The condition of your scalp affects your hair greatly. If you dream of healthy and lustrous hair, you must first make sure the scalp is healthy too.
In case you are suffering from any scalp condition like dryness, itching or dandruff, fret not! Try organic apple cider vinegar for scalp. It has the power to cleanse your hair, reduce hair-fall and bring back the hair shine you have been longing for.
Also, it treats all kinds of scalp problems by destroying the bacteria or fungi that clog your hair follicles.
In this article, let us know about its properties and how it works on different scalp problems.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Good for Your Hair and Scalp?
Apple cider vinegar is an effective remedy for health, hair and beauty. Coming to scalp, it works amazingly in avoiding the scalp and hair problems to make your scalp healthy and shiny. Following are the main properties of Apple Cider Vinegar which work well on the scalp problems.
- Apple cider vinegar disinfect the outer scalp by killing the fungus that caused by dry scalp. It also reduces the inflammation caused by the dry and itchy scalp.
- It contains powerful anti-septic property, active enzymes and is rich in mallic acid that help to kill the virus and yeast causing itchy scalp
- It has antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that prevents all the bacterial, fungal and viral activities on your scalp.
- It has the property to balance the pH levels of the scalp to clear itchiness and dryness. This helps to grow your hair healthy without any dandruff and other scalp problems.
- It acts as a natural clarifier. Acetic acid in apple cider vinegar removes the buildup from styling products and shampoos, and helps to strengthen your hair by closing the cuticles on your hair shaft. All these process (removal of buildup and smoothing of hair cuticle) helps to promote the natural shine and at last leaves your hair lighter and softer.
- It helps to open up the clogged pores and acts as mild conditioner. The acidic content in it helps to reduce the itchiness, dryness and drastically brings down flaking on the scalp.
- It has a lot of essential nutrients (vitamins C, A, B1, B6, Potassium, iron) and alpha hydroxy acids that exfoliates the top layers of the skin and treats the scalp psoriasis problem.
- White vinegar helps to remove the dead cells from the scalp and prevents the bacterial and fungal infections on the scalp.
- Vinegar will cleanse your scalp and helps to heal any scratches that you’ve made with your fingernails.
Apple Cider Vinegar Treatment for Scalp:
In our general lifestyle, scalp faces many problems like dryness, itchiness, flaking, dandruff, etc. Besides using shampoos and conditioners to your hair, try these apple cider vinegar methods (as per your scalp problem) that naturally makes your scalp healthy and problem free.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar or Plain White Vinegar)
- Take 1/4 cup of organic apple cider vinegar and add this to a cup of water
- Mix it well and pour this mixture in an empty spray bottle
- Squirt the bottle all over your scalp and hair
- Massage it gently so that it will saturate all over the hair.
- Leave it for about 3 – 5 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water followed by shampoo.
This process is also used to treat dry scalp, itchy scalp, dry itchy scalp, hair and scalp problems.
Method – 2: (Vinegar Rinse for the Scalp)
- Take 1/4 cup of vinegar and add 3/4 cup of water
- Mix it well and place the mixture in an empty spray or squeeze bottle
- Use this to rinse your hair in between shampooing and conditioning your hair
- Squirt or pour the mixture on the roots and allow it to sit for 3 – 5 minutes
- Then massage it occasionally and rinse the mixture from the hair thoroughly
- Now condition your hair from roots to end and pat it dry naturally
- This process helps to make your scalp healthy, much less itchy, controls oil, silky and shiny.
Method – 3: (White Vinegar)
- Take 1/2 cup of vinegar mix it with 2 cups of warm water
- After shampooing your hair, use this vinegar solution to rinse your hair
- You can also add few drops of sage oil and let it rinse sit for up to 30 minutes
- Wash your hair completely and repeat this process once a week.
Method – 4: (Diluted Vinegar)
- Take 1/4 cup of white vinegar and mix it with 1/2 cup of water
- Stir it well and pour the solution in glass spraying bottle
- Spray the solution on your scalp and hair
- Let it be like that for 5 – 10 minutes and then rinse it off.
