High blood pressure or hypertension is a major health problem that increases the risk of getting heart attacks, strokes, eye damages, arteriosclerosis and kidney failure. One will get this high blood pressure for the reason that when the blood vessels get clogged then its flow will be obstructed within the body in all directions and thus it exerts much pressure to get its way ahead in each and every direction. This pressure of blood is termed as high blood pressure or hypertension. Also remember that this blood blockage puts so much of pressure on the heart (which is pumping the blood) and makes it to beat harder which leads to heart attack or stroke or even failure of kidney functioning.
Blood pressure (BP) is generally considered as the force or pressure in which the blood pumps from heart into the arteries and when this blood pressure is high then the increased force of its flow will put a strain on the arterial walls. This further causes it to become scarred and damaged. This blood pressure is termed as systolic pressure (recorded as the heart beats, generally at a level of 120 mmHg) over the diastolic pressure (time between two beats, generally at a level of 80 mmHg).
Common causes of getting high blood pressure include genetics, stress, obesity, excessive alcohol drinking, high salt intake, age, smoking, lack of aerobic or regular exercise, sleep apnea, pregnancy, excessive intake of birth control pills or pain relievers, diabetes, dehydration, sedentary lifestyles, poor diet, kidney problems, adrenal diseases, etc. can raise the blood pressure.
Common symptoms of this high blood pressure are severe headache, shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea, tinnitus, nosebleed, palpitation, vomiting, chest pain, etc. This high blood pressure is also called as silent killer why because many people don’t find any visible symptoms and thus become unaware of this condition even though they suffer from it.
Blood pressure with a reading of 140/90 mm Hg or above is generally termed as high BP. Even though there are many over the counter medication to get relief from hypertension but you can control the blood pressure naturally by following these remedies and tips.
Home Remedies for High Blood Pressure:
Even though there are various medications that help to lower the blood pressure but in many times they cause some side effects like leg cramps, dizziness and insomnia. Fortunately, there are many natural remedies which are available in your kitchen pantry will help you to lower the blood pressure without any medication. So try these strategies to lower your blood pressure levels and also to reduce the risk of getting other health problems.
Here are some herbal and other home remedies which gives you complete relief if you used them regularly. Try them for perfect blood pressure levels and also to get rid of other health problems caused by this high blood pressure.
Herbal and Other Remedies for High Blood Pressure:
Garlic is an excellent herb that not only treats this high blood pressure but also gives relief from many other health problems like herpes, hay fever, sunburns, arteriosclerosis, cholesterol, etc. This garlic contains an important compound called allicin which do miracle in lowering the blood pressure. This in turn raises the nitric oxide and hydrogen sulfide productions in the body that results in the smooth muscle relaxation and vasodilatation (widening of blood vessels) and this also helps to assist in smooth blood flow throughout the body to prevent the high blood pressure and also removes gas and thus reduces the pressure on the heart.
In some researches it is stated that garlic used in the cooking can’t be that much beneficial as dried garlic. Whenever you’re using raw garlic that is crushed or chewed then it produces the beneficial compound called allicin but remember that this allicin can be destroyed if use this in cooking. So many doctors are recommending this garlic in supplement form like garlic pearls or tablets or even dried garlic in prescribed doses rather than using this garlic in cooking dishes. Eating raw garlic is somewhat a difficult task so you can dry them up and swallow this dried garlic clove with water. It is recommended that 1.8 mg of allicin per dose which is required to show a beneficial effect of garlic on lowering the high blood pressure.
Method – 1:
- Crushed garlic cloves
- Milk – 1 cup
- Take garlic cloves and crush them finely with your hands.
- Consume these cloves to get rid of the problem.
- If you’re unable to eat this raw garlic or else if it causes any burning sensations, then you can simply have this by mixing these cloves in a cup of milk.
- Stir it well and have this regularly to get control over the blood pressure and thereby on heart functionality.
Method – 2:
- Garlic cloves
- Water – 4 tablespoons
- Take few garlic cloves and crush them and extract it juice by placing it on the sieve and pressing it with a spoon.
- Then take 5 – 6 drops of garlic juice and add this to water.
- Stir it well and drink this to get relief from the high blood pressure.
- For more effective results, drink this for twice a day till you get complete relief from the high levels of blood pressure.
