Heartburn is also known as Pyrosis, cardialgia or acid indigestion. It is a burning sensation caused in the chest just behind the breast bone & the pain will extends to neck, throat & face. If it occurs, the situation becomes worse when bending or lying down. Heartburn can happen when your stomach acids come up into esophagus (tube that carries food from mouth to stomach), then acids back up & cause a burning sensation in the chest. Here are some homemade natural remedies which can helps to prevent the heartburn & make it not to turn to GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease).
Symptoms of Heartburn:
Following are the symptoms which appear in your body when you face the problem of Heartburn.
- Burning sensation in the chest
- Burning feeling in the throat
- Sour or bitter taste in the mouth
- Facing difficulty in swallowing
- Chronic cough, sore throat or chronic hoarseness.
- Asthma or wheezing symptoms
- Burning sensations just below the ribs or breastbone
- Pain which comes after taking over meals or lying on the back, exercising or when experiencing the anxiety.
- A feel that food was sticking in the middle of the chest or throat.
Triggers of Heartburn:
These are the triggers which causes the heartburn. so, try to reduce it or if possible avoid taking these foods to prevent the heartburn.
- Eating too much food at once.
- Eating in hurry as it doesn’t make good digestion.
- Over usage of pills for headache, sleeping, heartburn or any problem.
- Fish oil Supplements.
- Genetic factors.
- Spicy, oily & Acidic food.
- Fish, chicken, beef kabobs, fried chicken & other non vegetarian foods.
- Chips, burgers, French fries, funnel cakes,grilled onions, grilled peppers, hamburger, hot salsa, ice creams & other snack items.
- Over spicy curries, rice, butter, mustard & ketchup’s, pickles, sauerkraut etc.
Home Remedies for Heartburn:
Try these natural homemade remedies instead of over the counter (OTC) medicine. These remedies will prevent Heartburn & also helps it not to repeat in future also.
1 Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera contains Anti inflammatory property & soothe the burns. So take Aloe Vera gel or its juice after taking meals.
2 Slippery Elm
It is a medicinal herb used to cure many problems including GERD symptoms. It is a demulcent that provides a coating or protective layer to thicken the tissues of stomach & creating strong barriers to acids. So include it in your diet by adding couple tablespoons of slippery elm in water & drink it after taking meals or at bed time.
It has a natural stomach healing property but taking it a lot will have effects on high blood pressure & hypertension etc, so it is recommended to use DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated licorice) tablets or capsule before meals.
4 Chewing Gum
Chewing gum will stimulates the salivary flow rate & any acid that was there in the gut is washed away & clearance of acid will improves the GERD symptoms. Take a sugar free chewing gum regularly after taking your meals.
5 Baking Soda
Baking soda is a natural antacid which helps to neutralize the acids & give temporary relief from heartburn. Take a teaspoon of baking soda & dissolve it in 8 ounces of water. Drink it to get instant relief from heartburn. Careful while taking, as it has some drawbacks also.
Banana acts as a natural antacid which helps to prevent the heartburn. So take banana regularly to avoid this problem.
1 Chamomile Tea
It helps to relieve tension & it has anti inflammatory & soothing properties. Taste the tea to neutralize the stomach acids & then heartburn.
Process to make Chamomile tea:
- Take a cup & add dried chamomile flowers in it.
- Pour hot water in it.
- Allow it to infuse for about 3 minutes.
- Strain it in another cup by using a strainer
- Drink the tea if you want you can add lemon & honey to it.
8 Apple Cider Vinegar
It heels the stomach problems & helps to get faster digestion & at last relief from the heartburn. Follow the following steps.
- Add 2 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in half cup of water or apple juice.
- Stir it well.
- Take the drink immediately after completing the meals.
- Or it can be taken in the form of tablet, capsule or liquid.
Ginger will soothe the stomach & promote digestion. It is one of the oldest remedy to treat heartburn. It can take ginger in any form i.e., either raw, cooked or tea.
It helps to get faster digestion & prevent acid build up. You can take it either through curry food or any other items or capsule form.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away yes it is true it is a medical herb to get relief from many problems/diseases. Here it is also useful to prevent heartburn. Apples reduce the acid production & neutralize it in your stomach and reduce burning sensations. You can take apples either in raw or cooked form to get rid of the problem.
12 The use of Spice Rack
Use spicy items like Cardamom, Cinnamon, ginger, sage etc., to get relief from the heartburn as it helps in digestion & relieves the burn of acid indigestion. Careful not to take overdose as it effects the stomach system again.
13 Your Own Antacid:
Make your own antacids which will helps to get the instant relief. By knowing the information on the box of antacids. Try the following processes to make your own antacids.