- This process is also useful to treat itchy scalp, dandruff, dry scalp.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Dry Scalp:
The use of artificial shampoos and styling products on your scalp and hair will dry out the skin and leaves it itchy. Vinegar with its anti-bacterial properties kills the bacteria that cause dry, flaky dandruff. Here are some effective method for you to try.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
- First of all, clear your hair with cold water
- Take a cotton ball and dip it in a bowl which has apple cider vinegar
- Stick the scalp with that cotton that it has to cover all the scalp area
- Let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes and then wash it off with cold water
- Repeating it twice a week until you got complete relief from the dry scalp.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Keep a jug of apple cider vinegar in the shower and measure 1/4 cup.
- Pour this mixture over your head after shampooing and rinsed your hair.
- Massage it into the scalp with your finger tips and then get out of the shower without rinsing the vinegar from your hair.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse)
- Take equal quantities i.e. 1/2 cup of each apple cider vinegar and water
- Stir it well and use this solution to massage your scalp and hair
- Vinegar has to be saturated all over the scalp and let it sit for about 5 – 10 minutes
- Rinse it off with water and then apply shampoo (tea tree oil based shampoo is preferred)
- This process helps to make your hair well moisturized that prevents dryness and dry scalp problems.
Method – 4: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Beer)
- Take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and add this to 2 cups of beer. Beer acts as natural conditioner and helps to clear the dryness and thereby dry scalp.
- Stir it well and apply this solution to your scalp and hair after shampooing your hair i.e. use this as a conditioner to your hair
- Let it sit for few minutes by massaging it on your scalp
- Then rinse it off and repeat this process for best results that prevents dry scalp.
Method – 5: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Other Conditioners)
- Take a saucepan, add 3 cups of water and handful of rosemary
- Bring it to a boil and lower the heat to simmer and then slowly cook it for 45 minutes
- Strain the mixture in a bowl and allow it to get cool
- Add 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar with 10 drops each of rosemary and peppermint essential oils
- Stir it well and pour this into an empty spray bottle and use it after shampooing
- Rinse it out and after drying the hair, you will feel that your scalp and hair is well moisturized.
Method – 6: (White Vinegar)
- Mix 1/4 cup of white vinegar in a cup of water and set it aside
- Wash your hair with shampoo and then rinse it off completely
- Apply conditioner to your scalp and hair and allow it stay on hair for 3 – 5 minutes and rinse it well
- Squeeze out the excess water from your hair and massage your scalp by using your finger tips
- Then pour the vinegar rinse over your head i.e. directly on your scalp as much as possible
- Leave it on for 5 minutes and rinse it with warm water and then go for a final rinse with water.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff and Dry Scalp:
Vinegar is used as an effective method to treat the dry scalp and dandruff problem. Try these methods to get rid of it.
Method – 1: (Vinegar Rinse)
- Take 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and add this to 2 cups of warm water
- Mix it well and pour it over your hair after you take shampoo and rinse.
- Check whether it covered all the scalp area or not
- Leave it like that without rinsing the vinegar solution from your hair
- Don’t worry about the smell as the vinegar is diluted it won’t smell strongly.
- This process helps to prevent the dandruff and dry scalp and leaves your hair healthy and shiny.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Tea Tree Oil and Coconut Oil)
- Mix equal parts i.e. 1/2 cup of both apple cider vinegar and water
- Use this mixture to massage your scalp and hair by pouring it over your hair
- Allow the vinegar solution to sit in hair for about 10 – 15 minutes (it starts burn and sting a little bit but works)
- Then rinse your hair with tea tree oil containing shampoo twice to get rid of the vinegar smell and debris.
- Dry your hair and apply coconut oil and massage it on your scalp
- Follow this method everyday for 3 – 4 days to prevent dandruff and dry scalp problems.
Get more idea about dry scalp treatment by reading the post – Home Remedies for Dry Scalp Treatment.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Itchy Scalp:
Apple cider vinegar has been used as a great weapon that fights against the scalp itchiness and moisturizes your scalp efficiently. Have a look on how to use apple cider vinegar to treat itchy scalp.