Common celery or Apium graveolens and its seed extracts will excellently lowers the high blood pressure and that too without any side effects if you’re already taking high BP drugs. In Chinese traditional medicine this celery is also used to liver problems as one of the hypertension types is associated with liver too. Celery seed extract contains a compound called 3 – n – butyl phthalide (3nB) will not only helps to lower the blood pressure but also gives quick relief from the arthritis. Phthalides help to relax the muscles that are found in and around the arterial walls and thus creates more space and this allows the blood to flow in the body without facing any difficulties.
It also reduces the stress hormones which constrict the blood vessels that contribute to high BP. It has high source of vitamins like vitamin C and minerals like magnesium, potassium and calcium that reduces the BP. Recent study that was conducted on humans has shown that using this celery seed extract dosage of 150 mg per day will significantly decrease both systolic blood pressure (SBP) and diastolic blood pressure (DBP) when this is compared to baseline measurement. Remember that not only celery seed extract but also fresh celery juice can also do wonders of lowering the high BP levels and this is like a nature’s best medicine for the patients those not only treating high BP but also from dizziness, shoulder pain and headache that was associated with this hypertension. Here is the recipe on how to make this celery juice for treating hypertension.
Method – 1:
- Celery juice
- Take equal quantities of celery juice and honey.
- Stir it well and have this cup of this juice to reduce the high blood pressure.
- Drinking this for 3 times a day for at least a week will help to lower the high BP.
- Remember that you can reduce the juice amount that was taken daily after completing a week.
- Or you can mix vinegar in this fresh celery juice to get relief from high BP and other health problems.
Method – 2:
- Celery – 1 stalk
- Water – 1 glass
- Take a stalk of celery and eat them along with water.
- Daily doing this process will help to cut down the high blood pressure levels.
- Or if you interested in eating this in raw form then you can simply munch this celery throughout the day on daily basis.
Basil or ocimum basilicum is an effective herbal remedy that helps to lower the systolic, diastolic and mean blood pressure. A study conducted in China has found that this basil extract will reduce the blood pressure in similar way as the over the counter medication does in lowering the high BP. This herb and its extract will work on affecting the endothelins (proteins used to constrict the blood vessels) levels. The effective and recommended dosage of taking this extract is 30 mg/kg to lower the BP.
Method – 1:
- Fresh basil leaves
- Take few fresh basil leaves and crush them to extract its juice.
- Add this herbal juice to a glass of water and stir it well.
- Drink this water to get rid of the high blood pressure.
- Regular intake of this water will help to get rid of the high BP.
Method – 2:
- Dried basil leaves
- Hot water
- Take few dried basil leaves and add this to a cup.
- Then pour a cup of hot water over it.
- Allow it to steep for few minutes and then strain the tea in another cup.
- Drink this tea to reduce the high blood pressure.
- Regular intake of this tea will help to maintain the proper blood pressure levels.
Method – 3:
- Basil leaves – 4
- Indian lilac leaves – 2
- Water – 4 tablespoons
- Take fresh leaves of basil and Indian lilac.
- Grind them by adding water in it to make it like thin paste.
- Take it out and consume this in the morning with an empty stomach followed by drinking a glass of water.
- Continue doing this process daily to get cured completely from high blood pressure.
Lemon reduces the high blood pressure by not only removing the rigidity but also maintain the blood vessels as pliable and soft. It is also rich in vitamin C that helps to lower the risk of getting heart failure (chances) especially if you regularly drink this lemon juice. Here C vitamin is an anti-oxidant that effectively neutralizes the harmful effects caused by free radicals on the blood and heart.
- Lemon – 1/2 piece
- Warm water – 1 glass
- Lemon squeezer
- Take half piece of lemon and squeeze it to extract its juice by using a lemon squeezer.
- Add this to warm water and stir it well.
- Drink this lemon water in the morning with an empty stomach to reduce the high BP and also helps to maintain proper blood pressure levels in the body.
- Following this process daily in the morning without adding any sugar or salt to it will definitely help to get rid of the high blood pressure.
5. Watermelon Seeds:
Curcurbocitrin is a compound present in watermelon seeds that help to widen the blood capillaries for the free flow of blood in the heart and other body parts. These seeds also help to improve the functioning of the kidneys and thus reduce high blood pressure and arthritis. In Florida state pilot study has also founded that this watermelon lowers the blood pressure with its vasodilatory effect.
Method – 1:
- Dried watermelon seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Take equal amounts (a teaspoon) of both dried watermelon seeds and poppy seeds (or khus khus).
- Grind them to get powdered form and then take a teaspoon of this mixture.
