Bad Breath, medically known as Halitosis is an embarrassing condition that results from poor oral hygiene, unhealthy lifestyle habits and eating odor-producing foods such as garlic or onion. The food particles that remain in the mouth also promote bacterial growth which leads to bad breath.
Commercial mouthwashes provide only temporary relief from bad breath. But home remedies like cinnamon, lemon, and apple cider vinegar provide relief from bad breath effectively. Today’s let’s have a look at the properties and uses of cinnamon for treating bad breath.
Is Cinnamon Useful for Getting Rid of Bad Breath?
- The refreshing and fragrant aroma of cinnamon mask the smell of bad breath.
- The essential oil cinnamic aldehyde present in cinnamon has powerful anti-bacterial properties that kill off the odor-causing bacteria.
How to Use Cinnamon for Bad Breath?
Different ways of using cinnamon for treating bad breath are mentioned below. You can try any one as per your preference.
1. Cinnamon Tea
- Bring a cup of water to boil.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder or a few stick of cinnamon to it.
- Cover the cup and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink it while it’s still warm.
- You can drink 2 to 3 cups of this tea every day.
- Or you can use the tea as a mouthwash 2 times in a day – once in the morning and once at night.
Note – You can also add a few bay leaves and crushed cardamom to the tea for a refreshing flavor.
2. Cinnamon Oil
- Add 10 drops of cinnamon oil to a glass of water.
- Use this water to rinse your mouth thoroughly and spit it out.
- Repeat this process 2 times in a day to keep bad breath away.
Note – Do not swallow this mouthwash because consuming cinnamon oil is possibly unsafe.
3. Ginger and Cinnamon Tea
Gingerol, the active constituent of fresh ginger cuts out bad breath by destroying the bacteria that feed on food particles and develops the stench.
- Add few slices of fresh ginger and 2 to 3 sticks of cinnamon to a cup of boiling water.
- Let the tea simmer for 5 minutes and then cover the cup and allow it to steep for another 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink it while it is still warm.
- You can drink this tea several times in a day.
4. Lemon and Cinnamon Rinse
The strong and refreshing citrus aroma of lemons helps to freshen up the breath while its highly acidic nature prevents the growth of bacteria in the mouth.
- Add the juice of 1 lemon and a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a cup of water.
- Stir it using a spoon to mix all the ingredients.
- Use this water to rinse your mouth at least twice in a day.
Note – You can also add a pinch of salt to this rinse for more effectiveness.
5. Honey and Cinnamon Mix
Honey contains methylglyoxal, an antimicrobial compound that helps to treat bad breath by destroying the odor-causing bacteria and anaerobic microbes that live on the palate of the mouth.
- Take 2 tablespoons of honey and add a tablespoon of cinnamon to it.
- Mix it well using a spoon.
- Consume 1 teaspoon of this mixture.
- Repeat the process 2 to 3 times a day to freshen up your breath.
Note – You can also use Manuka Honey instead of regular honey for this remedy.
6. Clove and Cinnamon Tea
The potent anti-bacterial properties of cloves destroy the colony of bacteria that thrives in the acidic environment of the mouth and causes bad breath.
- Add a teaspoon each freshly ground cloves and cinnamon to a cup of boiling water.
- Simmer the water for 10 minutes, strain the tea and drink it slowly.
- You can drink this tea 2 times in a day.
7. Fennel and Cinnamon Drink
The refreshing aroma of fennel makes it an excellent mouth freshener which helps to reduce bad breath. The antimicrobial properties of fennel also help to fight off bacteria in the mouth.
- Add a tablespoon of fennel and 2 to 3 cinnamon sticks to a glass of water.
- Let it steep overnight.
- Strain the water and drink it in the next morning.
- Follow this process once daily.
8. Parsley and Cinnamon Drink
Chlorophyll present in parsley helps to fight bad breath from inside out. It cleanses the body, detoxifies the liver, and digestive system and fights off infection.
- Add a cup of freshly chopped parsley leaves in a juicer and juice it.
- Add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to it, stir well and drink the juice.
- You can drink 1 to 2 glasses of this juice per day.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar and Cinnamon Mouth Rinse
Apple Cider Vinegar balances the pH levels of the mouth which creates an unfavourable environment for the bacteria to survive.
- Stir in a tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and ground cinnamon into a glass of water.
- Use this water to rinse your mouth.
- Repeat this process after every meal to prevent bad breath.
Note – Use raw, unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar for best results.
10. Baking Soda and Cinnamon Paste
Baking soda helps to restore the pH of the mouth to a healthy alkaline state and creates an unfavorable environment for the bacteria to survive in the mouth.
- Add a teaspoon each of baking soda and ground cinnamon in a bowl.
- Add some water to it and mix well to form a paste.
- Brush your teeth with this paste.
- Repeat the process 2 times in a day.
Tips and Precautions:
- People who are allergic to cinnamon may experience runny nose, itchy eyes, insomnia, shortness of breath, upset stomach, hives and slightly swollen throat, tongue and lips after consuming cinnamon.
- Cinnamon has blood-thinning effects and can interfere with prescription blood thinners and anticoagulants.
- Consuming large amounts of cinnamon may be unsafe for pregnant and breast-feeding women.
- Having high levels of cinnamon are considered toxic.
- Brush your teeth at least 2 times in a day and floss regularly.
- Clean your tongue using a tongue scraper to decrease bacteria, fungi and dead cell build-up on the tongue.
- Drink plenty of water and swish water around your mouth to prevent dryness of the palate.
- Replace your toothbrush once in every 2-3 months.
- Opt for periodic dental checkups and cleaning sessions.
- Eat raw fruits and vegetables such as apples, carrots, berries, celery, etc to clean your teeth.
- Persistent bad breath can also be a symptom of some underlying condition such as gum disease, yeast infection, diabetes, chronic acid reflux and liver or kidney disease. So, it is better to consult the doctor to know the root problem.
So, keep your mouth refreshed and say good bye to bad breath with these effective remedies using cinnamon. Do you have a remedy for bad breath using cinnamon? Then please share it with us in the comments section below.