’s essential and valuable oils and leaves your skin dry.
- Select the soaps which contain fat or oil like liquid soaps rather than bar soaps.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Protect your skin by wearing sunscreen and moisturizing lotions.
- Regular exercise will also helps to get rid of the dry skin and also helps to maintain healthy skin and mind.
- It’s better to wear vinyl gloves whenever you wash dishes, clean room, house or furniture, etc. which helps to protect your hands from chapping, chaffing and other harsh chemicals.
- Get sufficient sleep.
- Use the herbs like basil, thyme, mint, etc.
- Natural fibers like cotton and silk will allow your skin to breathe, but wool will irritates normal skin. So, choose the fabrics that will suite to your skin and body.
If these methods don’t relieve your symptoms or if you’re symptoms worsen then immediately consult doctor or dermatologist for advice and treatment.
Try these remedies and let us know which remedies worked for you and don’t forget to share any other remedies which worked for you.