- Have this mixture twice a day, once in the morning with an empty stomach and the other in the evening.
- Regular follow up of this process will reduce the high blood pressure levels in the blood and keep you fit and healthy.
Method – 2:
- Crushed dried watermelon seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Boiled water – 1 cup
- Take dried watermelon seeds and crush them gently.
- Add this to boiled water and stir it well.
- Allow it to steep for about an hour or more without disturbing it.
- Strain it by using a strainer and take 4 tablespoons of this water periodically throughout the day.
- Regularly continue drinking this water (freshly made) till you get complete relief from the problem and then follow this process occasionally to maintain the perfect blood pressure levels.
6. Coconut Water:
People who are suffering with high blood pressure will have to keep their body well hydrated. Coconut water is one such remedy to hydrate your body and thus prevents dehydration and also lowers the blood pressure. According to West Indian Medical Journal study publication in 2005, it said that coconut water is rich in vitamin C, potassium and magnesium which help to reduce the systolic blood pressure. So drinking coconut water everyday will help to get rid of the high blood pressure. You can also use coconut oil in cooking other than drinking coconut water.
7. Onion Juice:
Onions are one of the most effective remedies that help to lower the blood pressure. It contains an antioxidant flavonol which is known as quercetin that reduces the high blood pressure and also maintains the healthy functioning of the heart. So here is the process on how to use this onion in your diet to get rid of the high blood pressure.
Method – 1:
- Raw onion – 1
- Take a medium sized raw onion and peel it off the skin.
- Eat this onion either directly or in any other forms like in cooked, etc.
- Or simply add this onion to your curries, soups, salads, dressings, etc.
- Or you can eat onion paste or its juice along with water.
- Repeat the same process regularly to clear the high blood pressure levels.
Method – 2:
- Onion juice – 1/2 teaspoon
- Honey – 1/2 teaspoon
- Take a small bowl and add equal quantities of onion juice and honey.
- Stir it well and drink this for to cure high BP.
- Daily consumption of this mixture for twice a day for about a week or two will clear the high blood pressure and balances them properly without getting any health problems.
Honey has soothing and calming effect on blood vessels and also reduces the pressure from the heart. It contains natural anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes and probiotics. This if used regularly will help to reduce the kidney stress which is considered as one of the cause for high blood pressure. So in this way, it helps a lot in reducing the high blood pressure levels.
Method – 1:
- Honey – 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Take raw, organic honey and eat this on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Regular intake of this honey in every morning on empty stomach can give relief from the high BP.
Method – 2:
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger Juice – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seed powder – 2 teaspoons
- Take a small bowl and add all these ingredients in it.
- Stir it well and eat this mixture to clear the high blood pressure levels.
- Continue eating this mixture for twice a day will help to lower the high BP levels.
Method – 3:
- Basil leaves
- Take equal amounts of honey and basil leaves juice.
- Stir it well and have this on an empty stomach (without eating anything in the morning).
- Taking this mixture daily for few weeks will prevent the high levels of blood pressure and keeps you healthy with its effective properties.
9. Fenugreek Seeds:
Fenugreek seeds are high in potassium and dietary fiber content which is essential to lower the high blood pressure and also controls yourweight. Fenugreek seeds are considered as a low – sodium diet that effectively balances your blood pressure and prevents the fluctuations in the blood pressure. So include them in your daily diet to get rid of the problem.
Method – 1:
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Take a pan and pour enough of water in it and boil this for few minutes.
- Then add fenugreek seeds in this boiling water.
- Let it to boil for about 3 – 5 minutes and strain the mixture.
- Allow the seeds to get cool for few minutes and then place these seeds in a blender.
- Blend it to make it into paste by adding that boiled water in it (if needed to make paste only).
- Finally consume this paste for twice a day i.e. once in the morning with an empty stomach (without eating anything) and then another in the evening to get relief from high blood pressure.
- Continue doing this remedy for at least 2 – 3 months to observe the significant improvement in the blood pressure levels and also for proper heart functioning.
Method – 2:
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Honey or stevia
- Take a cup and place the fenugreek seeds in it.
- Then pour hot water over it and allow it to steep for about several minutes.
- Now take a strainer to strain the tea and discard the seeds.
- Drink this tea by adding either honey or stevia (as per your preference).
- Regular intake of this tea will not only helps to control blood pressure but also controls your weight, diabetes, cholesterol and other problems.
- Or you can also eat this seeds as a snack or simply toss them in soups, pasta, salads or rice dishes.
