Unwanted facial hair can be an embarrassing concern for women, and can sometimes even cause distress and can make women lose their confidence. There are many causes of facial hair, and the best remedies for this problem is often natural, as they will not harm your skin.
Home Remedies for Facial Hair Removal:
Home remedies can help to remove facial hair permanently. They are easy to follow, safe to use, and need only very common ingredients.
1. Indian Nettle and Turmeric:
Indian nettle as amazing healing properties, and is good for removing facial hair. It will gently penetrate the skin and thin the hair, eventually it will stop growing all together. Turmeric has anti-bacterial and anti – inflammatory properties that works effectively in treating the unwanted facial hair without any infection and pain.
- Indian nettle leaves – handful
- Fresh turmeric root – 1 to 2 inches (OR) Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Wash the leaves of the Indian Nettle and crush to make a paste.
- Grind the turmeric root into a powder, or just use the powder.
- Mix the two ingredients and apply paste to the face.
- Leave on for a couple of hours.
- Rinse it off by scrubbing gently with water.
- Alternatively leave on overnight.
- Repeat this process daily for about 4 – 6 weeks.
2. Barley Scrub for Stubborn Facial Hair Removal:
When used as scrub, Barley will remove the facial hair leaving the skin soft and glowing.
- Barley powder – 1 tablespoon
- Lime juice – 1 tablespoon
- Milk – 1 tablespoon
- Take equal quantities of barley powder, milk and lime juice.
- Mix well to make a paste and apply this paste on your face.
- Let it dry naturally.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the application for 3 – 4 times a week.
3. Oatmeal Scrub:
Oatmeal has a gentle grainy texture which makes it as a good exfoliating agent. Commercial scrubs may leave skin dry, itchy and red, whereas oatmeal is a natural scrub that contains antioxidants that help to reduce redness and also protect the skin against UV sun damage. When combined with other skin friendly ingredients like honey or lemon, it will leave your skin soft and hydrated.
- Oatmeal – 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 6 to 8 drops
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Grind oatmeal coarsely and then add lemon juice and honey.
- Stir it well and apply this on your face evenly.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Then gently rub the face in the circular motion for about 2 – 5 minutes.
- Rub against the direction of the hair growth.
- Wash it off with water and repeat this for 2 – 3 times a week.
4. Orange and Lemon Peel Mask:
Oil extracted from orange peel is generally used in the preparation of many cosmetic products that helps to cleanse the skin. Orange and lemon peel also helps to bleach the hair naturally and make hairs disappear in few days.
- Dry orange peel – 1 teaspoon
- Dry lemon peel – 1 teaspoon
- Oatmeal – 1 teaspoon
- Ground almond (almond meal) – 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Rose water – 1 teaspoon
- Take dry orange and lemon peel and grind to get a powder.
- Add almond meal and oatmeal to the powder.
- Stir it well by adding rose water and sufficient amount of olive oil to make a paste.
- Apply this to the face and leave for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Rub your finger in circular strokes for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Wash it with water and repeat it regularly for 2 – 3 times a week.
5. Wheat Bran Scrub:
Wheat bran is a nutrient rich outer layer of the wheat grain. It is not only healthy but is a great natural cosmetic product used to make various masks and scrubs. It not only removes the unwanted hair on the face but also helps to get rid of the wrinkles.
Method – 1:
- Wheat bran – 1 to 2 tablespoon
- Milk – 1 tablespoon
- Rosewater – 1 teaspoon
- Take all the ingredients and mix well to make a paste.
- Apply this grainy scrub on the face and rub it gently on your face in circular strokes.
- Keep scrubbing until the wheat bran scrub dries up completely.
- Wash with water.
- Repeat this daily for first few days and then do this for 2 – 3 times a week after this.
Method – 2:
- Wheat bran – 1 tablespoon
- Gram flour – 1 tablespoon
- Curd or fresh milk cream – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric – 1/4 teaspoon
- Stir all the ingredients well to make a paste like consistency.
- Apply this paste to your face and wait for about 20 – 25 minutes to dry completely.
- Use wet fingers to rub circular strokes on your face.
- Continue this scrub for about 3 – 5 minutes and then rinse with water.