Method: (Diluted Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Firstly, rinse your scalp and hair with water and allow it dry completely
- Take equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water (1:1 ratio as per length of your hair) in a bowl
- Mix it well and apply this diluted apple cider vinegar solution directly on your scalp by using cotton ball or using spray bottle.
- Massage it for few minutes that help to spread the solution to all over the scalp
- Allow it to sit for about 15 – 20 minutes by covering your hair with a shower cap or towel
- Finally, wash it off with shampoo followed by normal water
- Continue doing this process regularly for twice a week to get rid of the itchy scalp.
Method – 2: (Vinegar)
- First of all, wash your hair properly by using shampoo
- Take a cup of warm water and add 3 tablespoons of vinegar
- Stir it well and apply this to your hair as it reaches the itchy scalp
- Massage the scalp and let it sit for few minutes
- Rinse it off with water make sure that the vinegar solution has completely washed away.
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse for Itchy Scalp:
In order to use apple cider vinegar effectively to stop the itching on your scalp then you have to follow these methods.
Method – 1: (Vinegar with Aloe Vera, Rosemary Oil and Honey)
- Take 1/2 cup each of vinegar and water, 1/3 cup of aloe vera juice, 1 teaspoon of honey and 6 drops of rosemary oil
- Stir all the above ingredients and pour it in a spray bottle
- Spray this solution all over your scalp and massage it to spread completely to your hair and scalp.
- Wrap your head in a plastic shower cap and wait for 20 minutes
- Take off the shower cap and rinse it with cold water, shampoo and conditioner (sulfate free)
- Allow it to dry and style your hair as usual.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda Rinse)
- Take a tablespoon of baking soda and mix it well with sufficient amount of water to make it like a fine paste
- Use this paste to rub the scalp and let it sit for few minutes
- Before rinsing it with warm water, mix 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and pour it from your forehead into scalp
- Wait for few minutes and then rinse it off with warm water and pat it dry naturally
- Repeat it regularly to get rid of the itchy scalp.
Do you know Best Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp?
Vinegar for Itchy Scalp and Dandruff:
Apple cider vinegar contains acids and enzymes that kill the bottle bacillus, a bacteria that is responsible for many scalp and hair conditions like dandruff, itchy scalp, flaky scalp, hair loss, etc.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Wash your hair properly and take a bowl
- Fill the bowl with apple cider vinegar
- Apply it on your scalp with cotton ball and massage it into the scalp in all ways through the hair shafts
- Let it sit for 20 – 30 minutes and then rinse it off with water
- Repeat the same process few times a week whenever possible to get rid of the itchy scalp and dandruff.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Tea Tree Oil)
- Take 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and add few drops of tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is an excellent natural anti-dandruff agent.
- Mix it well in a cup of water and apply this to your hair
- Gently rub it to spread all over the scalp and leave it for few minutes
- Wash your hair with water followed by the shampoo.
Also get an idea about How to use Tea Tree Oil for Scalp Treatment.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Dry Itchy Scalp:
Apple cider vinegar balances the pH levels of the scalp and helps to relieve itchiness and dryness. Try this method that helps to clear the dry itchy scalp.
- Take 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, 3 – 4 drops of soy oil, 1 – 2 tablespoons of honey that microwave for few seconds to get liquefied, 5 – 6 drops of peppermint oil and 6 drops of tea tree oil.
- Stir all the ingredients well and pour it in an empty bottle
- Place the lid and shake it well.
- Microwave the bottle for 10 seconds and take it out and stir it well
- Divide your hair in small parts and apply this hair and massage that helps to saturate all over the scalp and hair
- Tie up the small parts of your hair after applying this solution
- Leave it like that for few minutes and then rinse it off with shampoo and style it as usual.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair and Scalp:
Vinegar helps to have healthy hair and scalp. It helps to get rid of all excess skin and cleanses and it also moisturizes the scalp and hair to prevent dryness, itchiness and flaking. After trying this method you came to know that vinegar is too good for your hair and scalp (cleansing).