10. Indian Gooseberry:
Indian gooseberry is another effective Ayurvedic remedy used to treat high blood pressure levels. Amla is enriched with vitamin C and has citrus property which helps to cure the blood pressure levels in the body. This gooseberry when mixed with honey helps to maintain proper blood pressure levels especially if it taken in the morning time. This not only decreases the BP levels but also cure many health problems naturally if taken regularly.
- Crushed Indian gooseberry or amla – 2 teaspoons
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Take finely crushed amla and place this on the sieve.
- Then take a spoon and press it on the sieve to extract the amla juice.
- Now add honey to it and stir it well.
- Drink this in the morning to relieve from high blood pressure.
- For more effective results, continue drinking this mixture in every morning for at least a month to get control over the blood pressure.
Best Foods Used for Treating High Blood Pressure:
Other than taking prescribed medicines for lowering the blood pressure, you can try something naturally like eating the correct diet that playsan important role in lowering the blood pressure. There are many super foods that lower the blood cholesterol, improve the sleep, reduce the headaches and thus prevent high blood pressure and make you healthy and fit.
11. Flax Seeds:
Flaxseeds or linseed or linum usitatissimum that has been originated in Egypt but is available at everywhere and used by almost all the people all over the world to keep them healthy. This flaxseed contains a compound called α – linolenic acid that belongs to the group of omega – 3 fatty acids which is beneficial for the heart diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis and many other health related problems. This seed also acts as anti-oxidants that help to protect you against the cardiovascular disease by decreasing the serum cholesterol, inflammatory markers, platelet aggregation and thereby improves the glucose tolerance.
So, intake of 15 – 50 gms of ground flaxseed daily will decrease the cholesterol and low density lipoproteins without changing the triglycerides levels or HDL cholesterol. LDL reduction means blood will open up the arteries and vessels in order to ensure the smooth flow of blood throughout the body. So, regular intake of this ground flaxseed by mixing this in your salad, curries, gravies, yogurt, etc.
12. Cayenne Pepper:
People those who are suffering from mild hypertension (high blood pressure) will be benefited by eating this cayenne pepper. This pepper is so spicy so you have to use a little bit of it in the diet and it helps to smooth the blood flow by restricting the platelets from clumping on one another and also accumulating in the blood. To use this cayenne pepper in your diet, you have to add this in either fruit or vegetable salad or else add a pinch of this pepper to a soup bowl.
13. Wholegrain Oats:
Green oats or avena sativa helps to control the high BP with its dietary soluble fibers. Many researchers have found that the people who eat oats regularly for at least 6 – 8 weeks substantially reduce the levels of bad cholesterol. So adding soluble fiber rich whole oats in the diet will not only reduce the high blood pressure risks but can prevent it totally.
Sprouts have an antioxidant known as glucoraphanin which helps not to lower the high blood pressure and also to reduce the inflammation that was caused in the heart, arteries and kidneys. The fresh sprouts also has rich amount of minerals, proteins, anticarcinogens, enzymes and vitamins. So be sure to include these sprouts in your diet which helps to lower the risk or chance of getting any stroke or heart attack.
Salmon is a cold – water fish that contains omega – 3 fatty acids and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) which helps to reduce the inflammation and finally prevents the high BP. This salmon is a low fat and high protein rich food which is treated as a good food for the people who have high blood pressure. Other than this salmon, you can also include other cold water fishes like tuna, mackerel, anchovies, halibut and herring. Or if you’re vegetarian or didn’t like the taste of these cold water fishes then you can simply go with fish oil supplements. Take this supplement by consulting your doctor for dosage recommendation.
Tomatoes have an anti-oxidant called lycopene which helps to protect the cells from damaging effect of the free radicals. This lycopene and other carotenoids that are found in tomatoes will help you in reducing the high blood pressure levels and thus risk of getting heart diseases. It contains certain nutrients like potassium, calcium and vitamins like A, C and E which are essential for overall health of the body. A study published in American Heart Journal in 2006 has said that the regular consumption of 250 mg of tomato extract for at least 8 – 9 weeks will definitely lowers both the blood pressures like systolic and diastolic pressures for the people who suffer from hypertension. So include them in your daily diet either by taking it in juice form or in curries or in any other forms to get rid of the high BP.
