Acid reflux or acid indigestion is a common digestive disorder that generally occurs when the stomach acid or its content flows back into the esophagus. Usually, the LES (lower esophageal sphincter) closes as soon as the food passes through it, however if this LES is not closed properly then the acid produced in the stomach will move back up into the esophagus. It irritates the lining of esophagus which causes acid reflux.
Some symptoms include burning sensation in the chest, in the upper abdomen and behind the breast bone, trouble swallowing, nausea, heartburn, bloating, etc.
There are many home remedies to treat acid reflux effectively at home, but one of the most effective is to avoid the food and beverages that trigger the problem.
Banana for Acid Reflux:
Banana has many benefits to do with both health and beauty problems, including acid reflux. It is an alkaline fruit which helps to neutralize the acid in the stomach. Eat bananas regularly to get rid of acid reflux completely and quickly.
Here are some properties of banana that help cure acid reflux or heartburn.
- Banana acts as natural antacid that reduces the acid levels in the stomach. It also coats the stomach lining that helps to shield it from the gastric acid and its effects.
- It has rich amount of potassium that helps for better digestion and absorption of food into the stomach. Potassium is generally an alkalizing mineral which helps to reduce the overall acidity of the stomach.
- It contains a compound called Protease Inhibitors that helps to eliminate certain bacteria in the stomach.
- It helps to increase the capability of sphincter to work properly by providing the essential strength to the weak sphincter.
- It is a sulphur protein rich food which helps for better digestion.
- Banana is rich in fiber which acts as anti – acid reflux as it eliminates the harmful toxins.
- Banana has a chemical that helps to produce more of this mucus to stimulate the stomach lining for more protection of stomach from acids.
- It also has excellent source of minerals, vitamins (B6) and fiber that helps to strengthen the esophagus.
- It contains several components that help to suppress the acid secretion in the stomach and maintains proper pH level in the stomach.
How To Use Banana To Treat Acid Reflux:
Here are some effective ways to treat acid reflux slowly and completely.
- Eat banana before or after meals.
- Or Add banana to your cereal in every morning, yogurt, smoothies and salads.
- Or Eat low fat banana bread, banana muffins, banana sandwich with cinnamon, fruit bowl (exclude citrus fruits), banana cake, etc.
2. Banana with Cinnamon Powder and Sugar
- Peel a ripe banana and cut into slices.
- Sprinkle some sugar and pinch of cinnamon powder to it.
- Eat these banana pieces for better digestion regularly.
3. Banana with Oatmeal
Oatmeal is a great home remedy for acid reflux as it is a whole grain food that neutralizes the stomach’s acidity, reduces the pain and other acid reflux or heartburn symptoms. This combinational process is one of the best ways to treat acid reflux or GERD.
- Peel a ripe banana and cut into slices.
- Add them to cooked oatmeal and stir.
- Eat as a breakfast daily to cure acid reflux and constipation.
4. Banana and Avocado Smoothie
- Bananas – 3 to 4
- Avocado (skin removed) – 1/2 piece
- Cinnamon (ground) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Almond milk – 1 ½ cups
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Chia seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla paste – 1/2 teaspoon
- Bee pollen – 1 tablespoon
- Ice cubes
- Blend all ingredients on a high speed in a blender for 3 minutes.
- Drink this smoothie at least twice a week.
5. Banana with Strawberry Smoothies
- Banana – 1/2 to 1
- Strawberries – 1 cup
- Mango juice – 1/2 cup
- Yogurt (fat free) – 1/4 cup
- Blend all the ingredients together on a high speed for few minutes until it becomes smooth.
- Have this smoothie (by adding ice, as per your requirement) regularly.
6. Banana Milk Shake
Banana when combined with milk exhibits best antacid properties that helps to reduce the acid secretion in the stomach.
- Banana – 1 or 2
- Milk or soy milk
- Place banana pieces in a blender.
- Add sufficient amount of milk or soy milk.
- Blend at a high speed and then add a little honey.
- Or you can also top up this milk shake with few small chopped banana pieces.
- Drink this smoothie regularly.
Can Bananas cause Acid Reflux?
Eating unripe banana causes acid reflux because potassium in it turns into potassium nitrate which leads to acid reflux. It contains a type of indigestible carbohydrate that will promote the gut fermentation that in turn leads to acid reflux. Over ripen banana becomes more acidic and causes heartburn.
It is always advisable to eat fresh banana which is neither unripe nor over ripe. Eat 3 bananas when you have acid reflux to know whether it is increasing the problem or curing.
Tips & Precautions:
Follow these tips when using Banana for Acid Reflux treatment.
- If you’re suffering from fructose intolerance which is a form of sugar that resists proper digestion, then consult your doctor before using this banana more in diet.
- Bananas contain a lot of insoluble fiber, so if you eat them a lot, it causes abdominal pain, gas and bloating.
- It has proteins which are similar to latex that causes allergies in some people. So, consult your doctor before using these treatments.
- Make sure to get an appointment with your gastroenterologist if anything goes wrong.
Do you know any other banana methods for treating acid reflux or GERD or which worked for you? Then don’t forget to share your experience with us.