People suffering from psoriasis often feel embarrassed and self-conscious about their skin condition. Psoriasis is an autoimmune and chronic skin condition which affects skin, nails and sometimes joints as well. This skin condition is caused when our body buildups new skin cells at a rapid rate and the shedding of the cells is normal. These skin cells pile and push up the skin leading to silver, dry and itchy patches.
Diabetes, uncontrolled stress, obesity, certain medicines, smoking, and infection can worsen the symptoms of psoriasis. Though psoriasis cannot be cured completely, its symptoms can be controlled to a maximum effect with simple ingredients like Tea Tree Oil, Aloevera and Coconut Oil. Tea tree oil is derived from the leaves of Melaleuca tree.
Is Tea Tree Oil Good for psoriasis?
- It exfoliates the dry and flaky skin cells on the skin surface.
- Tea tree oil contains anti-microbial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which provide relief from redness, itching, and burning.
- It reduces itching by softening the plaques.
- It helps to control the excess production of skin cells.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties reduce the swelling and redness.
- It penetrates deep into the skin layers and reduces the appearance of psoriasis scars.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Psoriasis?
Listed are various home remedies using tea tree oil for controlling psoriasis flare-ups. Choose one method among the following and try it regularly to achieve the results.
1. Tea Tree Oil
Direct application of tea tree oil can cause irritation and burning sensation. So, it should be dilute with water or any other carrier oils. The following process is effective for treating psoriasis on scalp, nail, and skin.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with water.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the solution to affected areas of the skin.
- Leave it overnight and wash it off in the next morning.
- Pat the skin dry and apply moisturizer. Natural moisturizers like olive oil, coconut oil can be of a great help.
- Repeat the application daily.
Note: You can add few drops of tea tree oil into your daily moisturizer and apply it on the affected areas after taking bath.
2. Tea Tree Oil with Olive Oil
The high levels of olecanthol provide anti-inflammatory properties to olive oil which help to reduce the swelling and loosen up the dry flakes. This process is effective in treating psoriasis on face, neck, legs, nails and scalp.
- Mix equal quantities of tea tree oil and olive oil (any carrier oil).
- Slightly warm up this mixture and apply on the affected areas of the skin.
- Massage gently and allow it to sit for 1 hour, maximum overnight.
- Wash it off with water and pat dry.
- For scalp psoriasis wash it off with mild shampoo and water.
- Follow this process regularly to get rid of itchiness and dryness.
Note: If the application is causing itching and burning sensation, then add more amounts of olive oil.
3. Tea Tree Oil with Sweet Almond Oil
- Combine few drops each of tea tree oil and sweet almond oil (or any other carrier oil).
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas.
- Leave it on for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Pat dry and apply any moisturizer that contains tea tree oil.
- Repeat the process regularly.
4. Tea Tree Oil Bath
This bath helps to treat the psoriasis on the areas where you find difficult to reach. You can follow this process along with other topical applications for more effective results. This process helps to reduce the swelling, itching, and redness.
- Into your bathtub containing lukewarm water, add few drops of tea tree oil.
- You can add few drops of any carrier oil like olive oil, almond oil or jojoba oil to it. (Optional)
- Soak in it for 20 minutes and pat dry.
- Repeat the process at least once in a day.
5. Tea Tree Oil and Other Essential Oils Blend
In this process, we combine various essential oils that are effective in reducing the symptoms of psoriasis. You can use this blend as a daily moisturizer.
- Combine 4 – 6ml of tea tree oil, 100ml of aloe vera gel, 4ml patchouli, 3 drops of german chamomile and 10ml each of jojoba oil, avocado oil, lavender oil, vitamin E oil and bergamot oil.
- Pour the mixture into an airtight container and close the lid.
- Leave it overnight to settle.
- After taking shower, apply enough amounts of the blend on psoriasis affected areas.
- Gently massage and leave it to dry completely.
- Repeat the application daily after taking the bath.
Note: Patch test the blend before applying to the psoriasis affected areas.
6. Tea Tree Oil with Avocado Oil and Lavender Oil
Lavender oil reduces the itching, swelling and eases the secondary infections. The aroma of lavender oil also reduces your stress level which is often one of the triggers for psoriasis flare ups. Avocado oil smoothens the dry skin patches.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil, 6 teaspoons of avocado oil and 1 – 2 drops of lavender oil.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the mixture on the affected areas.
- Leave it on for few minutes before washing off.
- Follow this process regularly to get rid of psoriasis.
Note: you can also use almond oil, coconut oil or any other carrier oil instead of avocado oil.
Tea Tree Oil for Scalp Psoriasis
Out of all the people suffering from psoriasis, at least half of them also suffer from scalp psoriasis. It can be mild to severe covering the entire scalp. It can also extend gradually beyond the hair line, on the neck and behind the ears.
7. Tea Tree Oil with Shampoo
This process works well for treating scalp psoriasis. For this process, make sure to use a mild shampoo with fewer chemicals.
- Add 1 part of tea tree oil to 10 parts of your shampoo.
- Stir well and use it to rinse your hair followed by lukewarm water.
- Dry your hair and repeat the same process regularly.
Note: Alternatively, you can use a shampoo that already contains tea tree oil.
8. Tea Tree Oil and Coconut Oil
The anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil reduce the swelling. Vitamin E and K regain the moisture in the skin cells. It exfoliates the flakes and smoothens the skin. This process is effective in treating psoriasis on the scalp and other affected areas of the body.
- Combine 2 – 3 tablespoons of coconut oil and 5 – 10 drops of tea tree oil.
- Mix well and apply it on the affected areas.
- Leave the application overnight.
- Rinse off with mild shampoo and water.
- Repeat the process daily.
9. Tea Tree Oil and Rosemary Oil
The combination of tea tree oil and rosemary oil is effective in reducing the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Combine few drops each of tea tree oil, lavender oil, and rosemary oil.
- Apply the mixture to the scalp and leave it on for few hours.
- Rinse it off with mild shampoo followed by water.
- Follow this process regularly.
10. Tea Tree Oil For Psoriasis Scalp
The left over marks of psoriasis can be very distressing and annoying. Tea tree can helpful in reduce the psoriasis scars. Though you may not see the result instantly, with continuous application you can achieve the results.
- Combine 15 drops of tea tree oil and 30 ml of coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture on the scars and leave it overnight.
- Rinse it off in the morning.
Note: If the scars too stubborn then increase the amount of tea tree oil. If the application is causing burning sensation, then increase the quantity of coconut oil.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid direct application of tea tree oil as it can cause skin irritation, burning sensation, and redness.
- Make sure to use 2 – 5% concentration of tea tree oil for the home remedies.
- Perform a patch test before trying out the process on affected areas. If you observe any negative reactions, avoid using it further.
- Avoid consuming tea tree oil as it can lead to some serious side effects.
- If the symptoms of psoriasis flare up after using tea tree oil then avoid using it further.
- Avoid using hair care and skin products that contain harmful chemicals like sodium laureth sulfate and paraben.
- If the symptoms are worsening, then consult a dermatologist immediately.
- Avoid gluten, oily, junk and acidic foods.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and healthy.
We hope the information provided in this article was helpful for you. Let us know if you have any other remedies that work better than the above mentioned. Share your experience in the comments section below.