Eating nuts like almonds help to provide the essential proteins and healthy fats which are good for the health. This protein rich food helps to lower the high blood pressure and also fights against the diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. Healthy fats like monounsaturated fats in these almonds help to lower the cholesterol levels, reduce the arterial inflammation and finally reduce the blood pressure to control high BP. As per American Heart Association, potassium in almonds has the power of reducing the negative effect of sodium on the blood pressure like increase the level of BP, etc. and the healthy fats in it will promote the cardiovascular health and thus reduces the risk of heart diseases.
Potatoes contain high amount of potassium and kukoamines, a compound that effectively lowers the blood pressure and helps to maintain the blood pressure levels properly. This potato has an assortment of many vitamins and minerals such as vitamins B1, B3, B6 & C and minerals like iron, phosphorus, magnesium and zinc. Other this vitamins and minerals, it also has carotenoids and natural phenols which all are very good for overall health. So include these potatoes in your diet without frying them and also without adding butter, margarine or sour cream.
19. Pomegranate Juice:
Pomegranate or Lythraceae acts as your friend in lowering the high blood pressure without giving any feel like taking any medicine. In some researches also, it has been shown that pomegranate will reduce the activity of converting angiotensin to enzymes. This also reduces the systolic BP moderately after drinking 50 ml of pomegranate juice everyday for whole year.
20. Olive Oil:
Polyphenols is an antioxidant present in olive oil that can fight against the free radicals and its negative effects on the body. This polyphenols effectively reduces the blood pressure by protecting LDL or bad cholesterol from getting oxidized as too much of this oxidation of LDL that occurs in the blood vessels can become rigid and thus in turn increases the blood pressure. Olive oil also contains monounsaturated fatty acids such as oleic acid that helps to prevent the high blood pressure. But remember that this oil will lose most of its health benefits when it is heated. So, use olive oil without heating or cooking it just like you can drizzle this on your salads or stir it in a bowl of roasted potatoes to get maximum benefited from this olives.
Bread that taken in certain amounts helps to reduce the high BP. Homocysteine is a substance that swims around the blood and this at high levels thought to reduce the stretching ability of arteries. But if these arteries are stiff then the heart pumps the blood around with an extra effort on it. So to reduce the homocysteine you need B vitamin folate and this folate helps you in reducing the homocysteine levels and thus helps the arteries to become pliable. This bread are one of the richest source of this folate and other than bread, you can find folate in cereals, brussels sprouts, asparagus and beans.
Essential Vitamins and Minerals:
You have to include these vitamins and minerals in your diet in any supplement form to get rid of the high blood pressure.
Adding potassium in your diet will help to lower the risk the high blood pressure. So you can consume at least 4700 mgs of potassium daily in order to meet and maintain the healthy blood pressure. Almost every fruit, vegetable and dairy product contains certain amount of this potassium. But taking the food which has more of this nutrient is essential to maintain the proper blood pressure levels. Foods rich in potassium are banana, avocados, dates, orange juice, raisins, apricots (dried), Brussels sprouts, currants, kiwi fruit, figs, prunes, pears, peanuts, zucchini, spinach, cantaloupe, tomatoes, plain yogurt, winter squash, etc. Including these foods in your diet will help to lower the blood pressure but make sure that not to go for their processed or canned varieties as this will add more sodium in your diet rather than potassium in your diet and thus it raises the blood pressure levels rather than lowering or balancing it.
Calcium is an essential for the overall functioning of the body. It is needed by heart to have proper rhythm and for your kidneys to regulate the body’s sodium or water balance. Also it is proved in some research that the people who suffers from high blood pressure are due to not getting enough of dietary calcium. In some other studies it is found that taking extra calcium will lower the blood pressure. So include the calcium rich foods like skim milk, low fat dairy products such as yogurt, brown rice, leafy green vegetables, etc. in your diet to get rid of the high blood pressure.
Magnesium is another effective mineral that widely used to reduce the high blood pressure levels. Many studies who conducted research on this magnesium have found that it lowers the blood pressure in small but significant levels. It has been proved that this supplementation reduced the blood pressure by 2 – 3 mmHg for diastolic and 3 – 4 mmHg for systolic blood pressure. So this mineral is very much needed by the people who are suffering from high blood pressure and include them in your diet. Foods like papaya, beetroot, dark leafy greens, soybeans, avocado, bananas, nuts and seeds. If anyone are suffering from magnesium and intravenous magnesium sulfate deficiency then they commonly administered for both pre-eclampsia and eclampsia in pregnancy. But still some research is needed on it.
