Kidney stones are hard masses made of minerals and acid salts that form from highly-concentrated crystals. Kidney stones cause abdominal, back, and groin pain, fever, chills, and painful urination.
Apple cider vinegar (or ACV) is formed by the fermentation of apples and is commonly used as a natural treatment for many skin conditions and ailments. ACV is also great at treating kidney stones and the associated pain.
Is ACV Good for Kidney Stones?
- ACV contains citric acid which softens and dissolves kidney stones. It acts as an effective internal cleanser that flushes the kidney to remove the formed stones.
- ACV has an alkalizing effect on blood and urine, helpingdigestion better break down and remove kidney stones. It aids the overall digestive process by stimulating the production of hydrochloric acid. This prevents the formation of new kidney stones.
- ACV is highly acidic in nature and balances the body by dissolving the crystals that form into stones.
- ACV has acetic and phosphoric acids which completely dissolve or reduce the size of kidney stones, allowing them to pass freely. It also reduces or eliminates the pain caused by kidney stones.
ACV for Kidney Stones Treatment:
The following methods are popular and effective at ridding kidney stones. Try any of these methods to prevent kidney stones and the associated pain.
Note: Always use raw, organic, extra virgin, unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar containing Mother. Bragg is a great, organic brand which yields better results.
Method – 1: (ACV with Water)
- Mix 2 tablespoons ACV and 6 – 8 ounces of fresh water.
- Drink the solution frequently throughout the day before meals to dissolve and clear the kidney stones from the body.
- After the stones have passed, continue drinking the solution 1 – 2 times weekly to prevent the formation of new stones.
Method – 2: (ACVwith Honey)
- Mix a teaspoon of ACV and 2 teaspoons of raw honey.
- Drink the mixture frequently throughout the day.
- Repeat daily until you experience relief from the kidney stones.
- Or Mix 2 tablespoons of Bragg apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of honey in lukewarm water.
- Drink this once or twice a day.
Method – 3: (ACVPoultice)
- Heat equal quantities of ACV and water in a pan until warm.
- Soak a clean washcloth in the solution for a few seconds.
- Wring to remove the excess water.
- Place on the painful areas until the washcloth cools.
- Repeat twice daily until you experience relief from the kidney stones.
Method – 4: (ACVwith Baking Soda)
Kidney stones only occur in an acidic environment. Baking soda alkalizes the body quickly and removes acid.
- Mix 1 ounce of ACV and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a large glass of water.
- After, the solution has stopped fizzing, drink gradually over a 30-minute time span.
- Repeat three times daily until you experience relief from the kidney stones.
- Note: Add a squirt of honey for added results.
Method – 5: (ACVwith Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, and Water)
Lemon contains citric acid that prevents kidney stones by decreasing the acidity in urine.
- Mix 2 ounces of each organic olive oil and organic lemon juice.
- Drink the mixture, followed by 12 ounces of purified water.
- After 30 minutes, mix 12 ounces of water with freshly-squeezed ½ lemon juice and a tablespoon of ACV.
- Drink the mixture.
- Repeat hourly until you experience relief from the kidney stones.
Method – 6: (ACVwith Coconut Oil)
- Mix 2 tablespoons of ACV and coconut oil with 16 ounces of warm water.
- Drink regularly to prevent new kidney stone formations.
- Alternately take ACV in tablet or capsule form containing Mother.
- Avoid ACV if suffering from an underlying medical condition.
- Always consult a physician before addingACV to your daily diet.
- If suffering from gout, using ACV will reduce uric acid crystals causing pain and inflammation.
- Directly drinking undiluted ACV may burn the throat and cause stomach problems.
- Drink large quantities of water and small quantities of fruit juices to stay hydrated. Failure to do this will irritate the throat and decrease tooth enamel.
- Consume a tablespoon of ACV daily or use it as a salad dressing or condiment.
- Use a heating pad or hot water bottle to ease kidney stone pain.
Have you tried any of these methods? Do you know any other home remedies to treat kidney stones like parsley? Share your experience with us!
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.