Head lice are tiny and wingless parasites that live on human scalp feeding on human blood. They are very common, contagious, frustrating and very tough to get rid of. But don’t worry as they are not dangerous and don’t spread or carry diseases.
Millions of people, especially children are affected by head lice infestation every year. Head to head contact, using things of an infected person are the main reasons of head lice spreading from one person to another.
Scratching is the most frustrating part of having head lice. Scratching a lot leads to open sores in the scalp which can lead to scalp infections. If you have open sores in the scalp then it is better to consult a dermatologist instead of trying out remedies at home.
If you don’t have open sores then you have a wide array of remedies you can try at home. Commercial or over the counter stuff doesn’t work on head lice as they have become resistant to them.
So natural remedies are the most trusted and effective solution without any side effects. There are many remedies like tea tree oil, vinegar, and mayonnaise. In this article, we will learn about mayonnaise for head lice.
Does Mayonnaise Work for Head Lice?
Mayonnaise suffocates head lice making it difficult for them to breathe oxygen. This leaves them in a dormant state. It becomes ready to remove them by combing.
How to Use Mayonnaise for Head Lice?
There are different ways of using mayonnaise. For your information, we have placed them below with a detailed description. Try them and get rid of head lice.
- Saturate your hair right from the scalp to the ends with mayonnaise.
- Tie the hair and cover the head with a shower cap.
- Leave it overnight and wash your hair normally in the morning.
- While it is still wet, comb the hair thoroughly to remove the head lice.
- Repeat the process 2 times a week.
2) Mayonnaise with Coconut Oil
- Combine mayonnaise and few drops of coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture to the hair right from the scalp to the ends.
- Cover with a shower cap or swimming cap and leave it overnight.
- In the morning, using a blow dryer dry your hair.
- Apply shampoo and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Comb through the hair to remove the head lice.
- Wash the hair normally.
- Repeat the process 3 times a week.
3) Mayonnaise with Vinegar and Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is also considered one of the effective treatments for head lice because of its pesticide property. The acetic acid present in vinegar kills the head lice and dissolves the gum of the nits that helps it to attach the hair shaft.
- In a bowl, mix mayonnaise, 10 drops each of neem oil and tea tree oil.
- Add a dash of vinegar and mix well.
- Apply it onto the hair from the scalp to the ends.
- Leave it on for at least 2 hours.
- Wash the hair thoroughly with shampoo.
- While the hair is still wet, comb the hair to remove the dead lice.
- Repeat the process 2 times a week.
Recommendations & Warnings While Using Mayonnaise:
- How to long should we leave mayonnaise in the hair depends on your convenience. Some people may like to leave it for 2 – 3 hour and some keep it overnight. The longer you keep it the better result you will get. Doctors recommend it to leave the application for at least 8 hours to get effective results. But for kids of age less than 5 years, it is recommended to leave the mayonnaise application for more than 5 hours.
- Don’t use plastic wrap or a plastic bag to cover the head. As they are very toxic and dangerous elements they should not be kept on children’s head.
- Make sure to use only tight-fitting shower cap or a swimming cap.
- While tying the head with shower cap make sure all the hair strands are included without leaving any strand out. As the child can suck or chew it. Mayonnaise turns rancid after few hours and toxic to consume.
Tips and Precautions for Head Lice
- Avoid head to head contact with the person having head lice. Educate your children on the same.
- Clean your hair accessories and combs frequently.
- If one person is having head lice, every person in the family should follow the treatment once in a while to prevent the infestation.
- Treat all the furniture and bed sheets regularly to remove any head lice surviving on them.
Wash this article helpful? Do you have any suggestions and queries about this article? Share with us in the comments section below.