Dehydration, a diet rich in calcium oxalate, phosphate, and malate, too acidic urine, infection in kidneys, hyper parathyroid condition and inflammatory bowel diseases are some of the reasons for the development of kidney stones.
Following are some of the symptoms of kidney stones
- Pain in lower back
- Blood in urine
- Frequent or painful urination
- Vomiting or nausea
- Fever and chills
- Urinating small amounts of urine
Mostly, kidney stones don’t cause any of the above symptoms and pass freely through the urinary tract.
But if the kidney stones are big in size, blocks the flow of urine, lead to kidney infection or stuck in the urinary tract then they can be a very big problem.
If your kidney stone in big in size, then it is better to consult a doctor to get it removed. But if it is small which can easily be removed then you can get it out using simple home remedies.
Lemon, apple cider vinegar, and parsley are known to treat and prevent kidney stones. Let’s learn about parsley in detail.
Is Parsley Good for Kidney Stones?
- Parsley contains vitamin B6, C, magnesium, and potassium which play an important role in dissolving the kidney stones.
- It acts as a natural diuretic which eliminates excess minerals and sand before they form into a stone.
- It detoxifies the kidneys by flushing out the toxins.
How to Use Parsley for Kidney Stones?
1. Parsley Tea
This tea not only helps in treating the kidney stones but also helps in reduce bad cholesterol, reduce high blood pressure and colon cancer.
- To a cup of boiling water, add 2 tablespoons of parsley leaves (fresh or dried).
- Simmer for 5 – 10 minutes and remove from the flame.
- Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Add few drops of lemon juice and a tablespoon of honey.
- Stir well and drink it.
- Repeat the process 2 times a day.
Note: Don’t consume parsley tea before going to bed, as it increases the urination which can disturb your sleep.
2. Parsley Infusion
This process helps to dissolve and prevent further formation of kidney stones. It also helps in fighting the infection present in kidneys.
- Take a handful of parsley leaves.
- Boil them in four cups of water.
- After 10 minutes, remove from the flame.
- Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Consume a cup of this infusion daily.
3. Kidney Stone Treatment with Parsley
The vitamin C present in lemons and parsley dissolve the calcium oxalate stones. Honey and olive oil soothe the irritated linings of ureters and maple syrup makes the remedies more palatable.
- Scrape the lemon and cut it into chunks with the peel on.
- Put the 9 ounces of lemon chunks into blender and process it.
- Scrape the parsley root and cut it into chunks.
- Add 9 ounces of parsley root into blender and process it again.
- Add 1 cup of maple syrup, 9 ounces each of olive oil and raw honey.
- Blend everything well and pour the mixture into an airtight container.
- Store it in the refrigerator.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of the mixture every day on an empty stomach.
Note: Don’t forget to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
4. Parsley with Cucumber and Watermelon
Cucumber flushes out the uric acid from the body and helps in dissolving the kidney stones. Watermelon flushes the toxins from the kidneys.
- Into a blender, add 1/2 ounce of parsley leaves, juice of 2 small lemons, 1 large cucumber (peeled and sliced) and watermelon pieces (as much as your wish).
- Blend all the ingredients well.
- Drink this juice immediately on an empty stomach.
- Repeat the process once in 2 days.
5. Parsley with Celery
The roots and leaves of celery are known for natural diuretic properties which help in cleansing the kidneys.
- Into a blender, add 2 celery ribs, 1/2 cup fresh parsley, 1 cucumber and 1 carrot.
- Blend them together to prepare a nice juice.
- Drink this juice once in a day.
- Repeat the process 2 – 3 weeks to get best results.
Tips and Precautions:
- Pregnant women should avoid drinking parsley juice as it can cause hormonal imbalance.
- Parsley is also used to start menstrual flow to cause an abortion, so women planning for kids should avoid drinking it.
- Avoid consuming parsley juice in large amounts can it can anemia and liver problems.
- Parsley can lower blood sugar levels so monitor your blood sugar levels regularly if you are diabetic.
- Limit the consumption of dairy products.
- Reduce consumption of processed foods intake.
- Try vegetable sources than animal protein.
- Reduce salt content.
- Avoid alcohol consumption.
- Avoid consuming foods that are rich in oxalic acid which include spinach, tomatoes, eggplants, collards, sweet potatoes, peanuts, and almonds.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to flush out toxins and kidney stones.
- Include foods rich in magnesium, vitamin E, and B6.
Have your tried parsley for dissolving kidney stones earlier? Do you have any other remedy that works better than the mentioned above? Please feel free to share your experience, suggestions, and queries in the comments section below.