25. Vitamin D:
Vitamin D plays an important role in controlling the blood pressure levels. Do you know that blood pressure is high in winter season rather than summer? Why because this sun light (vitamin D) will affect the blood pressure in many ways like exposing to sun generally makes your body to produce the vitamin D and if you didn’t get the sufficient amount of sun light that causes deficiency of vitamin D which in turn helps to increase the production of parathyroid hormone that effectively increases the blood pressure. This vitamin deficiency has negative inhibitor of the body’s renin – angiotensin system (RAS) that regulates the blood pressure in the body and this also causes the inappropriate activation of the RAS that may again lead to hypertension or high blood pressure.
The basic reason is that exposure to sunlight (UV rays) helps to release endorphins which are the chemicals present in brain and these chemicals produce the feelings of euphoria and pain relief. Endorphins are considered as natural stress relievers and this in turn helps to resolve hypertension as stress is one important factor causing raise in blood pressure. Remember that getting enough of vitamin D will help the system and organs of the body to function properly. You can get this vitamin D from the foods like eggs, fortified milk, fish, cod liver oil, etc. are natural sources of vitamin D other than sunlight. Make sure to get this vitamin naturally but not from any other supplement forms like pills.
26. Reduce Sodium:
If you’re already suffering from high BP then it is more advisable to lower your sodium intake in your daily diet. As per AHA, the limited sodium intake for everyone is less than 1500 mg (1/2 teaspoon) per day. This means not only reducing the table salt in your diet but you have to reduce the intake of processed and many restaurant dishes which are fully loaded with sodium. As more consumption of sodium causes the body to retain the fluid and thus results in sharp increase in blood pressure and other health and heart problems. Avoid consuming pickles which has high amount of salt in it. The whole dill pickle contains 300 milligrams of sodium and thus intake of this will definitely increases the blood pressure.
27. Vitamin C and E:
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps to prevent the free radicals in the body which will damage the artery walls and increases the blood pressure. So it is very essential to include vitamin C rich foods like lemon, oranges, red bell peppers, kale, broccoli, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi, mango, etc. in your diet to get rid of the high blood pressure. Like vitamin C, vitamin E is also very essential to cure high blood pressure. So include this vitamin E rich foods like almonds, avocados, tofu, spinach, sunflower seeds, fish, plant oils (olives), squash, pumpkin, etc. in your diet to get control over the high blood pressure.
Changing your lifestyle is another important and most effective way to control your blood pressure levels. So here are few explained in detail and follow them carefully and regularly.
28. Regular Exercise:
Having some regular physical activity for at least 30 – 60 minutes every day will help to lower the blood pressure by 4 – 9 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) and you can notice the results within short span of time. So increase your exercise level like going for a brisk walk, jogging, running, swimming and other aerobic exercises will help to lower the blood pressure within few weeks.
If you suffer from pre-hypertension then the systolic pressure will be between 120 – 139 or diastolic pressure between 80 – 89. Exercise can definitely helps to avoid developing high blood pressure or hypertension. If you already suffering from hypertension then doing some regular physical activities will help you to bring down the blood pressure down to the safe level and helps to maintain proper health.
Consult your doctor to get advice about your exercise and diet plan. Coming to exercise, your healthcare provider helps you to determine which one suits for you or placing some restrictions as per your age, weight and so on. Remember that doing a moderate activity for about 10 minutes at a time like walking or light strength training will help to get relief from the high blood pressure.
But make sure that not to be a weekend warrior, as this is not a good strategy of doing all the exercise of whole week in the weekend. These sudden bursts of all activity will be very risky and leaves you very much tired and loses a lot of energy and also causes some risk to your heart and other body parts. So it is widely advised to do some physical exercise daily rather than doing all once in a week.
29. Quit Smoking:
Many studies has proved that smoking cigarette will raise the blood pressure temporarily for up to 10 mmHg or more for about an hour after you smoke it. This means if you’re heavy smoker then the BP can stay elevated for more period of time. People those who smoke even though there have high blood pressure are at greater risk of developing the dangerous high blood pressure and thereby heart and other health problems. Remember that the second hand smoke can also leaves you at an increased risk of getting high BP and other heart diseases.
30. Relax with Music:
Listening to music like soothing classical, Indian or Celtic music for about 30 minutes every day with slow breathing will definitely reduces the blood pressure levels. It has been proved in a research done in Italy that the listeners has lowered their average systolic by about 3.2 points and after a month, it was lowered by 4.4 points. So make it a habit of listening to your favorite type of music and lessen your blood pressure levels to reach normal stage.
