Upset stomach is an extremely common health problem that most of us have experienced at least once in our lifetime. Stomach upset is referred to a group of symptoms such as bloating, nausea and stomach pain that are caused by indigestion. Stomach upset can be caused by excessive eating, eating too fast, having fatty or spicy foods or over-consumption of caffeine or alcohol.
Be it an acid reflux, upset stomach or heartburn, stomach pain is the common discomforting problem with varied intensities.Trapped gas, constipation, overeating, food poisoning, lactose intolerance and infection are some of the reasons behind the trouble.
It is difficult to concentrate on anything while suffering from a stomach ache, so we often look out for quick and easy solutions.
But if you have stomach pain due to hernia, stones in kidney, appendicitis and other serious conditions then it’s better to consult the doctor.
Just like tablets, home remedies are also easy to prepare and give quick relief from pain, bloating and other symptoms as well.
The best way to treat upset stomach is to correct the acid imbalance in the stomach using any natural food ingredient. Apple cider vinegar is a safe and effective natural treatment for upset stomach that addresses the underlying cause of the problem.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar an Effective Remedy for Upset Stomach?
- The enzymes produced during the fermentation process of making apple cider vinegar decrease digestive disorders by improving the breakdown of foods.
- Being highly acidic in nature, apple cider vinegar helps to restore the low acidic levels in the stomach which is responsible for heartburn, improper digestion and acid reflux.
- The acids in apple cider vinegar facilitate the breakdown of oils and proteins which in turn speeds up the digestion.
- Apple cider vinegar contains pectin, potassium and acetic acid which work together to provide relief from bloating and gas.
Let’s have a look at its properties…
- It acts a natural cleaner which helps to ease the digestion by absorbing the non-essential nutrients.
- The main reason behind stomach problems is the imbalance or lack of acid. The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar balances the acid levels in your stomach.
- It contains many valuable minerals, trace elements, LDL cholesterol-lowering pectin, enzymes, fat burning acetic acid, amino acids and other beneficial nutrients which boost the immunity.
- The malic acid present in apple cider vinegar has antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties which improve bowel irregularities.
- The high pectin present in it soothes the irritated stomach of an entire gastrointestinal tract and relieves cramps, gas, bloating and nausea.
- Its antibiotic nature soothes stomach by improving digestion and other stomach problems.
- Its helps to alkalize the body by improving the body’s pH levels.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Upset Stomach?
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Water
Diluted apple cider vinegar can be used as an effective remedy for upset stomach, acid reflux and heartburn.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Consume this drink prior to each meal 3 times a day.
- Drink it 30 minutes before consuming meals.
- For added taste, add 1 tablespoon of black strap molasses.
- Alternatively, you can prefer normal water or tea or juice instead of warm water.
- Alternatively, you can drink 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar straight from the bottle.
- Repeat this process whenever required.
Note: Apple cider vinegar is too acidic in nature and so it is best to avoid consumption of undiluted apple cider vinegar.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey Drink
The combination of apple cider vinegar and honey helps to soothe an irritated stomach, relieve nausea and prevent acid reflux.
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of honey to a glass of lukewarm water.
- Stir well so that all the ingredients get incorporated.
- Alternatively, you can use normal water instead of lukewarm water.
- Alternatively, you can use manuka honey instead of honey.
- You can drink it 10 – 15 minutes before taking your meals.
- Drink this concoction with each meal until you get complete relief from stomach upset.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda Drink
Baking soda works as a natural antacid and helps to neutralize the acids in the digestive system. It also breaks down food for easier digestion and relives gas and bloating.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir it well and drink it to get instant relief from upset stomach.
- Repeat this remedy 2 times in a day for best results.
- Drink it to get instant relief from stomach pain.
- For extra taste, add a little honey.
- Follow the process regularly to avoid recurrence of pain.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Water
The acidic nature of lemon helps to break down food and promotes the function of the stomach acids. It also helps to clear the system.
- Take 2 lemons and squeeze the juice out of it.
- Add lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to 1 glass of water.
- Drink this concoction to get relief from bloating, gas and acid reflux.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar and Mint Tea
Fresh peppermint helps to relax the stomach muscles and improve the flow of bile which aids proper digestion. It also helps to reduce gas and bloating.
- Take handful of fresh peppermint leaves and add it to a cup of boiling water.
- Cover and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to it and give it a stir.
- Sip the tea slowly while it’s still warm.
