Coconut oil has so many uses! It is widely used in beauty products as it contains healthy fat, caprylic acid, vitamin E, lauric acid, etc. all of which promotes healthy skin, hair and nails.
Nail fungus or athletes foot is a fungal infection, a fungus can develop beneath the nail. It starts as just a small white or yellow spot, but has to be treated as soon as possible otherwise it can spread to other parts of the body or cause you to loose nails.
Note: To help this article read a little faster, we use the abbreviation (CO) for Coconut Oil throughout the article.
Why is Coconut Oil Good for Toenail Fungus?
- CO is rich in medium chain fatty acids that helps to work as natural fungicides.
- It has an anti-fungal property that helps to fight against the fungal action on the membranes.
- It contains lauric acid, which has anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Its moisturizing properties will leave you with the softest nails.
- It contains 8% caprylic acid that is very effective against fungus.
- It contains many important nutrients to strengthen your nails and cuticles to avoid further fungus.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Toenail Fungus:
Does coconut oil help toenail fungus? See for yourself and try some of the effective home remedy methods to treat nail fungus below.
1. Coconut Oil
- Take small quantity of organic, virgin CO and apply to the affected nail or foot.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and then let it dry naturally.
- Regularize this process 2 – 3 times a day till you completely get rid of the nail fungus.
- Consuming CO also works very well.
- Note: Ensure that you wash your hands between each application!
- Even when the fungus is gone, you can continue applying to strengthen the nail and add shine.
2. Warm Coconut Oil
- Make sure to wash and dry the affected area very well before starting treatment.
- Warm the CO in a bowl of warm water.
- Apply to the infected area and massage for few minutes.
- Repeat this process 3 – 6 times a day.
3. Coconut Oil with Oregano Oil Ointment
- Wash the affected area and keep the nails trimmed as close as possible.
- Take 5 parts of CO and 1 part of oregano oil and mix well.
- Apply a small amount of the mixture thoroughly on the infected nail and massage for few minutes.
- Concentrate on the areas where the nails meet skin to avoid the spread of the infection.
- If burning occurs, use less oregano oil.
- Let it dry naturally before soaking to remove the fungus.
- Repeat the process twice a day for at least 2 weeks.
- Note: Do not use undiluted oregano oil.
4. Coconut Oil Bandage
- Warm a small amount of CO to form a liquid.
- Soak a bandage in the liquid for few minutes.
- Apply this bandage to the infected areas.
- Let it dry naturally before covering with a sock or plastic bag to wear to bed.
- Replace the bandage every day and keep moist.
- Make sure that it penetrates the nail bed.
5. Coconut Oil with Oregano and Other Oils
- Take 2 tablespoons of melted CO and add 10 drops of oregano, tea tree, garlic, peppermint and clove oil. All of which have powerful anti-fungal properties.
- Mix it well and apply this on the feet or infected nail by massaging it for few minutes.
- Repeat this process 2 – 4 times a day.
6. Coconut Oil with Cinnamon Oil
Cinnamon helps to promote the blood circulation throughout the nails.
- Take 2 tablespoons of CO and mix with a few drops of cinnamon oil.
- Apply this to the infected area.
- Let it sit for few minutes to dry naturally.
- Repeat this process daily.
7. Coconut Oil with Tea Tree Oil
These oils contains anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties helps to cure nail fungus.
- Melt CO to its liquid form and leave to cool.
- Add 15 drops of tea tree oil and stir well.
- Leave in a cool place and apply this to the infected nails everyday 2 – 3 times, particularly after taking shower.
- Repeat this application daily.
8. Coconut oil with Clove Oil
- Clove oil has anti-fungal properties helps to get rid of nail fungus.
- Mix a teaspoon of melted extra virgin CO with 2 – 4 drops of clove oil.
- Apply this directly on the affected area let it sit for few minutes.
- Repeat this application regularly 2 – 3 times a day.
9. Raw Virgin Coconut Oil with Sesame
- Take small amount of sesame and add this to a teaspoon of raw CO.
- Mix it well and apply this directly on the fungus infected nail.
- Swab it gently on clean dry feet by using cotton ball, twice a day.
- Regular application yields best results.
Tips When Trying Coconut Oil for Toenail Fungus:
These tips will help you to have healthy and beautiful nails.
- Only use extra virgin CO.
- Always keep the feet dry and wear clean socks. Warm moist environments are the most favorable for the fungi to grow.
- Avoid going barefoot in the public places where the fungal infection can be easily spread.
- Trim and cleanse your nails regularly.
- Even if you do not have fungus, applying CO with give you beautiful, strong nails!
Which toenail fungus treatment with coconut oil are have you tried? Don’t forget to share your experiences with these coconut oil for nail fungus treatments with us in the comments below!
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.