Gout is a chronic form of arthritis which is characterized by sudden severe bouts of pain in the joints along with swelling and redness. It is more prevalent among men compared to women. Mostly, women experience it after menopause.
Gout is caused by increased level of uric acid in the blood. The uric acid forms hard crystals in the joints which lead to pain and inflammation. Being overweight, excessive consumption of alcohol or consuming too much of meat and fish increases the risk of gout. Gout can be treated with simple home remedies like apple cider vinegar.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Useful for Treating Gout?
- Uric acid crystals form in the body when it is in an acidic state. Acetic acid in apple cider vinegar transforms into an alkaline agent once it enters the body and disrupts the favorable environment required for gout.
- Drinking apple cider vinegar promotes blood circulation and purification that breaks up the uric acid crystals and prevents them from reforming in the joints.
- Apple cider vinegar contains valuable nutrients such as potassium, iron and calcium that alleviate the symptoms of gout such as pain, swelling and inflammation.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Gout?
We have mentioned several ways of treating gout with apple cider vinegar. Choose one and try it regularly to get relief.
Note: When trying out the ACV treatments, initially you may observe increase in symptoms. This happens because uric acid crystals may cause some inflammation while dissolving. The die-off symptoms should reduce within a few weeks.
1. Internal Consumption
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water.
- Stir it using a spoon and drink this concoction twice a day.
- Repeat this remedy till pain and inflammation is completely gone.
- For added benefits: you can add 1 tablespoon of honey.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Soak
- Soak a clean towel or cloth in undiluted apple cider vinegar.
- Wrap it around the affected area and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- If the gout attack is in your toes, then you can immerse it in an apple cider vinegar bath prepared by mixing a cup of apple cider vinegar with 3 cups of water.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda Drink
Baking soda brings the pH of the body to a more alkaline level which makes the uric acid more soluble and helps to flush it out through the kidneys.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Mix well until the baking soda is completely dissolved.
- Drink this concoction 3 to 4 times a day.
- Repeat this remedy for a couple of weeks.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Cherry Juice
Antioxidant bioflavonoids and anthocyanins found in cherries reduce inflammation of the joints and lower the level of uric acid in the blood.
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of pure cherry juice.
- Give it a stir using a spoon and drink it up.
- You can drink two glasses of this juice every day.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar and Cayenne Poultice
Active ingredient capsaicin present in cayenne pepper helps the skin and joints restrict the pain messengers and promote the brain to stop reacting to the pain.
- Add a tablespoon each of cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar to a bowl.
- Mix it thoroughly to make a poultice.
- Apply it evenly on the painful areas and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with water and dry with a towel.
- Repeat the process 2 times in a day.
Note – Make sure to wash your hands property after using this remedy.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar and Epsom Salt Bath
High levels of magnesium and sulfate found in Epsom salt reduces inflammation and flushes out toxins from the body. It also prevents formation of joint proteins.
- Add 1 cup each of apple cider vinegar and Epsom salt to 1 liter of lukewarm water.
- Immerse your feet and other gouty areas such as arms and elbows in this bathwater and wait for 30 minutes.
- Repeat this process once every day.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice
High levels of vitamin C and citric acid in lemon juice helps to dissolve uric acid in the blood and provides relief from gout attack. Although, lemon juice is acidic in nature but it creates an alkaline environment in the body that helps to relieve gout.
- Mix the juice of one whole lemon and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
- Drink this concoction immediately.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day for best results.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar and Cinnamon Drink
Research shows that the oils in cinnamon can inhibit a catalyst involved in the formation and accumulation of uric acid in the body.
- Add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water.
- Give it a stir using a spoon and drink it up.
- You can drink 2 to 3 cups of this drink in a day.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar and Ginger Tea
The strong anti-inflammatory compounds gingerol and shogaols present in ginger helps to reduce pain, inflammation and swelling associated with gout.
- Bring a cup of water to boil and add a few slices of fresh ginger to it.
- Let the water simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the ginger tea in a cup and cover it for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to it and drink it.
- You can have 2 cups of this tea per day.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar and Turmeric Drink
Active ingredient curcumin present in turmeric inhibits chronic inflammation and reduces the activity of xanthine oxidase, the enzyme involved in the production of uric acid.
- Add a teaspoon of crushed turmeric and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of warm water.
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil or flaxseed oil to it and give it a stir.
- Consume this drink twice a day.
Tips and Precautions:
- Acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar can erode tooth enamel and inflame the linings of the mouth and throat. So, make sure to drink apple cider vinegar in diluted form. Use a straw to consume it so that is does not come in contact with the teeth.
- Consuming excessive amounts of apple cider vinegar can lead to low potassium levels in the body.
- Some people may experience stomach upset, sore throat, nausea, headache, etc. after drinking apple cider vinegar.
- Apple cider vinegar can interact with certain medications and drugs such as diabetes medication, diuretic drugs, etc.
- Drink plenty of water each day to prevent the formation of uric acid crystals in the joints.
- Avoid sweetened drinks such as soda, sweetened fruit juices and energy drinks because they can make gout worse.
- Eat potassium-rich foods such as spinach, potatoes, cantaloupes, lima beans etc. to pass out uric acid through your system.
- Reduce the intake of foods that contain purine such as meat, fish, etc.
Try out these apple cider vinegar remedies for gout to relieve the pain without causing any side effects. Share your remedies and tips with us in the comments section.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.