Back pain is one of the most common complaints among adults. Approximately 83 million people are affected by this condition. The prevalence of back pain increases with growing age and it is considered one of the major causes of disability around the world.
A strain in the back muscle or ligament is one of the most common causes of back pain. But it can also be a result of chronic inflammatory disease such as arthritis, osteoarthritis and sciatica.
Is Ginger Useful for Relieving Back Pain?
- The powerful anti-inflammatory properties of ginger relieve pain caused by inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and muscular discomfort.
- Ginger stimulates blood circulation to the affected areas which in turn alleviates pain and discomfort.
- The slight warming effect of ginger relaxes the tense muscles and nerves. This helps to relieve back pain caused by stress.
How to Use Ginger for Back Pain?
Ginger can be used in different ways to reduce back pain. We have mentioned them below with a detailed description.
1. Ginger Compress
- Grate a 5 inch piece of fresh ginger and wrap it in clean cheesecloth.
- Tie up the cheesecloth and immerse it in hot water for 30 seconds.
- Let it cool a bit and place it on the painful area for 10 minutes.
- Use this compress at least 3 to 4 times a day.
2. Ginger Oil Rub
- Take 2 tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl and add 10 to 15 drops of ginger essential oil to it.
- Give it a stir and apply this oil generously over the affected areas.
- Rub the area gently for a few minutes so that the oil soaks into the skin.
- Cover the area with a clean towel for few minutes.
- Repeat the process 3 – 4 times in a day.
3. Ground Ginger Salve
- Peel, chop and blend a 5 inch piece of fresh ginger.
- Apply the ginger paste directly over the affected areas and cover with a towel.
- Wait for 30 minutes and wash off with water.
Note – You can also use ginger powder mixed with water if you don’t have fresh ginger paste.
4. Ginger and Turmeric Tea
Active ingredient curcumin present in turmeric has potent anti-inflammatory properties that help to relieve back pain caused by chronic inflammation in case of arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- Add 1 teaspoon of freshly grated turmeric and ginger root into a cup of water.
- Bring the water to a boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea from heat, add a little bit of coconut oil or flaxseed oil to it and drink it.
Note – You can also add some honey or lemon juice to the tea to enhance the taste.
5. Ginger Tea with Honey
The healing properties of honey help to cure the inflammation in tissues, muscles and joints. It can also relieve back pain caused by arthritis.
- Take a few slices of fresh ginger and add it to a cup of boiling water.
- Let the water simmer for 10 minutes and then cover it and let it steep for another 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add a tablespoon of raw honey to it and drink this tea while it is still warm.
Note – It is best to use Manuka honey for this remedy. You can also use Manuka honey to massage the affected area.
6. Ginger and Garlic Oil Massage
Sulfur compound thiacremonone present in garlic inhibits inflammatory response in the body which in turn helps to relieve back pain caused by sciatica and arthritis.
- Heat some coconut oil or mustard oil on low heat and add 8 to 10 cloves of crushed garlic to it.
- Fry the garlic till its golden brown.
- Strain the oil and add 10 to 12 drops of ginger oil to it.
- Let the oil cool down a bit and then massage your back with this oil.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then take a warm shower.
- Repeat the process regularly.
7. Ginger and Valerian Root Tea
Valerian is called nature’s tranquilizer that relieves back pain by relaxing the sore and stressed muscles of the back. It is a natural pain killer that works by reducing the sensitivity of the nerves.
- To a cup of warm water, add a tablespoon of fresh or dried valerian root and a few ginger slices.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink it while it’s still warm.
- Repeat the process 2 – 3 times in day.
Note – Valerian root is bitter in taste, so you might add honey to sweeten the tea.
8. Ginger and Chamomile Tea
Chamomile helps to relieve back pain caused by arthritis, fibromyalgia and stress by reducing inflammation and relaxing the tight and stressed muscles.
- Add a tablespoon of dried chamomile petals and few slices of ginger to a cup of hot water.
- Cover the cup and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink it.
- You can drink 2 to 3 cups of this tea daily.
9. Ginger Milk
Milk is one of the richest sources of calcium that strengthens the bones and joint. Providing adequate amount of calcium to the body helps to prevent and alleviate back pain.
- Bring a glass of milk to boil and add a tablespoon of ginger paste or ginger powder to it.
- Stir it using a spoon and drink this milk while it is still warm.
- You can also add a teaspoon of honey to sweeten the milk.
- You can drink it twice daily.
10. Epsom Salt and Ginger Compress
The high content of magnesium and sulfate in Epsom salt helps to relieve inflammation and relax the stressed muscles and nerves. This helps to reduce back pain caused by stress.
- Add a cup of Epsom salt and 2 tablespoons of freshly crushed ginger to a pot of hot water.
- Soak a clean towel in this water, wring out the excess water and place the wet towel on your back.
- Leave it on the back until it cools down.
- Resoak it and apply it to your back several times.
- Repeat the process regularly.
11. Basil and Ginger Decoction
The powerful anti-inflammatory capacity of basil helps to relieve back pain caused by arthritis and other inflammatory conditions.
- Take 8 to 10 fresh basil leaves and add it to a cup of water.
- Bring the water to boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Now add a few slices of ginger to this tea and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the decoction and drink it 2 to 3 times a day.
Tips and Precautions:
- Ginger can be consumed raw, cooked, pickled or crystallized. One can also consume dried ginger or ginger powder. For medicinal purposes, it is best to take ginger extract in the form of capsule.
- The daily intake of ginger should be limited to 2 to 4 grams.
- Moderate use of ginger is considered safe for pregnant or nursing women, but they should not consume ginger for medicinal purposes.
- Ginger can cause mild side effects such as heartburn, diarrhea , stomach discomfort or increased menstrual bleeding.
- People suffering from heart conditions, diabetes or gallstones should avoid using high doses of ginger.
- Maintain healthy body weight to reduce the stress on your back.
- Keep your back muscles strong by doing muscle-strengthening exercises and yoga.
- Always focus on good posture, while sitting, standing and sleeping.
- Be careful while lifting heavy objects. It is better to bend at the knees rather than at the back.
- Avoid soft mattresses; opt for a medium to firm mattress to provide support to your back while sleeping.
Try out these remedies for back pain using ginger and don’t forget to share you tips and suggestions with us in the comments section below.