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Avocado and Coconut Oil)
- Take equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water
- Mix it well in a spray bottle and spray it all over your scalp that your scalp has to be covered completely.
- Divide your hair into small parts and then spray it and at last after completely, tie your hair
- Let it soak for 5 -10 minutes and rinse it off with tea tree oil infused shampoo.
- Allow your scalp to soak in the shampoo for 3 – 6 minutes and then wash it off thoroughly
- Then take an avocado and smash it to get puree from it
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix it well to make fine creamy paste. Avocado and coconut oil are super hydrating and moisturizing agents to your scalp and hair
- Apply this paste on your hair and start massaging your scalp as it has to reach all over the scalp
- Make sure to have towel handy as this cream is too messy.
- Once you covered entire scalp and hair then wrap your hair in shower cap
- Leave this mask on your hair for at least 30 minutes or if possible for best results, allow it to be for overnight
- Rinse it off with cold water and wash your hair with mild shampoo
- Repeating it regularly will definitely makes your hair and scalp feel amazing.
Method – 2: (Vinegar with Baking Soda)
- Take sufficient amount of baking soda (as per your hair length) and mix it with water to make it like a fine solution.
- Apply this mixture to dry or wet hair by applying it on the roots at the scalp
- Massage the scalp for a minute or two so that your scalp will be cleaned.
- Wash it off completely with warm water
- Take 1 part of white vinegar and mix it with 4 parts of water
- Mix it well and you can also add any essential oil to the mix to get rid of the vinegar smell
- Then tilt your head back pour this vinegar solution by closing your eyes.
- Make sure that it has to distribute all over your scalp and hair
- Leave it for few minutes and then rinse it off with cool water.
Method – 3: (Vinegar)
- Shampoo your hair properly
- Mix 1/2 cup of vinegar with 2 cups of warm water
- Use this mixture to rinse your hair
- Leave this on your hair for about 30 minutes and then wash your hair thoroughly with water
- For best results, follow this process once or twice a week.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Scalp Build-up:
Generally used shampoo will not remove the product buildup on the scalp that result from the use of stylish products, oils and products with silicones but the apple cider vinegar rinse helps to remove it very efficiently.
Method – 1: (Diluted Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take equal quantities of apple cider vinegar and water
- Mix it well and massage it into your hair and scalp after you co-wash and condition your hair
- Let it be like that for 3 – 5 minutes and then rinse it out completely
- Repeat this process whenever you overused the stylish products on your hair that prevents damage to your hair and makes it strong & healthy.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Clarifying Shampoo and Moisturizing Conditioner)
- Take a measuring cup and mix 1 part of apple cider vinegar with 3 parts of water in plastic applicator bottle. (Apple cider vinegar quantity depends up on length of your hair)
- Wet your hair and apply clarifying shampoo to the entire hair and scalp and lather it slightly
- Then take a shampoo brush and brush it gently on the scalp in circular motion to stimulate the scalp
- Wash the shampoo out of the hair with cold water and apply apple cider vinegar mixture with the applicator.
- Massage it for 2 – 3 minutes with your fingers but focus more on scalp.
- Rinse your hair with cold water to remove the apple cider vinegar mixture then you will notice a decrease in residue on your scalp and hair
- Must apply moisturizing conditioner to your hair and comb your hair from root to tip
- Cover your hair by using shower cap and let it sit for about 30 – 45 minutes
- Wash your hair with cold water and dry it and if you want, style your hair as usually.
Vinegar for Scalp Fungus:
Scalp fungus is an uncomfortable situation that leaves your hair with unsightly dandruff and intolerable itching. Fungus naturally occurs in the scalp as it gets oilier that gives fungus more food to feed longer on it. Vinegar, which is capable of killing fungus and bacteria that causes scalp fungus and making it as topical treatment for the scalp fungus.
Method – 1: (Vinegar)
- Take 2 cups of vinegar and boil it for few minutes until it gets warm
- Allow it to get cool and then take 1/8 cup of this warm solution and mix it with a cup of water
- Stir it well and use this mixture to rinse in your hair before shampooing and after conditioning
- Process has to be continued daily to get rid of the scalp fungus.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take 1/2 cup each of apple cider vinegar and water
- Stir it well and use this after shampooing your hair
- Pour this on your scalp and hair and massage it in the hair at the base of neck working towards the right side of the scalp.