Note: You can chew fresh pepper mint leaves for better results.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar and Rice Water Drink
Rice water is the water that is left-over after cooking the rice. Its demulcent properties reduce inflammation by forming a soothing barrier over the lining of the stomach.
- Cook 1/2 cup of white rice with 2 cups of water in a pot.
- As the rice starts becoming tender, remove it from the heat and leave it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, drain the excess rice water from the pot and collect it in a glass.
- Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to it and drink it up.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar and Chamomile Tea
Chamomile helps to relieve stomach pain, cramping and spasms caused by gastritis. It has potent anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the inflamed linings of the stomach and relax the muscles of the upper digestive track.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile or a chamomile tea bag to a mug.
- Pour boiling water over it, cover the mug and let it steep for 15 minutes.
- Now add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to it and sip the tea slowly.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar and Ginger Drink
Ginger root contains gingerols and shogoals – two naturally occurring chemicals that relax the smooth muscles of the intestinal track and relieve stomach cramps and nausea.
- Wash and peel 1-2 inches of ginger root and crush it.
- Bring a cup of water to boil and add the crushed ginger to it.
- Boil the water for another 3 minutes and then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain the water and add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Sip the drink slowly.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar and Fennel Drink
Fennel seeds contain a volatile oil known as anethole which promotes the secretion of digestive juices that clear the system and reduce the pain caused by inflammation and gastritis.
- Add a tablespoon of fennel seeds to a glass of water and let it steep overnight.
- Strain the water and add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Drink it on an empty stomach.
- Repeat this remedy for 2 to 3 days.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar and Fenugreek Powder Drink
High amount of mucilage present in fenugreek seeds bulk up the stool and helps to clear your system thoroughly. It helps to relieve the symptoms of gastritis as well.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds powder and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Mix it using a spoon and drink it up.
- Drink this concoction twice daily for 2 to 3 days.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar with Salt
- To a pint of water, add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Stir well and pour the mixture in a bottle.
- Sip this mixture throughout of the day.
- Repeat the process whenever you experience stomach pain.
12. Apple Cider Vinegar Ice Cubes
- Mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Pour this mixture in an ice cube tray and freeze them.
- Pop out an ice cubes and suck them throughout the day.
- Repeat the procedure regularly.
Tips and Precautions:
- Although, apple cider vinegar is used as a remedy for upset stomach, it may cause unpleasant digestive symptoms in certain people, so check whether it works for you or not.
- Use only raw, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar that contains the mother to get the maximum benefits out of it. Raw, organic and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with mother in it provides better results.
- Make sure to purchase and use apple cider vinegar preserved in glass containers. The chemicals present in plastic bottles react with apple cider vinegar and spoil the liquid.
- Drink apple cider vinegar with a straw to prevent teeth enamel damage. Make sure to use a straw while drinking apple cider vinegar to prevent the tooth erosion, softening the enamel and other damages to teeth. Also, rinse your mouth with water after 15 – 20 minutes.
- It is not good to drink undiluted apple cider vinegar, because it is highly acidic and can irritate the tissues of the throat and esophagus.
- Excessive consumption of apple cider vinegar can cause low potassium levels and bone loss.
- Apple cider vinegar can interact with few medications such as diuretic drugs, diabetes medicines and Digoxin. So, consult your doctor before taking it.
- Cut back on greasy, fatty and spicy foods and replace fatty meats with leaner varieties.
- Maintain a balanced diet which includes whole grains, fibre, vegetables, fruits, lean meats, fish and dairy.
- Take time to eat and don’t overeat. Chew your food and stop eating when you feel full.
- Drink plenty of water to prevent constipation.
- Pregnant and nursing women should avoid taking cider vinegar without proper advice from their healthcare provider.
- You can also use apple cider vinegar pills instead of taking it in liquid form. But make sure to consult your doctor before taking it in any form for exact dosage (as per your health condition).
- High doses of apple cider vinegar can lead to headaches, severe itching, and change of bone density, stomach upset, nausea, decreased potassium levels and others.
- It might lower the blood sugar levels, so people with diabetes should closely monitor their blood sugar levels while using cider vinegar.
- Apart using apple cider vinegar, it is recommended to maintain a healthy lifestyle, good diet, and exercise regularly.
Try out these remedies right at the first sign of trouble to prevent further health complications and regulate gastrointestinal system. Do you have any apple cider vinegar remedies for upset stomach that did not make it to this list? Then please share it with us in the comments section below.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.