31. Get Less Stress from Work:
Spending more hours in work at office will definitely raise the risk of getting hypertension by about 15%. However it has become difficult to clock out the super early in today’s tough economic times, but you can try to leave the office (work) at decent hour. This gives some time to do your desired things like reading an interesting book, cooking a healthy and favourite meal, going to gym or a walk, etc. So it is more recommended for the people who has highest risk of hypertension that to set a message on the computer as reminder that the time is over at office and you have to turn it off the system and go to home to get complete relief from the stress and there by hypertension.
32. Stop Snoring:
Try to stop snoring as the loud, incessant snores are considered as one among the main symptom of getting obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Research done in University of Alabama has found that the people who suffers from the sleep apnea will also has high levels of aldosterone which is a hormone that effectively boost the blood pressure levels. So half of these people has high blood pressure along with many potentially life threatening problems in your breathing while you’re sleeping. So consult your doctor to know that if OSA could be the reason for high blood pressure and treat your sleep apnea to lower your aldosterone levels and thereby high blood pressure.
35 Quick Tips to Reduce High Blood Pressure:
As per American Heart Association (AHA), normal blood pressure should be equal to 120/80 mmHg. If it reads more than 140/90 mmHg then it is treated as hypertension. Before adopting any of the above mentioned home remedies you have to adopt these few changes in diet and lifestyle related habits (other than above mentioned ones).
- Eating banana regularly for once or twice a day will help to provide potassium and lessens the sodium effect. You can also get the same benefit from watermelon. This finally regulates the proper high blood pressure by controlling it levels.
- Drink at least 8 – 10 glasses of water every day to keep yourself hydrated and also to balance the blood pressure levels.
- Try to stop or limit the intake of sugar and saturated fats, Trans fats, cholesterol foods like processed foods, dairy products, fried foods, fatty meats and whole milk in your diet as this can increase the inflammation and further hardens your arteries that contribute to hypertension.
- Always follow DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) that includes fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, fishes, nuts and low fat dairy which can effectively lower your blood pressure by 14 mmHg.
- Limit or avoid your intake of alcohol. We all know that drinking a glass of red wine with dinner is good for health but it should be in moderation and if this taking in excess then it leads to many health problems including this blood pressure. The limited dose will be one per day for women and 2 per day for men as per AHA.
- Stress is another factor that temporary raises the blood pressure and if you suffer with a lot of stress means too much of raise in the blood pressure for longer time. So its better to identify the main root cause for the stress and try to solve it as soon as possible to get rid of high BP and other health related problems.
- Remember that the weight and blood pressure go hand to hand. So if you’re overweight then it would be suggested that to lose weight especially the fat around the waist because this fat called visceral fat tends to surround the organs in the abdomen and this finally leads to many health issues that includes high blood pressure. Men’s waist size should be less than 40 inches and for women, it should be less than 35 inches.
- Have regular visits to your doctor or healthcare provider will help to monitor and control the high blood pressure levels. If you’ve high blood pressure then your doctor will help you to lower it by giving either medications or suggesting lifestyle changes or any combinational therapies.
- Its better to maintain a food diary by writing all the things of what you eat for a week so that it helps to shed on your true eating habits and also to monitor on what you’re eat, how much eating, when eating and why eating that food will help to lower the high blood pressure.
- Avoid or reduce the intake of caffeinated and carbonated beverages in your diet as this increases the sodium content in the body and thereby increases the problem again.
- Fresh tomatoes are good for reducing the high blood pressure but canned tomato sauces, pasta sauces and tomato juices are not why because they contain high amount of sodium in it. So avoid taking canned one even though canned soups or packaged broths and stocks if you want to get control over high blood pressure.
- Pizza (of any type) is not recommended for the people who are in sodium restrict diet. It contains cheese, tomato sauce, cured meats and bread will add up the milligrams very quickly. Frozen pizza is particular one that is very dangerous for the hypertensive people. So avoid or reduce the frozen pizza as the manufacturers often add a lot of salt in it and this definitely increases the high blood pressure.
- Processed deli and lunch meats are another real sodium enriched bombs. Bacon comes into this category so it is best to avoid eating these foods in your diet.
- Get some support from your family and friends to improve your health of getting rid of the high blood pressure.
- Basil is an herb that helps a lot in lowering the blood pressure. So add fresh basil leaves in your diet like in your pastas, soups, salads and casseroles to get benefited with its properties.
