Hair loss is one of the most common problems that affect both men and women. It is normal to lose about 100 strands of hair per day, and a person can lose even more while shampooing. But hair loss becomes a matter of concern when the natural growth cycle of the hair gets disrupted.
Male and female pattern baldness are two of the most common causes of hair loss. Hair loss can also be caused by malnutrition, sudden weight loss, excessive physical or emotional stress and certain health conditions such as thyroid disease, autoimmune diseases, lupus, etc. Thankfully, there are a number of remedies using natural ingredients such as apple cider vinegar that can address the problem of hair loss successfully.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Useful for Preventing Hair Loss?
- Malic acid and the active enzymes present in apple cider vinegar have antiseptic property which prevents the growth of bacterial and yeast infection leading to hair loss.
- Human hair is acidic in nature with a pH of 4 to 6. Shampooing increases the pH factor of the hair. Apple cider vinegar has a pH factor of 4 that helps to restore the natural pH balance of the hair and helps to maintain its protective layer.
- Apple cider vinegar is an effective cleansing agent which removes product residue, chemicals, dead cells and dirt from the scalp. This helps to open up the clogged hair follicles and increases hair growth.
- Apple cider vinegar increases blood circulation to the hair follicles which in turn supplies essential nutrients to the follicle cells that strengthens the roots and promotes hair growth.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair Loss?
Apple cider vinegar can be in different methods to increase hair strength and reduce hair loss. We have mentioned them below.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse
Apple cider vinegar alone can be used in diluted from as an effective natural treatment to prevent hair loss.
- Combine 1/2 cup each of organic apple cider vinegar and lukewarm water.
- Shampoo your hair normally.
- While the hair still wet, rinse your hair with the diluted ACV solution.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes while massaging your scalp occasionally.
- Then rinse your hair with water.
- Repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times a week.
Note – You can also use undiluted apple cider vinegar for this treatment to make it even more effective. But for first-time users it is best to dilute the apple cider vinegar with water to avoid adverse reactions.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey Hair Pack
Being an emollient, honey helps to condition the hair and make it soft and smooth. The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of honey prevent hair loss caused by microbial activity at the hair roots.
- Take 1/4 cup each of apple cider vinegar and water in a container.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to it.
- Secure the lid of the container and shake it well to mix all the ingredients.
- Apply this mixture to wet hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Wash off with water and a mild shampoo.
- Follow this process 3 to 4 times every week.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar and Rosemary Oil Massage
Rosemary essential oil prevents hair loss by stimulating cell division and dilating the blood vessels which in turn promotes the hair follicles to produce new hair growth.
- Take 1 tablespoon each of rosemary oil, 1/8 cup of apple cider vinegar and 3/4 cup of water in a bowl.
- Apply this mixture thoroughly all over the scalp and hair.
- Massage your scalp for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leave the application for another 30 minutes and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this method 2 to 3 times every week.
Note – You can add olive oil or coconut oil for added benefits.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Cayenne Pepper Scalp Tonic
Capsaicin present in cayenne pepper triggers the hair follicles in the scalp by increasing blood flow to the hair roots and creates a favourable environment for hair growth.
- Take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a bowl and add 2 to 3 drops of cayenne pepper extract to it.
- Mix it well and apply it to your scalp and problem areas.
- Leave it on for an hour and then rinse your scalp and hair with water.
- Repeat this remedy once every day for a few months.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar and Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Lauric acid present in coconut oil binds to the hair proteins and prevents the hair strands from breakage. The antioxidants and nutrients in coconut oil penetrate the hair shaft and boost hair growth. Antifungal and antibacterial properties of coconut oil prevent hair loss caused by fungal infections.
- Take 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Give it a quick stir and apply this mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Massage your hair with your finger tips for 5 minutes.
- Leave it on for another 20 to 30 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Reapply this hair mask 2 to 3 times every week.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda Hair Pack
Baking soda is a powerful cleansing agent that removes product residues from your scalp that clogs the follicles and thins the hair. It also removes chlorine that can damage the hair and cause hair fall.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and apple cider vinegar to 3 tablespoons of water.
- Mix it thoroughly to make a paste and apply it to your wet hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash your hair with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times every week.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar and Olive Oil Massage
The moisturizing effect of olive oil nourishes the scalp and prevents dandruff which is one of the main causes of hair loss. Olive oil also strengthens the hair strands and minimizes hair breakage.
- Take 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Mix it using a spoon and use this mixture to massage your scalp and hair for 5 minutes.
- Leave it on for an hour and then wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Follow this process 1 to 2 times every week.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar and Sage Tea Hair Rinse
The antibiotic, anti-allergic and antiseptic properties of sage prevent hair loss caused by fungal infections or allergic reactions. It is also a potent source of magnesium, potassium, zinc, B-vitamins and vitamin C – all of which promote healthy hair growth.
- Take 2 tablespoons of dried sage leaves in a container and pour 2 cups of boiling water over it.
- Let it steep for 10 to 15 minutes and then strain the tea.
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Use this tea to rinse your scalp and hair.
- Wrap your hair with a towel and wait for 30 minutes.
- Wash and rinse your hair as usual.
- Repeat this treatment every other day.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar and Aloe Vera Hair Mask
The mild alkaline property of aloe vera restores the pH of the scalp to its natural level and helps to fight off dandruff which is one of the main causes of hair loss.
- Take 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Mix it using a spoon and apply it generously all over your scalp and hair.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash off with water and a mild shampoo.
- Follow this hair treatment 3 to 4 times a week.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar and Amla Juice
Amla or Indian Gooseberry is a rich source of vitamin C. Deficiency of vitamin C is one of the most common reasons for hair loss. Amla helps to correct this deficiency.
- Take a few gooseberries and discard the seeds.
- Crush them to form a paste.
- Extract the juice from the pulp and add 1 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Mix it using a spoon and apply it to your scalp and hair.
- Leave it on for an hour and wash off with water.
- Repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times a week.
Tips and Precautions:
- When selecting apple cider vinegar for your remedies, make sure you opt for an organic, raw and unfiltered variety that includes the cloudy sediment at the bottom, known as “The Mother” which contains all the beneficial enzymes.
- Apple cider vinegar can dry out the hair and scalp, so those who already have dry hair should use apple cider vinegar in diluted from.
- Don’t worry about the smell of apple cider vinegar; it goes away once the hair dries out.
- Don’t use apple cider vinegar remedies on oiled hair. The oil will prevent the apple cider vinegar from penetrating into the scalp.
- Massage your scalp and hair with warm coconut or olive oil 2 to 3 times a week to improve blood circulation to the scalp.
- Reduce stress by practicing meditation, yoga and other relaxing exercises.
- Follow a balanced and healthy diet rich of fruits, vegetables, proteins, whole grains and healthy fats.
- Limit the use of chemical-laden hair products, hair color and heated styling tools.
Try out these effective natural remedies for hair loss using apple cider vinegar and say goodbye to hair loss permanently. Please share your hair loss remedies, tips and suggestions with us in the comments section below.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.