Warts are non cancerous and stubborn growths developed due to virus called human papillomavirus. They are usually painless and don’t pose any major health issue. But they can be quite distressing and unsightly.
A weak immune system can make warts worse, yet it is very rare. Though warts are not considered contagious, it can spread through skin to skin contact.
Through synthetic ways and surgery, one can get rid of warts but those methods come have their own problems and side effects. Don’t worry, simple home remedies like castor oil and garlic can get rid of warts as well.
Surprised? Yes, the International Journal of Dermatology indicates that garlic can eliminate warts in 80% of the people.
How effective is Garlic for Warts?
- The allicin present in garlic contains powerful antiviral and anti-tumor properties which deal with human papillomavirus causing warts.
- It strengthens the immune system when consumed.
- Because of its caustic nature, it will make warts blister and fall off.
How to Use Garlic for Warts?
There are different ways available to treat warts with garlic. We have listed them below. You can try any method as per your convenience.
Before trying any treatment, make sure to clean warts with antibacterial soap and pat dry every time.
Consume fresh garlic cloves daily to strengthen your immune system. If you are taking blood- thinning medicines or undergoing surgery in few days then avoid garlic consumption. Below is the topical application of garlic.
- Crush a garlic clove and apply the paste on warts.
- Secure the area with a bandage.
- Leave it overnight and remove the bandage next morning.
- Rinse off with water and reapply the crushed garlic and secure with a bandage.
- Repeat the process every 6 – 8 hours every day until the wart comes off.
- Alternatively, you can place a sliced garlic clove and secure it with a bandage.
- Alternatively, you can use duct tape instead of bandage.
2. Garlic Oil
- Take some garlic oil in a small bowl.
- Using a cotton ball or Q-tip apply garlic oil on warts.
- Wear socks or hang gloves on it and go to sleep.
- Next morning, rinse off warts with water.
- Repeat the process nightly.
3. Garlic with Castor Oil
- Using a q-tip apply a small amount of castor oil on warts.
- Now cover the warts with sliced garlic and secure it with a band aid.
- Leave it overnight and remove and rinse off with water.
- Repeat daily.
- Alternatively, you can use a duct tape instead of band-aid.
4. Garlic with Vitamin E Oil
This process is also effective on genital warts, oral warts and flat warts apart from warts on hands, face, and feet.
- Remove the content of one vitamin E oil capsule.
- Using a cotton ball, apply it on warts.
- Now apply crushed garlic (1 clove) on it.
- Secure the area with an adhesive tape.
- Repeat the process 2 times a day until you see the results.
5. Garlic with Onion
- Combine equal amounts of onion paste and garlic paste.
- Apply it on warts and cover it with bandage.
- Leave it for 2 days and remove bandage and rinse off with water.
- Repeat the process again and again until you see the results.
- If you are able to handle the irritation caused by the mixture, you can also sprinkle salt onto the mixture.
6. Garlic Juice for Genital Warts
Apart from genital warts, you can also use this process on flat warts.
- Make some liquid extract of garlic cloves.
- Using a cotton ball, apply it on genital wart or flat warts.
- Secure with an adhesive tape.
- Remove and rinse off with water after few hours.
- Repeat the application 3 – 4 times a day.
7. Garlic with Olive Oil
- Cut juliennes of 1 garlic clove.
- Soak them in enough olive oil for few hours.
- Remove them from olive oil, place them on warts and secure with a bandage.
- Leave it overnight, remove and rinse off next morning.
- Repeat daily.
8. Garlic with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Crush 1 garlic clove and mix it will enough amounts of apple cider vinegar.
- Apply the mixture on warts and secure the area with an adhesive tape.
- Leave it overnight and rinse it off the next morning.
- Repeat the process daily until you achieve the results.
9. Garlic with Vaseline
- Apply a thin layer of Vaseline on warts.
- Now apply crushed garlic (1 clove) on it.
- Secure everything with bandage.
- Let it sit for 5 hours and remove the bandage.
- Rinse the area with water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process 2 times a day.
10. Garlic for Tongue Warts
- Mash 1 garlic clove to paste.
- Mix it with enough amounts of water.
- Apply the paste on warts and secure with bandage.
- Leave it for few hours and rinse off with water.
- Repeat 2 times a day until you see the results.
- Alternatively, you can use honey instead of water.
11. Garlic Capsules or Tablets for Warts
If you cannot withstand the burning sensation of garlic, then you can consider garlic supplements. Garlic capsules or tablets show same effect as fresh garlic. Consult your doctor to know the correct dosage as per your medical condition.
Tips and Precautions
- Wash warts thoroughly with anti-bacterial soap before trying garlic methods.
- Application of garlic causes burning sensation. If you cannot withstand it, avoid it and try different methods.
- Don’t touch warts of other people, as they can spread through skin contact.
- Treat the cuts or cracks immediately, as the virus can easily access them to enter the body.
- Don’t attempt to cut, shave or clip your warts.
- You should keep the areas surrounding warts dry, because human papillomavirus thrives in a warm and moist environment.
- Wear shower sandals while using bathrooms and fitness centers.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly after applying the treatment on warts.
- If you warts are painful, emit pus or blood, change their appearance or start to spread, it is important to consult a physician as soon as possible.
- Don’t share footwear or socks with people having warts.
We hope you will try garlic remedies to treat your warts. If you want to share your experience, suggestions or queries with us, write to us in the comments section below. We are happy to hear from you.