- Cinnamon helps you to bring down the blood pressure to normal level especially for diabetic people. So include this cinnamon in the diet by sprinkling it on the oatmeal, breakfast cereal or in your coffee or tea, stir fries, stews, curries, etc. in your diet to cut down the high blood pressure.
- Cardamom is a seasoning that helps to shown the significant reduction in the blood pressure. A study has found that taking powdered cardamom daily for few months reduced their blood pressure levels. So include this cardamom seeds or the powder in your diet like in spice rubs, stews, baked goods, soups and what not in almost everything you can use this cardamom to get rid of the problem.
- Always check whether you’re sleeping sufficiently for at least 8 hours or not. If not it is very much essential for you to take proper rest so that you can calm down all your worries, anger, tensions, etc. and thereby get complete relief from the high blood pressure.
- Hawthorn is a traditional Chinese medicine which has been used for treating high blood pressure from thousands of years. Taking decoctions of this herb can provide you a lot of benefits like reduction in the blood pressure, increase in blood circulation and also prevents the clot formation. So include this in your diet in the form of pill, tea or a liquid extract.
- Regularly drink green tea which has catechins and EGCG that helps to reduce the blood pressure especially diastolic by (2.68 mmHg) when compared to placebo.
- Cat’s claw is another herbal medicine that reduces the high blood pressure and you can get its supplement form from any health food stores or herbal pharmacies.
- Reduce your stress levels by doing yoga, meditations like deep breathe exercises, etc. This not only helps you to get relief from stress but also improves your overall health.
- Regularize your intake of polyunsaturated oils like mustard seed oil, safflower oil and canola oil can help you to lower both blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels.
- Grapefruit is another effective vitamin C rich fruit used to prevent the high blood pressure with its property of toning the blood vessels.
- Dark chocolates have flavanoids that help the blood vessels to become more elastic and thus prevents the high blood pressure. So consume about half ounce of dark chocolate everyday but make sure that the chocolate contains at least 70% of cocoa in it).
- Research also found that taking coenzyme Q10 will reduce the blood pressure by up to 17 mmHg. It has antioxidants that help for energy production and widens the blood vessels for proper flow of blood into the heart and other body parts. So consult your doctor first and then take 60 – 100 mg of this supplement for thrice a day.
- Vegetable juice particularly carrot juice and spinach juice helps to monitor your high blood pressure levels and thus helps you to maintain the proper BP level in the body.
- Cod liver oil or its capsules will also help to control the blood pressure levels as this oil is generally derived from the liver of cod fish that has rich amount of omega – 3 fatty acid that effectively control the blood pressure levels.
- Laughter therapy helps you to relax the muscles and thus lowers the hormones which are stressed to reduce your high blood pressure, prevents the heart diseases and also improves your mood.
- Regular intake of beetroot or its juice can reduce the high blood pressure with its rich amount of potassium, iron, magnesium, zinc, calcium, phosphorus and sodium.
- Include papaya in your diet which is enriched with zinc, sodium, phosphorus, magnesium and has multi – vitamin. So eat this in the morning and get maximum benefits of preventing the high blood pressure. But remember that not to consume anything for 2 hours after eating this papaya.
- Consuming fermented foods like sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir, natto, etc. may help you to lower the risk of getting heart and other health problems.
- Intake of caffeine will result in temporary but definitely marked increase in blood pressure. So avoid taking caffeine and other carbonated beverages like soda in your daily schedule. Try to replace them with herbal teas like dandelion tea, hibiscus tea, fennel tea, green tea etc.
- Regular intake of fish or fish oil supplement in your diet will cut down high blood pressure. Also make sure that you’re getting the proper amount of omega – 3 and 6 fatty acids in your diet.
- Consult your doctor as early as possible after you came to know that you have high blood pressure for immediate medication and treatment but don’t delay in it as it may cause any other health problem. Also regular checkups of the body for blood pressure are the correct option to control them.
All these remedies and tips that are mentioned above are natural, easy available and easy to adopt. Remember that all these gives very effective and long lasting results but may take a little more time than prescribed over the counter medications. So be patience and get the amazing results of controlling your blood pressure.
This is all about Natural Home Remedies for High Blood Pressure. Hope you try these to lower your blood pressure and also to maintain the perfect blood pressure levels without suffering from it again. Do you think that anything I missed mentioning in this article? Then share your experience with us so that I came to know new ones and also the remedy that worked well for you.