In the article below you will find some methods that have been shown to cure an upset stomach, all of which use the healing spice of ginger.
Is Ginger Good for an Upset Stomach?
Ginger contains the following properties which makes it effective in treating an upset stomach.
- Ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties that helps to increase the digestive juices and neutralizes the stomach, giving relief from an upset stomach and stomach pain.
- It contains strong anti-oxidants called gingerols and shogaols, both of which decrease the free radicals production and the damage they do to the body. It also helps to relax the intestinal tract and which can give instant relief.
- It helps the food flow smoothly through the digestive tract by allowing better absobtion of nutrients.
- It will effectively eliminate any extra gas from the intestinal tract.
- It stimulates the production of saliva, bile, gastric juices, etc. which aids in better digestion and prevent gas.
- It relaxes muscles and relieves cramping that lessens the chance of backed up food in the digestive system.
- It improves blood circulation by boosting blood flow and reducing inflammation.
Ginger for Upset Stomach Treatment:
Try these popular methods at home to help you get rid of the problem.
This process is used to treat stomach gas, stomach ache and upset stomach and gas problems.
- Eat 1 gram of freshly peeled ginger per day.
- You could also add ginger as a spice in your food to get relief from upset stomach.
- Cut fresh ginger into slices. Sprinkle salt on every piece. Chew these as often as possible.
- This ginger can also be taken in the form of pills, ginger ale or tincture etc.
- Candied, chews or crystallized ginger can help with car sickness. Making sure that the products you pick contain pure ginger, not just flavourings.
2. Ginger Salad Dressing
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of grated ginger, a tablespoon of soy sauce (tamari), 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 4 tablespoons of raw sesame oil and a smashed clove of garlic.
- Use this as salad dressing regularly.
3. Ginger Juice, Lemon Juice and Salt
- Mix 2 teaspoons of ginger juice, a teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of table salt or black salt.
- Consume this with or without water.
- Take when you feel the symptoms coming on.
4. Candied Ginger
- Slice fresh ginger into 1/2 –inch thick pieces.
- Dip these into honey.
- Add a little butter and cook it for 3 – 5 minutes over low heat on a skillet.
- Transfer onto a cookie sheet and allow it to cool and harden for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Consume regularly.
5. Crystallized Ginger
- Peel 2 fist –sized pieces of fresh ginger (1 – 2 lbs) and cut into thin slices.
- Add enough water to ginger in a pot and heat over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, partly covered, for 20 minutes.
- Let it cool and drain. Make sure to keep the water.
- Now add equal quantities of cooked ginger slices and sugar in that pan along with 1/4 cup of extracted water and a pinch of salt.
- Boil for few minutes over medium heat till it becomes thick syrup.
- Separate the slices and dry them on a rack (overnight or 7 – 10 hours).
- Coat these with the sugar mixture and store it an airtight container in a refrigerator (for longer storage time)
- Eat this regularly.
6. Ginger with Carrot Soup
- Pour 2 cups of water into a saucepan and heat it for few minutes to boiling point.
- Add 4 teaspoons of minced fresh ginger and 1 ½ cup of baby carrots.
- Mix and cover, cook over a medium heat for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Let it cool before blending to a liquid.
- Stir in buttermilk and salt.
- Consume as often as you feel the need.
Ginger Tea for Upset Stomach:
Drinking ginger tea will help to give relief not only from an upset stomach, but also other stomach problems like cramps, nausea, bloating, stomach aches and gas.
7. Ginger Tea
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger to a cup of hot water.
- Stir it well and steep it for 3 – 5 minutes
- Strain the tea and add honey or sugar to taste.
- Drink twice a day.
- This process also used to cure the stomach pain, stomach gas, upset stomach and gas.
- Peel the skin off 1-inch of fresh ginger root.
- Cut into thin slices.
- Pour 2 cups of water into a pan.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add the ginger and cover. Reduce the heat to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Optionally, you can add cinnamon sticks and/or honey or lemon for additional benefits and flavour.
- You should feel relief within 10 – 15 minutes.
8. Ginger Tea Bag
- Fill a mug with water and microwave for 2 – 4 minutes.
- Place a tea bag of ginger tea in it.
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes or longer for more strength.
- Remove the tea bag and add 3 drops of lemon juice.
- Sip this ginger tea slowly to get relief from upset stomach.
9. Ginger and Black Tea Leaves
- Boil 3 ¼ cups of hot water and 1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh ginger.
- Add 2 tablespoons loose black tea leaves, stir and cover.
- Allow it to sit for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of evaporated milk and 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk.
- Pour through a sieve into a blender and blend until foamy.
- Drink this tea.
10. Ginger, Lemon and Honey Tea
This combination will work well in curing the upset stomach as ginger stimulates digestion, lemon is alkalinizing and honey is soothing.
- Bring 2 cups of water to the boil.
- Add a 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root (peeled and sliced thinly or ground), two 1 –inch pieces of lemon peel and juice of half a lemon.
- Mix all the ingredients well and simmer it for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add honey to sweeten.
11. Ginger with Sage Tea
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of dried sage, 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger and a teaspoon of sugar and add to a cup of boiling water.
- Cover the cup.
- Allow it to steep for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink it slowly.
12. Ginger Juice
- Peel some fresh ginger and cut it into thin slices.
- Add 2 – 3 cups of sugar and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for about 4 – 6 hours and allow it to cool.
- Drink half a cup a few times a day or add a few spoonfuls to your tea.
