Candida Albicans is a common type of yeast fungus that lives on the skin, especially in areas like the mouth, throat, and genitals —it can even be found in the intestinal tract. It's when this fungus starts multiplying abnormally when it can lead to a yeast infection.
Candidiasis is a yeast infection which causes redness and itching in the exterior vagina and inner thigh area. Certain conditions can trigger infections, such as illness or a weak immune system, stress, upset stomach, and certain medications, to name a few.
Although most women use over the counter medicines for treating Candidiasis, there are many natural home remedies which alleviate the yeast infection and its symptoms. Baking soda for
feminine odor and vaginal itching is a natural treatment that you can try on your own at home.
But why is a common household item like baking soda help cure yeast infections?
Here's a quick explanation...
Why Baking Soda Cures Candida
- It is alkaline in nature and thus changes the vagina’s acidic nature temporarily to higher alkaline in which the Candida can’t survive in.
- It balances the pH levels of the body.
- It works as a great anti – fungal agent that dehydrates and kills the fungus or yeast.
- BS sucks enzymes and water content from the fungus and leaves the microorganism dehydrated.
- BS discourages the further growth of microorganisms and helps to keep the skin clean as well as dry.
Apart from trying out the baking soda remedies, you have to include probiotics in your daily diet to control and prevent the infection from the inside. The number of bacterial strains present in probiotics, colonize your body with good bacteria and keep the bad bacteria like Candida Albicans under control.
How to Use Baking Soda for Yeast Infection
1. Plain Old Baking Soda for a Yeast Infection
Baking soda alters the acidic environment when it is applied and this method is very effective in treating the thrush yeast infection / oral yeast infection.
Method 1 - Drinking Baking Soda for a Yeast Infection
- Mix 1/2 a teaspoon of BS in a glass of water until it dissolves.
- Drink this mix twice a day on an empty stomach.
- Continue drinking this water for 2 weeks and then rest for another 2 weeks.
- If you don’t get any relief after 2 weeks then you have to repeat the same process.
Method 2 - Make a Paste
- Mix 2 tablespoons of BS and enough water to make a paste.
- Apply on the infected skin and leave for few minutes.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Repeat daily.
Method 3 - Make a Tonic
- Mix 1 teaspoon of BS in 250 ml of water until it dissolves.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution and apply on the affected areas.
- Bonus: You can use this water to wash the affected area to reduce redness, inflammation and irritation.
2. Baking Soda Bath for Yeast Infection
A bath allows for washing the vagina with baking soda to help relieve the external itching and other symptoms.
- Add 1/2 – 1 cup of BS in your bathtub with warm water.
- Stir it well and soak yourself for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Make sure to dry your skin thoroughly with a clean cloth afterwards.
- This process is also effective in treating yeast infection in pregnant women.
- For more effective relief, add BS in a salt bath.
- Repeat twice a week.
3. Baking Soda with Hydrogen Peroxide
This process is very useful in treating oral yeast infection.
- Mix hydrogen peroxide (3%) in 2 tablespoons of BS to make a paste.
- Use this as anti-fungal toothpaste to brush your teeth.
- Or you can also brush your teeth with BS and sea salt.
4. Baking Soda with Tea Tree Oil Bath
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil and 1 cup of BS in a shallow sitz bath.
- Run warm water over it and stir well.
- Sit in it for a few minutes before washing off with water.
- Or you can go for a detox bath using BS, Epsom salt and hydrogen peroxide.
- Or simply add 1 cup of cornstarch and 1/2 cup of BS to your warm bath and soak yourself for a few minutes.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of BS with 4 drops of tea tree oil and enough clean water to make a fine thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the infected areas and leave for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
- Repeat once daily
See more tips on using tea tree oil for yeast infections.
5. Baking Soda with Lemon Juice
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in 1 teaspoon of BS.
- Mix this paste in 1 glass of water and drink.
- After 15 – 20 minutes, consume 1 – 2 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Follow this process regularly.
6. Baking Soda Douche
Sodium bicarbonate douche helps to eliminate the yeast cells.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of BS in 4 cups of warmwater.
- Stir it well and use this mix as a douche to clear the vaginal area.
- Make sure to use this method twice a week for 2 weeks.
7. Baking Soda Suppository
- Fill BS into an empty gelatin capsule and insert this in your tampon before you put it into your vagina.
- Make sure to use this method twice a week for 2 weeks.
8. Baking Soda as Toothpowder
- After eating, brush your teeth with BS.
- Rinse your mouth with a mix prepared from 1/2 cup of warm water and 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide.
- Replace your toothbrush once you recover to prevent the infection in future.
9. Baking Soda with Maple Syrup
- Add 5 tablespoons of organic maple syrup into a pan on mild heat.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of BS in it until it turns gooey.
- Remove from the heat and allow the mix to cool.
- Eat this mix three times a day for 2 weeks and then twice a day for 4 weeks.
10. Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar Douche
A baking soda douche regulates the pH of the vagina and prevents the growth of yeast fungus.
- Firstly, douche with a mixture of organic apple cider vinegar and warm water.
- Let it sit for about 5 – 7 minutes, then douche with BS and water.
- Dry the area properly and wear loose underwear and clothes.
- Or you can also use a BS soaked tampon on the vaginal yeast infected area.
11. Baking Soda with Epsom Salt
This process is very useful in treating the yeast diaper rash in babies.
- Mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of BS and 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt in a warm bath.
- Stir it well and bathe your baby gently.
- You can also use colloidal oatmeal instead of Epsom salt in this process.
12. Baking Soda for Child Yeast Infection
- Mix 1 teaspoon of BS in 1 cup of water.
- Stir it well and use this mix to clean the infected area
- Dry the skin and then dress the child in loose clothes.
- Or add 2 tablespoons of BS to warm bath water and soak your child’s affected area in that.
- Or mix 1 tablespoon of BS with enough water and dab it on the cheeks, gums and tongue if your child has oral thrush.
- Or you can also apply this BS mix on the nipples, if you’re breastfeeding.
- Repeat the same processes regularly.
Tips and Precautions:
Follow these tips and precautions while using baking soda as a yeast infection treatment for safe and quick relief from yeast infection.
- Baking soda in the vagina may increase the vaginal pH levels and makes the yeast happier and grow more. So, don’t use this too often.
- Always remember to dry your skin (especially genitals) after using any of the baking soda baths.
- If you’re on a sodium restricted diet, then don’t apply these baking soda methods.
- Pregnant women and people with high blood pressure and heart problems should consult their doctor before using these baking soda remedies.
- People who take drugs or consume alcohol should not use these detox baths.
- If the infected area turns red and irritated after application of baking soda, then discontinue the process.
- Keep the yeast infected area dry and clean to avoid spreading the infection.
- Remember not to use any concentrated solution or chemical products on sensitive areas of the body such as the private parts.
- Wash the infected person’s clothes separately to prevent the infection from spreading.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins from the body.
- You can also use a baking soda enema by adding 2 teaspoons of baking soda in 2 quarts of water and warm it to 103F. Use this mix along with table salt or sea salt to get rid of the infection.
- If you didn’t find any relief from this yeast infection after trying these baking soda methods, then consult your doctor for immediate diagnosis and treatment.
Other than using these baking soda methods, you can stay healthy and yeast infection free by not wearing underwear that's too tight or dirty, reducing the usage of deodorant or perfume based tampons, birth control pills, and try to reduce your blood sugar level.
If you or someone you know has or has had candida share your experience with us down in the comments.