- Allow the solution to stay on the hair for 2 – 5 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Scalp Psoriasis:
Scalp psoriasis is standard psoriasis that occurs when plaque develops on the scalp as thickened patches that appears to be red or inflamed and silver in color. Vinegar (any type of vinegar) has been used from centuries that kills the bacteria on food, relieve itching and irritation that prevents the psoriasis.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and add it to a cup of water
- Stir it well and pour it in an empty spray bottle
- Spray it on the scalp but concentrate more on the psoriasis affected area of the scalp.
- Or you can use a wash cloth that soaked in the diluted vinegar solution and apply it on the psoriasis affected part of the scalp to ease the itching and irritation.
- Keep the vinegar solution in refrigerator for additional cooling effect that heals the burning and itching sensation.
- But make sure that if you have cracked skin, open sores or bleeding sores on scalp then skip this vinegar remedy as it will irritate the skin and causes burning sensation.
Method – 2: (Vinegar Soak)
- Take a cup of vinegar and add this to your bath water
- After shampooing your hair and soak in it for about 15 – 20 minutes
- Rinse it off properly and dry your scalp
- Apply any carrier oil that helps to retain the moisture in your scalp and prevents itching and irritating.
- Or apply apple cider vinegar straight on the psoriasis affected part of the scalp will also works well in curing it.
Vinegar for Flaky Scalp:
Flaky scalp is the scalp that has dried dead skin accumulated on the scalp and causes dryness, itching and dandruff. It forms flakes on the scalp due to lack of oil production. Vinegar is a best solution for this flaky scalp as it cleanse your scalp and moisturizes it by balancing the pH level of the scalp.
Method – 1: (Vinegar)
- Take small amount of vinegar (either apple cider vinegar or normal vinegar)
- Apply this vinegar solution on the scalp but focus more on the flakes area.
- Let it sit for few minutes and then rinse it off with water
- Repeat this process regularly as it helps to remove the dead skin cells from the scalp that block your hair follicles that cause flakes.
Method – 2: (Vinegar with Olive Oil)
- Take small amount of olive oil and warm it for few seconds to get slightly warm
- Let it cool for few minutes to reach room temperature
- Apply it on your scalp and massage it for few minutes
- Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes and comb your hair thoroughly
- Then use vinegar solution (vinegar mixed with water) to rinse your hair
- You can dry it like that or you can wash your hair after few minutes
- Remember that the vinegar smell will disappear when your hair dries out.
Tips for ACV on Scalp:
For additional benefits, you have to follow these tips.
- Add vinegar (any type) to your shampoo or conditioner and stir it well before applying. Apply this to lather and then rinse it off. It also helps to treat the scalp problems.
- Although the vinegar solution in any methods are quite diluted that won’t burn your scalp. If you have any burning and irritating sensation, then dilute it by adding less of vinegar and more of water or any other mixing agents.
- Don’t worry about the smell of vinegar (apple cider vinegar) after applying it. As this will dissipate naturally when your hair dries. Even though if you’re still bothered about the smell then reduce the amount of apple cider vinegar used.
- Repeat all the above mentioned methods regularly to prevent any scalp problems.
- You can also use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar in other ways like using it in salad dressing, drinking it by diluting it in water, etc. to get the benefited from it also in treating the scalp problems.
- Always, it’s best to use organic, raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar that contains mother in it.
Using vinegar (either apple cider vinegar or white vinegar) will prevent the scalp problems. But it essential to follow some other tips like removal of all stylish products on hair as early as possible, regular washing of hair, oil treatments, healthy diet, reduce the stress levels, etc. will helps to make your dream come true to have healthy and shiny hair.
All this is about Apple Cider Vinegar for all kinds of scalp problems. Have you tried any of these methods or do you have any other vinegar methods that treat scalp? Then share your experience with us.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.