Those who have suffered from hemorrhoids know how painful and annoying condition it is. Hemorrhoids are characterized by enlargement and abnormal downward displacement of anal tissues or lower part of the rectum. Hemorrhoids are very common among adults above the age of 50 years.
Constipation and strain during bowel movement inflames the veins around the anus and lower rectum which lead to the formation of hemorrhoids. Although hemorrhoids is a painful condition, it is harmless in nature. It can be treated successfully with the help of natural ingredients such as coconut oil. Coconut oil contains a number of beneficial properties that help to heal the condition.
Is Coconut Oil Good for Hemorrhoids?
- The anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil make it the perfect topical and internal remedy for hemorrhoids. It soothes the inflamed veins and promotes fast healing of the infection.
- Coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acid molecules (MCFA) – healthy fats that relieve irritable bowel syndrome and indigestion which can inflame the intestinal tract and lead to hemorrhoids.
- Coconut oil also promotes better bowel movement by lubricating the rectum and relieves constipation, one of the main causes of hemorrhoids.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Hemorrhoids?
Here the best ways of using coconut oil to treat hemorrhoids. Choose any one of the home remedy for hemorrhoids among the list and try it regularly with some patience.
1. Coconut Oil
- Dip a cotton ball in virgin coconut oil.
- Apply it over the hemorrhoids and hold in on for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Reapply coconut oil to the hemorrhoids 3 to 4 times a day till it is completely healed.
2. Coconut Oil Drink
- Take 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and add it to a cup of lukewarm green tea.
- Drink it up slowly.
- You can consume up to 3 tablespoons of coconut oil in this way throughout the day to relieve constipation that causes hemorrhoids.
Note: The maximum dose of coconut oil is 3 tablespoons per day, but it is best to start with a teaspoon few times a day till it suits you.
3. Coconut Oil Suppositories
- Heat the coconut oil at around 70 degrees, so that the oil is in a semi solid state.
- Spread a line of coconut oil on a wax paper or aluminium foil about the length and thickness of a pencil.
- Wrap the wax paper or foil around the coconut oil and keep it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Take it out from the freezer, unwrap it and cut the coconut oil stick into 1 inch pieces.
- Take 1 coconut oil suppository and place it in the rectum.
- Repeat it 1 to 2 times a day.
Note – Coconut oil tends to melt quickly, so you have to work fast with the suppository.
4. Garlic and Coconut Oil Salve
Garlic has strong antibiotic effects that kill the germs causing any infection and blood pressure in the inflamed veins. It also increases blood flow to the area and reinforces the blood vessels in and around the rectum.
- Peel a 2 inch piece of garlic and crush it to make a paste.
- Add it to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix thoroughly.
- Keep this mixture in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Take it out and apply this salve to the hemorrhoids directly.
- Repeat the application 2 times a day till the hemorrhoids are completely healed.
5. Turmeric and Coconut Oil Ointment
The potent anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric help to soothe and heal the inflamed veins around the anus and inside the rectum.
- Crush an inch of fresh turmeric root and add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to it.
- Mix it well to form a thick ointment.
- Apply it to the hemorrhoids directly.
- Reapply this remedy 2 to 3 times a day.
Note: If you don’t have fresh turmeric root, then use turmeric powder instead of it.
6. Aloe Vera and Coconut Oil Balm
The anti-inflammatory and cooling properties of aloe vera gel helps to reduce inflammation, itching and irritation associated with hemorrhoids.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and scrape out the gel from inside the leaf.
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to the aloe vera gel and mix with a spoon.
- Apply this soothing balm to the hemorrhoids.
- You can repeat this remedy as many times as you want in a day.
7. Witch Hazel and Coconut Oil Soak
The potent astringent property of witch hazel shrinks the swollen veins and stops bleeding. It also disinfects the area to reduce the risk of infections and relieves itching.
- Add 10 drops of witch hazel to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix well.
- Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and apply it over the hemorrhoids.
- Leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes and then discard the cotton ball.
- Repeat this process 1 to 2 times in a day.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar and Coconut Oil Mix
Apple cider vinegar is effective in treating hemorrhoids both internally and externally. It helps to reduce the swelling, pain and irritation associated with hemorrhoids.
- Combine 1 tablespoon each of unfiltered apple cider vinegar and coconut oil in a bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball in this mixture and hold it over the inflamed area for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reapply this remedy 2 times in a day till inflammation is completely healed.
9. Lemon Juice and Coconut Oil Rub
Vitamin C and other nutrients in lemon juice help to strengthen the capillaries and blood vessel walls. It provides relief from pain and stops bleeding.
- Cut a lemon and squeeze out its juice.
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to it and mix well.
- Apply this mixture to the inflamed area.
- Repeat this remedy 3 to 4 times in a day.
Note – One might feel some tingling or burning sensation while applying lemon juice, but it won’t last very long.
10. Almond Oil and Coconut Oil Mix
Almond oil is an effective treatment for external hemorrhoids due to its emollient and deep tissue absorption properties. It moisturizes the inflamed areas and provides relief from burning as well as itching.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of almond oil and coconut oil in a bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball in this mixture and apply it on the inflamed area.
- Repeat this process several times a day for best results.
11. Olive Oil and Coconut Oil Mix
Olive oil is known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It helps to enhance the elasticity of the blood vessels which helps to relieve inflammation.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil in a bowl.
- Apply this mixture to the hemorrhoids 2 to 3 times every day.
- You can also consume this mixture on a daily basis to reduce inflammation of the rectum.
12. Tea Tree Oil and Coconut Oil Soak
Tea tree essential oil has potent anti-inflammatory effects that reduce the inflammation of capillaries and tissues of the rectum.
- Add 3 to 4 drops of tea tree oil into 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Soak a cotton ball into it and hold it over the inflamed area.
- Wait for 5 minutes and discard the cotton ball.
- Repeat this remedy 1 to 2 times in a day.
Tips and Precautions:
- It is best to opt for extra virgin and organic coconut oil for maximum benefits. Processing the oil affects its healing properties.
- The recommended daily dosage of coconut oil is up to 3 tablespoons.
- Make sure that the affected area is clean before the application of coconut oil. You can wipe the area with Witch Hazel to disinfect it.
- Maintaining hygiene is of utmost importance. Always use a clean and unused cotton ball to apply the remedy to the affected area.
- Keep a separate bottle of virgin coconut oil for your bathroom uses and a separate one for other purposes.
- An effective way to cure hemorrhoids from the root is to include coconut oil in your diet. You can use it for cooking and add it to your beverages and smoothies.
- Avoid consuming coconut oil if the hemorrhoids are caused by diarrhoea as it can aggravate the condition.
- Drink plenty of water daily to prevent hemorrhoids.
- Including fiber-rich foods such as oats, nuts, beans, etc. can help to relieve constipation and prevent the formation of hemorrhoids.
Coconut oil is a tried and tested remedy for treating hemorrhoids without any side effects. Try these remedies regularly for positive results. Don’t forget to share your suggestions and tips with us in the comments section below.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.