Does Ginger Ale help Upset Stomach?
Natural ginger ale is full of medical compounds of ginger root with sugar and carbonation of soda, all of which help to calm an upset stomach. Ginger ale is an organic soft drink that causes carbonation to relieve pain and discomfort. The air bubbles cause an alleviating effect that calms the upset stomach. Ginger ale with water or fruit juice helps to replenish and restore the fluids in the body during intense upset stomach.
13. Ginger Ale for Upset Stomach Treatment:
You can prepare ginger ale at home by using below methods.
Method – 1: (Ginger Ale)
- Steep one cup of finely chopped ginger in 2 cups of warm water for about 5 minutes.
- Let it cool for 20 – 25 minutes and then strain.
- Boil a cup of sugar in a cup of boiling water to make syrup.
- Mix 1/2 cup of the ginger water, 1/3 cup of the sugar syrup and 1/2 cup of club soda.
- Squeeze a lemon wedge for additional flavor.
- Mix it well and enjoy the ginger ale to get relief from the upset stomach.
14. Old-Fashioned Process
Ingredients: 1 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger root, 1/4 teaspoon of fresh granular baker’s yeast, juice of 1 lemon and water.
- Add the sugar to a bottle then the baker’s yeast through funnel.
- Shake to mix.
- Mix the ginger roots and lemon juice together and add to the bottle.
- Pour fresh water in bottle and put the cap and shake the bottle well to activate the yeast.
- Fill with more water to the bottle’s neck and shake again.
- Place this ale in warm location for about 24 – 48 hours.
- Squeeze the bottle forcefully with the thumb to see if it is carbonated.
- If it dents then it is not ready yet and wait for some time to get fermentation.
- Once the bottle feels hard to squeeze, place this in the refrigerator.
- Drink as often as you need.
Ingredients: 1 ½ ounces of finely grated fresh ginger, 3/4 cup of sugar, 7 ½ cups of filtered water, 1/8 teaspoon of active dry yeast and 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Add ginger, sugar, 1/2 cup of water to a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Stir the mixture for few minutes until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Cover it and allow it to steep for an hour off the heat.
- Strain the syrup through fine mesh strainer.
- Press to get all the essential juices out the mixture then place in the refrigerator until it reaches room temperature (20 – 22 degree C).
- Place a funnel on the top of a bottle and pour this solution into it.
- Add the yeast, lemon juice and remaining water.
- Shake well to mix.
- Leave for about 40 – 48 hours. Make sure it is carbonated.
- Keep refrigerated and consume when needed.
15. Ginger Beer For Stomach Upset:
1. Ginger Beer
Ginger beer is a non-alcoholic beer that gives relief from many problems like upset stomach, acid indigestion, heartburn, GERD, nausea, etc.
- Pound 4 oz of dried ginger root using meat tenderizer.
- Boil in 1/2 gallon of water then remove from the heat.
- Mix a packet of dry yeast with the juice of a lemon and then add this to a cup of warm water.
- Pour the two mixtures together.
- Add another half gallon of water to the solution and leave it to brew for 24 hours.
- Strain to remove the ginger root and add sugar as per your taste.
- Dissolve the sugar completely and refrigerate.
- Consume when needed.
2. Homemade Sugar Free Ginger Beer
- Grate or dice 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger finely.
- Put in a small jar and add a squeeze of a lemon.
- Allow it to soak for an hour.
- Strain the juice into a jar.
- Add seltzer water to fill up the jar and add a sweetener of your choice (Xylitol and aspartame both taste good with ginger beer)
- Drink as and when you want.
3. Jamaican Ginger Beer
- Wash 3/4 lb of ginger root and cut into small pieces.
- Blend 3 cups of water, cup of sugar and ginger.
- Keep in a dark, dry place for about 24 hours.
- Strain the mixture and add water to bring it up to 2 quarts.
- Add 2 ounces of lime juice and 2 cups of sugar.
- Mix and drink to get relief.
16. Ginger for Upset Stomach and Gas:
Ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties that help to ease the inflammation and gives relief from the indigestion and hyper acidity.
1. Ginger Juice
- Mix a teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to a teaspoon of lime juice.
- Take immediately after eating.
- Do this regularly.
- Mix ginger juice and sugar in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this juice to get rid of bloating and flatulence.
- Alternatively rub ginger and essential oil mixed with any carrier oil on your stomach.
2. Ginger with Black Pepper, Mint Leaves and Coriander Seeds
- Grind ginger powder, black pepper, dried milt leaves and coriander seeds of equal quantity to make a fine powder.
- Take this a teaspoonful of powder twice a day for fast relief.
- Repeat this process regularly.
Tips and Precautions to Treat Upset Stomach Using Ginger:
Follow these tips and warnings for best results.
- Consult with a healthcare professional before using ginger tea regularly if you suffer from heart problems, diabetes, ulcers and bleeding disorder.
- Breast feeding women should avoid taking it.
- Taking large amounts of fresh ginger may irritate the mouth, oesophagus and stomach.
- Carbonated drinks like ginger ale should be taken flat and drink ginger tea that is caffeine free.
- Avoid ginger ale if you’re hyperglycaemic, unable to consume sugary beverages, are experiencing an allergic reaction, nausea or heartburn. Only consume 4 grams or less of ginger. Consuming more than this can lead to many health problems.
- Try other pure ginger products like candies, capsules, pills, tincture, etc. as an alternative.
Have you tried any of these methods or know any other methods to get rid of the upset stomach? Please share your experience with us.