The worst part of acne is the scars it leaves behind. When acne is developed, our skin may desperately try to heal the problem, which results in a scar. However, sometimes when you scratch or prick breakouts, the skin tissue gets damaged leading to a scar. There are two types of acne scars – Atrophic scar (indentations in the skin) and Hypertrophic scars (thick, dark bumps on the skin).
Long term usage of commercial products contains harmful chemicals that can decrease the skin’s immunity power. However, natural home remedies like castor oil, honey and coconut oil can lighten the scars and improve skin’s immunity. Read on to see how you can use aloe vera for acne scars…
Why Does Aloe Vera Help Acne Scars?
- Compounds such as polysaccharides and gibberellins found in it contain anti-bacterial property that helps combat acne bacteria, heal wounds and enhance cell growth.It has soothing and healing property that soothes painful acnes, accelerates the healing process and lightens scar.
- It acts as a natural astringent to remove excess oil, dead cells and reveal a clear, healthy skin.
- Its anti-inflammatory property reduces swelling, redness and soothes pain from infectious acne.
- Antioxidants it has fight free acne radicals and repairs damaged skin. While Vitamin E, C and zinc works on skin to light scars.
How Do You Use Aloe Vera for Acne Scars?
Below, we have listed various methods of lightening the acne scars. You can try any one of them regularly until you until you achieve the results.
1. Aloe Vera Juice
Using aloe vera gel for acne scars helps to fight bacteria, clears blemishes and soothes painful pimples.
- Cut the leaf and scoop out the gel from inside.
- Apply the gel on the affected areas and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Apply one more coat and massage the area paying more attention to the scars.
- Wash off the gel with clean water.
- Repeat the application twice in a day.
Note: The gel can be applied on face, left overnight and washed off the next morning. You can also use packaged pure aloe vera gel from the market.
2. Aloe Vera and Chickpea Flour Pack
The combination of aloe and chick pea flour helps to clear excess oil, dead cells and unwanted dust. It lightens acne marks and provides an even skin tone.
- Wash face with a mild aloe vera face wash to remove excess oil and dust.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of chick pea flour and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with enough amounts of aloe juice to form a thick paste.
- Apply the face pack and leave it to dry.
- Gently scrub skin with wet fingers to remove the pack and wash with clean water.
- Repeat the process thrice in a week.
- Follow up with a light moisturizer.
3. Aloe Vera Juice
Drinking the juice helps to flush out the accumulated toxins from the body. It promotes the glow and radiance of the skin. Be warned: for some people the juice can cause diarrhea and other discomforts. If you are consuming it for the first time then start by taking a very small quantity and increase it to larger dose.
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh aloe gel to a glass of water and consume it on an empty stomach daily.
- For extra benefits: Add fresh ginger juice or lemon grass juice into the mixture.
- Alternatively: you can also add the juice to any non-acidic fruit juice.
Note: Instead of freshly extracted gel, you can drink bottled aloe juice but it may not provide the same effectiveness as the fresh ones.
4. Aloe Vera and Turmeric
The light coarse texture of turmeric acts as a gentle scrub. Both turmeric and aloe act as natural antiseptic to repair irritated skin, soothe painful acnes and lighten scars.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of aloe gel and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas.
- Let it sit for around 10 minutes.
- Using wet fingers, gently massage for 5 minutes in circular motions.
- Rinse it off with water and pat dry.
- Continue the process 3 times in a day.
5. Aloe Vera, Honey and Lemon
It is an excellent remedy for removal of acne scars. Lemon and honey are natural bleaching agents. They help to clear blemishes and reveal clear skin.
- Mix equal quantities of aloe, honey and lemon in a clean bowl.
- Apply the mixture on the acne scars.
- Let it sit for couple of minutes.
- Massage the application for few minutes and wash off with cool water.
Note: The mixture can also be applied on the face if there are no open acne wounds or bruises on the skin. Lemon should never be applied on open wounds as it can cause unbearable skin irritation.
6. Aloe Vera Gel and Almond Oil
The vitamin E content present in almond oil moisturizes the skin and lightens the scars naturally. This combination is very effective in treating the scars.
- In a clean bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of gel and 2 drops of almond oil.
- Using a scrub, exfoliate the affected areas for few minutes. This helps to remove impurities from the skin.
- Now, apply the mixture on the affected areas.
- Massage with gentle strokes till your skin completely absorbs the mixture.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and wipe off with a moist tissue paper.
- Repeat the process once in a day.
Note: You can also leave the application overnight and rinse off in the morning.
7. Aloe Vera and Almond Powder
Almond powder acts as a gentle scrub to remove dust and dead cells. Almonds are rich in vitamin E which is helpful to remove scars and promote healthy skin. It soothes skin, repairs acne wounds and lightens blemishes.
- Grind 10 almonds in a grinder to make a fine powder.
- Mix 1 tablespoon almond powder and aloe juice to make a paste.
- Spread the paste on the affected areas.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes to dry.
- With wet fingers, gently scrub your face to remove pack.
- Rinse off the application with clean water.
- Follow the method daily for a clear acne free skin.
8. Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Oil
Many researches have suggested that tea tree oil is very effective in lightening the scars caused by acne and other injuries without any side effects.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of gel and 2 drops of tea tree oil.
- Mix well and apply it to the affected area.
- Leave the application to dry completely.
- Rinse off with cool water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process daily until you notice the results.
9. Aloe Vera and Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil has beneficial properties which heal the damaged skin tissue and helps it to rejuvenate. This combination is very effective in providing results quickly.
- Combine 1 tablespoon aloe gel and contents of 1 vitamin E capsule.
- Mix well and apply it on the affected areas.
- Leave the application to dry completely.
- Rinse off the application with lukewarm water followed by cold water.
- Repeat the process once in a day to achieve effective results.
Tips and Precautions:
- Make sure you are not allergic to latex, onions, garlic and tulips or plants before trying aloe vera for pimple marks. If you are allergic to these then you are allergic to aloe also.
- Consult doctor before consuming the juice. It is also best to control start with small quantities.
- When using the aloe plant for acne, make sure to use only the gel part of the leaf.
- Take a facial steam before applying. It helps to open up the pores and enables deep penetration.
- Exfoliate the skin regularly to remove the dead skin cells and other impurities from the skin.
- Moisturize the affected area regularly as dryness doesn’t enable the skin tissue to recover. Use it based moisturizers for more effective results.
- Drink plenty of water to maintain the skin hydrated and supple.
- If the acne scars are causing any irritation or burning sensation, then consult a dermatologist immediately.
Using aloe for acne scars works in lightening the scars and preventing the future breakouts. If you have any queries or suggestions, write to us in the comment section below.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.