Stomachache is a discomforting pain in abdominal region and it is very common in people of all ages. Either upset stomach, acid reflux or heartburn, the only thing in common is stomach pain. Excess stomach acid is main culprit behind the discomfort, so requiring a neutralizer to relieve from symptoms.
Other than taking antacids, choose natural remedies like baking soda will give best and effective relief from problem.
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is an age old remedy that helps you in quelling the pain and discomfort in your upper abdomen. It is a salt compound that has base properties with pH of 8.4.
Is Baking Soda good for Stomach Pain?
- Baking soda acts as antacid that helps to neutralize the stomach acid (hydrochloric acid) to provide instant relief.
- It breaks down the food for easy digestion and relieves gas along with bloating.
- It balances the pH levels of the digestive system and alkalizes it.
- It eradicates the toxic substances and cleansing the intestinal tract to clear the pain.
- The sodium content in baking soda draws the digestive juices into stomach to ease the passage into small intestine and then down to the line.
How to use Baking Soda for Stomach ache:
You have to follow the below mentioned methods of baking soda that helps you in dealing with stomach ache and other intestinal problems related to it.
1) Baking Soda
This process is used to treat stomach pain caused by indigestion and acidity.
- Add 1 – 2 teaspoons of baking soda in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and drink this mix slowly to get relief from indigestion and pain.
- Or you can also use cold water instead of warm water.
- Alternatively, prepare your own natural antacid drink by mixing 1/2 teaspoon each of baking soda and water. Have this to get quick and effective acid neutralizing effect.
- Or else if you didn’t find any relief after using this process, then you have to add 2 tablespoons of baking soda in 1 glass of water. Drink this mix to clear tummy pain.
- Whenever you suffer from stomachache, drink this mix to cure it.
2) Baking Soda with Lemon
- Squeeze juice from 2 lemons and add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in it.
- Stir well and it causes some foaming.
- Drink this by adding honey or any sweetener till it is foaming.
- Or you can also add 1 lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of baking soda and a pinch of salt in 1/2 glass of water. Drink this to burp and clear all the gas and bloating to clear the pain.
- Alternatively, you can add juice of 1 lemon, 5 grams of baking soda in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and drink it down to clear the problem. Massage the abdomen for more quick results.
- Regular intake will definitely help you to heal the abdomen pain.
3) Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
- Add 1 teaspoon each of baking soda, honey and apple cider vinegar.
- Stir it well in 1 glass of water.
- Drink this mix for twice a day till you get complete relief from stomach pain.
Dosage of Baking Soda for Stomach ache:
Baking soda, if taken in right dose then it cures the problem or else over dosage will reverse the problem.
For adults, take 1 to 2 teaspoon of baking soda for every 3 – 4 hours till the problem cured. Be sure that the adult dosage should not exceed 5 teaspoons per day.
For children (above 6 years), take 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon for twice a day.
Tips and Precautions:
You have to follow these tips and precautions along with the above methods to get more faster relief from the abdominal pain.
- Avoid taking baking soda in large amounts, as it causes high blood pressure. If you’re on sodium or salt restricted diet, then lower the baking soda to reduce other health issues.
- Be sure that not to give baking soda mix to children, pregnant women and nursing women.
- Always check that baking soda is completely dissolved before taking the mixture. Also check for pure baking soda but not baking powder.
- People who are suffering with kidney problems, liver cirrhosis, congestive heart problems, calcium absorption problems, etc. should avoid taking baking soda.
- It can interact with certain medications, so consult your doctor to discuss before taking baking soda and your health conditions.
- Capsules, tablets, granules and solutions are other forms of using baking soda which you can use to clear the problem. Never ever consume baking soda on full stomach.
- It exhibits certain side effects like gas, increased thirst, headache, nausea, stomach cramps, breathing difficulties, etc. so avoid taking it heavily.
- Remember that baking soda doesn’t cure your stomach related diseases but it just gives you a symptomatic relief. If you’re stomach pain is over whelming or consistent with other associated symptoms, then you have to consult your doctor for immediate diagnosis and treatment.
- Apart from simply following baking soda remedies, you have to stay hydrated, have small meals in regular intervals of time, avoid food which is allergic to you, do some regular exercises, etc. to prevent the recurrence of stomach ache.
This is all about Baking Soda treatment for Stomachache. Hope you’ll give a trial to these baking soda remedies for curing your stomach ache problem. Let us know which one worked best for clearing your stomachache.