Acid reflux is an uncomfortable problem that can cause an internal burning sensation around the lower region of the chest. This is due to stomach acids flowing back up the food pipe when a valve called the lower esophageal sphincter, (LES) located at the entrance of the stomach, fails to contract or when the valve often opens up.
Our stomach releases certain acids for the digestion of food. The inner layer of the stomach is covered with a special lining to prevent the stomach from the effect of acids but our esophagus is not protected from this. Hence during acid reflux, the throat gets a burning sensation.
Some common symptoms include chest pain or heart burn, bloating, gas a bitter taste, burping and difficulty in lying or bending.
Does Aloe Vera work for Acid Reflux?
Aloe Vera is a proven natural agent known to relieve heart burn and prevent acid reflux. It is one of the best home remedies for acid reflux.
- The healing property of aloe vera soothes the entire esophagus track and provides relief from irritation.
- Studies prove that Aloe gel contain glycoproteins and polysaccharides. Glycoproteins are helpful to impede pain and inflammation enhancing the healing process, polysaccharides aids proper digestion of food and are known to repair skin cells and stimulate skin growth.
- It has the capability of improving the blood circulation through blood vessels which helps for proper digestion and functioning of digestive tract and relieves heartburn or acid reflux.
The properties of aloe vera helps to rebalance the entire digestive system. They have been proven to soothe the mucus membrane, minimize the gut’s bad bacteria, revitalize LES and also heal the entire gastrointestinal tract. It contains:
- Essential vitamins
- Glucomannan, a kind of sugar
- Essential minerals for proper functioning of digestive enzymes
- Around 22 amino acids, some of which the human body is incapable of producing
How to take Aloe Vera for Acid Reflux:
1. Aloe juice
- Aloe juice is available in food and medicinal stores. Use aloe juice specifically prepared for internal use because it is free from aloe parts so is safer for the digestive system.
- Remember to start with small dose initially to prevent stomach cramps and diarrhea. Gradually increase the dose to 2-3 ounce.
- Drink 20 minutes prior to meals reduces acid reflux.
- It can also be diluted with little water or any non-acidic fruit juice to taste better.
- When you have acid reflux consume around 2 to 3 oz. of aloe vera.
2. Refreshing Aloe Vera Drink
- Blend 3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, juice from a lemon and 2 limes, 8 ounces of coconut water, ice and stevia.
- Drink this refreshing drink regularly.
3. Aloe Cocktail
- Mix any non-acidic fruit juice with aloe vera juice to make cocktail of your choice. Serve with crushed ice
- To make a guava aloe vera cocktail, mix 2 cups of organic guava juice, the fresh juice of half lemon and 2 tsp of aloe vera gel. Blend all the ingredients till smooth.
- Cherry aloe cocktail can be made by blending 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 1 glass of cherry juice and a juice from a lemon or 2 limes.
4. Aloe Vera with Lemon Essential Oil
- Mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice, 2drops of lemon essential oil in a glass of water.
- Drink regularly.
5. Aloe Vera Gel or Powder
- Combine 1/4 cup of water and teaspoon of aloe vera gel or powder and drink.
- Start with a small dosage at first.
- Store the remaining gel or powder in refrigerator.
- You can also add aloe vera into your favourite milkshakes, fruit juices or smoothies.
6. Aloe Vera with Pears, Ginger and Yogurt
- Peel and dice 2 pears. Add to a blender with 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel or juice, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 cup of yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon of ginger and a cup of ice.
- Blend it properly till it becomes smooth.
- Drink this aloe vera smoothie regularly.
7. Aloe Vera with Pomegranate and Lemon Juice
Lemon juice reduces the acid reflux attacks as it helps to stimulate the digestive secretions. Pomegranate acts as astringent to relieve from inflammation throughout the GI tract and also stimulates the digestion process effectively.
- Blend 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel, 1 cup of pomegranate, juice from 1 whole lemon and 2 teaspoons of raw sugar.
- Drink this to get relief from acid reflux.
8. Aloe Vera with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar aids in better digestion as it breaks down the fats and balances the pH level. Aloe vera soothes the GI tract and cures acid reflux.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of aloe juice or gel and 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar and 1/2 a teaspoon of manuka honey.
- Stir it well and consume this drink with a straw to prevent damage to the teeth.
Tips and Precautions:
Follow these tips and precautions for safe and effective use.
- Diarrhea is a common symptom of aloe vera ingestion, so start with a small dose.
- Infants, pregnant women and lactating mothers are recommended to avoid this.
- People with diabetes should take aloe vera internally under doctor’s consultation.
- If you have hemorrhoids, ulcerative colitis, thyroid, or Crohn’s disease, avoid this.
- Aloe vera prevents the blood from clotting. Hence people planning to undergo any surgeries should discontinue taking aloe two weeks prior to the scheduled surgery.
- People under medication are required to take aloe vera with doctor’s consultation.
- People taking digoxin should avoid intake of aloe vera.
- Consult your doctor to get an accurate diagnosis of acid reflux to know whether it is caused due by stomach acid indigestion or by any underlying health problem.
- Avoid or reduce certain food items like caffeine, tomatoes, citrus fruits, alcohol, carbonated beverages, fatty dairy products, spicy or fatty or fried foods, etc. while including this aloe vera in your diet.
- Avoid prolonged usage of aloe vera as it might lead to an increased risk of getting colorectal cancer.
- Also avoid taking aloe vera, if you have allergies to the lily family.
- If you don’t like the taste of aloe vera juice in plain or raw form, then go for different combinations like mixing the juice in water or tea.
- Take aloe Vera Latex Capsules with a glass of water 3 times a day. But make sure to consult your doctor before using latex capsules.
- Always prefer the purified and decolorized aloe vera products.
Please feel free to share any experiences you have with us. We would love to hear from you.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.