Candida is a common type of fungus that lives on the skin, especially in areas like the mouth, intestinal tract, throat and genitals. When this yeast starts multiplying abnormally, this is when it can lead to a yeast infection.
Vaginitis is the yeast infection in the vagina which causes redness and itching in the exterior vagina and inner thigh area. Certain conditions can trigger the infections, such as illness, stress, upset stomach and the usage of certain medications, etc.
Although most women use over the counter medicines for treating Candidiasis, there are many natural home remedies which alleviate the yeast infection and its symptoms. Baking soda is one of thenatural treatment.
Is Baking Soda good for Yeast Infection?
- It is alkaline in nature and thus changes the vagina’s acidic nature temporarily to higher alkaline in which the Candida can’t survive in.
- It balances the pH levels of the body.
- It works as a great anti – fungal agent that dehydrates and kills the fungus or yeast.
- Baking soda sucks enzymes and water content from the fungus and leaves the microorganism dehydrated.
- Baking soda discourages the further growth of microorganisms and helps to keep the skin clean as well as dry.
How to use Baking Soda for Yeast Infection:
Apart from trying out the baking soda remedies, you have to include probiotics in your daily diet to control and prevent the infection from inside. The number of bacterial strains present in probiotics, colonize your body with good bacteria and keep the bad bacteria like Candida Albicans under control.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda alters the acidic environment when it is applied and this method is very effective in treating the thrush yeast infection / oral yeast infection.
- Mix 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water until it dissolves.
- Drink this mix twice a day on an empty stomach.
- Continue drinking this water for 2 weeks and then rest for another 2 weeks.
- If you don’t get any relief after 2 weeks then you have to repeat the same process.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda and enough water to make a paste.
- Apply on the infected skin and leave for few minutes.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Repeat daily.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 250 ml of water until it dissolves.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution and apply on the affected areas.
- Note: You can use this water to wash the affected area to reduce redness, inflammation and irritation.
2. Baking Soda Bath
A baking soda bath also relieves you from the external itching and other symptoms.
- Add 1/2 – 1 cup of baking soda in your bathtub with warm water.
- Stir it well and soak yourself for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Make sure to dry your skin thoroughly with a clean cloth afterwards.
- This process is also effective in treating yeast infection in pregnant women.
- For more effective relief, add baking soda in a salt bath.
- Repeat twice a week.
3. Baking Soda with Hydrogen Peroxide
This process is very useful in treating oral yeast infection.
- Mix hydrogen peroxide (3%) in 2 tablespoons of baking soda to make a paste.
- Use this as antifungal toothpaste to brush your teeth.
- Or you can also brush your teeth with baking soda and sea salt.
4. Baking Soda with Tea Tree Oil Bath
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil and 1 cup of baking soda in a shallow sitz bath.
- Run warm water over it and stir well.
- Sit in it for a few minutes before washing off with water.
- Or you can go for a detox bath using baking soda, Epsom salt and hydrogen peroxide.
- Or simply add 1 cup of cornstarch and 1/2 cup of baking soda to your warm bath and soak yourself for a few minutes.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 4 drops of tea tree oil and enough clean water to make a fine thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the infected areas and leave for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
- Repeat once daily.
5. Baking Soda with Lemon Juice
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Mix this paste in 1 glass of water and drink.
- After 15 – 20 minutes, consume 1 – 2 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Follow this process regularly.
6. Baking Soda Douche
Sodium bicarbonate douche helps to eliminate the yeast cells.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda in 4 cups of warmwater.
- Stir it well and use this mix as a douche to clear the vaginal area.
- Or you can fill baking soda on empty gelatin capsule and insert this in a tampon which you put into your vagina.
- Make sure that both of these baking soda douching treatments are done continuously twice a week for 2 weeks.
7. Baking Soda as Toothpowder
- After eating, brush your teeth with baking soda.
- Rinse your mouth with a mix prepared from1/2 cup of warm water and 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide.
- Replace your toothbrush once you recover to prevent the infection in future.
8. Baking Soda with Maple Syrup
- Add 5 tablespoons of organic maple syrup into a pan on mild heat.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of baking soda in it until it turns gooey.
- Remove from the heat and allow the mix to cool.
- Eat this mix three times a day for 2 weeks and then twice a day for 4 weeks.
9. Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar Douche
It regulates the pH of the vagina and prevents the growth of yeast fungus.
- Firstly, douche with a mixture of organic apple cider vinegar and warm water.
- Let it sit for about 5 – 7 minutes, then douche with baking soda and water.
- Dry the area properly and wear loose underwear and clothes.
- Or you can also use a baking soda soaked tampon on the vaginal yeast infected area.
10. Baking Soda with Epsom Salt
This process is very useful in treating the yeast diaper rash in babies.
- Mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt in a warm bath.
- Stir it well and bathe your baby gently.
- You can also use colloidal oatmeal instead of Epsom salt in this process.
11. Baking Soda for Child Yeast Infection
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 cup of water.
- Stir it well and use this mix to clean the child’s buttocks.
- Dry the skin and then wear loose clothes.
- Or add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to warm bath water and soak your child’s affected area in that.
- Or mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with enough water and dab it on the cheeks, gums and tongue if your child has oral thrush.
- Or you can also apply this baking soda mix on the nipples, if you’re breastfeeding.
- Repeat the same processes regularly.
Tips and Precautions:
Follow these tips and precautions while using baking soda as a yeast infection treatment for safe and quick relief from yeast infection.
- Baking soda may increase the vaginal pH levels and makes the yeast happier and grow more. So, don’t use this too often.
- Always remember to dry your skin (especially genitals) after using any of the baking soda baths.
- If you’re on a sodium restricted diet, then don’t apply these baking soda methods.
- Pregnant women and people with high blood pressure and heart problems should consult their doctor before using these baking soda remedies.
- People who take drugs or consume alcohol should not use these detox baths.
- If the infected area turns red and irritated after application of baking soda, then discontinue the process.
- Keep the yeast infected area dry and clean to avoid spreading the infection.
- Remember not to use any concentrated solution or chemical products on sensitive areas of the body such as the private parts.
- Wash the infected person’s clothes separately to prevent the infection from spreading.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins from the body.
- You can also use a baking soda enema by adding 2 teaspoons of baking soda in 2 quarts of water and warm it to 103F. Use this mix along with table salt or sea salt to get rid of the infection.
- If you didn’t find any relief from this yeast infection after trying these baking soda methods, then consult your doctor for immediate diagnosis and treatment.
Other than using these baking soda methods, avoid wearing tight and unclean inner clothing, reduce the usage of deodorant or perfume based tampons, birth control pills, try to reduce your diabetic level, etc.
Please feel free to share your experience with us.