Process – 1:
- Take 1/2 tsp of baking soda & add it in 1/2 glass water. Mix it well
- Take it when you feel heartburn & gets instant relief from it.
- People who are under any treatment or people who have nausea, stomach ache, gas, cramps should not do this & take it as antacids.
Process – 2:
- Take 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar with 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
- Mix it well in a glass of water
- Take 1 tsp of the solution whenever it is needed
Process – 3:
- Take 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with 1 tbsp of honey.
- Mix it well with 1 cup of warm water
Almonds also help to prevent the heartburn, as it contains high oil which neutralizes the acid levels in the stomach. Take a handful of almonds chew or eat the almonds & not more than 30 minutes you will get the relief from heartburn.
15 Basil / Indian Tulsi
Basil leaves helps in relieving heartburn as it minimizes the acids in the stomach. So, take few leaves of Basil & chew it to get the relief.
16 Cinnamon or Cardamom
Both are spicy & help to reduce the acid levels in the stomach. Make tea with crushed cinnamon or cardamom by adding 1 cup of boiling water, steep, strain & drink it.
17 Fennel Tea
Fennel Seeds is an excellent herb for heartburn as it helps to cut back on the acid in your stomach but it is not safe for pregnant women. Take 2 tsp of seeds in a cup of boiling water, steep for about 10 minutes & drink it to get the relief from heartburn.
Garlic works well on heartburn as it acts as antibiotic & kills the pathogenic micro organism which causes gastric problems. Chew a clove of garlic when heartburn occurs or you can store a few cloves of garlic in apple cider vinegar & take a sip of liquid when you face the problem. Or you can take garlic in cooked form.
Mustard’s have alkalizing property which contains a weak acid & rich in minerals. It will cure heartburn by neutralizing acids in the stomach without any medicines or chemicals. Consume one or two tbsp of mustards in your mouth which will gives a faster relief from heartburn.
Potatoes are having a property of neutralizing the acid in the stomach & also heal the lining of your esophagus. Take a juice of raw potato & cold water in equal quantity & stir it well until it is cloudy from the starch. Drink that juice which is safe, simple & effective on Heartburn.
21 Pine Apple Juice
Pine apple contains an enzyme called bromelain which helps to reduce hydrochloric acid levels in your stomach & effectively reduce hyper acidity & heartburn. Drink 4 oz of pineapple juice after meals to solve the problem.
22 Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow helps to coat & protect the mucous membrane of esophagus & reduces heartburn. Take one tsp of powdered marshmallow root & add it to a cup of warm water. Sip it several times a day when you feel heartburn to get relief from it.
Tips to Prevent Heartburn:
Following are the few best tips to prevent heartburn.
- Avoid oily, spicy & Acidic foods and foods that contain tomatoes, onions, chocolates, coffee, alcohol, caffeine & other dishes which contain high levels of fat to reduce & prevent the heart burn.
- Don’t eat the food that causes the heartburn like citrus fruits or its juice, chocolate, peppermint, alcohol, caffeinated beverages, carbonated beverages, chilli dogs, milk etc.,
- Eat less food in more frequent times, which will not increase the upward pressure against esophageal sphincter & reduces the heartburn.
- Wait at least for 2-3 hours after eating/taking meals to go to bed for lying down to sleep.
- Elevate your head while you sleep i.e., don’t lay down flat as it increases the pressure of stomach contents to go up against the lower esophageal sphincter & when the head is higher than stomach it reduces pressure & thereafter it reduces the heartburn.
- Avoid smoking; smoke contains nicotine which stimulates the production of acids in stomach.
- Stress is also a reason to cause heart burn. So try to avoid stress by doing yoga, meditation etc.
- Take Antacids either in tablet or liquid form to get instant heel from the burn but careful not to take it in overdose as it gives side effects.
- Consult the specialist before taking painkillers as it burns the esophagus & stomach which finally leads to heartburn. Try acetaminophen for pain relief rather than aspirin, ibuprofen & other products.
- Drink water in between meals & avoid drink fluids with meals which increase the volume of stomach contents & causes heartburn.
- Include stomach cooling juices like papaya, mango, guava, pear or cabbage, raw potatoes, soda crackers, buttermilk (acid reliever), fermented milk & food like almonds, brown rice, soy products in your diet to prevent the problem of heartburn.
- Avoid skin tight jeans or clothes as it adds pressure on abdomen.
- Eat the food slowly by taking smaller bites.
- Eat more fiber food to get easily digested.
- Do some regular excise to prevent heartburn.
- Put wood blocks under your bed to raise your head slightly high for about 6 inches.
- Drink plenty of water to resolve the problem.It’s better to prepare your favorite food in different way by trimming extra fat off in your food.