- Follow this scrubbing process for 2 – 4 times a week.
- This process will not only helps to clear the dead skin and remove the facial hair over time but also makes your skin soft, smooth and glowing.
6. Lavender and Tea Tree Oil for Hirsutism Induced:
Many women suffer from the medical condition known as hirsutism which is generally defined as the presence of the excessive hair on the androgen. Research has suggested these essential oils have anti-androgenic activities, when applied on the skin, it will reduce the unwanted hair growth.
- Lavender oil – 1 teaspoon
- Tea tree oil – 4 to 6 drops
- Cotton ball
- Small bowl
- Take lavender oil and tea tree oil and mix it well in a small bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball in the oil mixture.
- Apply this on the facial hair and leave it on for few hours.
- Repeat this for once or twice a day up to 3 months to see the positive results.
Note: As these two oils are very strong, it is better to patch test before applying on the face. If no negative results are observed, then you can try the method or else avoid it.
7. Chickpea Flour or Gram Flour:
Chickpea flour helps to exfoliate the skin to remove all the dead skin cells and also removes the hair effectively.
Method – 1:
- Chickpea flour – 2 tablespoons
- Milk cream – 1 tablespoon
- Milk – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Facial loofah pad / soft cloth
- Lukewarm water
- Mix all ingredients well to make it like a thick paste.
- Apply this chickpea flour paste on the face and leave it for about 20 – 30 minutes or until it dries completely.
- Scrub the face using the facial loofah pad or a soft cloth dipped in lukewarm water
- Gently scrub the area to remove the paste and hair.
- Continue this process at least 3 – 4 times a week for a month.
Method – 2:
- Chickpea flour – 1 tablespoon
- Plain yogurt or rose water – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Mix all the ingredients to make paste.
- Spread the paste evenly over the face.
- Let it sit for about 20 – 25 minutes to dry completely
- Scrub the face to remove the paste and the hair.
- Repeat this process whenever you needed to remove the unwanted facial hair.
Method – 3:
- Chickpea flour – 2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Milk – enough to make paste
- Stir the ingredients well to make a thick and smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the face and allow it dry.
- Scrub the face with damp hands until the paste and hair is removed.
- Ensure that you only scrub gently to avoid irritation.
Fenugreek is a natural and medicinal herb that can help to clean unwanted hair off the body, such as on the chest or face. There are various methods to use the seeds to get rid of facial hair. One method is soaking the seeds in water overnight, and then having this in the morning. Alternatively, use the method below.
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Green gram – 2 teaspoons
- Grind the seed and gram to get a powder and stir well.
- Add enough water to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste to the face and allow to dry.
- Use a soft dry cloth to gently rub or wipe off the paste from the skin.
9. Spearmint Tea:
Spearmint tea is natural remedy that can make your hair look beautiful! It helps to lower the testosterone levels which will lead to less facial hair, it also controls the production of androgen in the bod. Not only does it help with facial hair, but it is also tasty to drink!
- Spearmint leaves – 1 bunch
- Water – 4 cups
- Colander / sieve
- Stevia or honey
- Sweet cream or milk
- Wash the spearmint leaves and heat in a saucepan with 4 cups of water, ensuring that the water does not boil.
- The longer you heat the leaves, the stronger the flavour, so remove from the heat when you feel it is ready.
- Pour the tea through a sieve into a jug and discard the leaves.
- Allow the tea to cool slightly before pouring into cups and adding you choice of flavour, such as honey, sweet cream, milk or stevia.
- Stir it well.
- Drink a cup of this tea daily to look beautiful!
10. Apricot and Honey Scrub:
Apricot contains an anti-oxidant known as Lycopene, as well as many vitamins and minerals that help to remove facial hair and make skin look beautiful!
- Dry apricots – 1/2 cup
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Lukewarm water
- Grind the apricots to get a powder and mix this with honey.
- Apply this to the face.
- Let it sit for about 5 – 10 minutes, then scrub gently with your fingers in circular strokes.
- Continue to scrub for 20 – 25 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the same process for 2 – 4 times a week.
11. Sugar Wax:
Sugar wax is a traditional wax that effectively remove unwanted hair, and is made will all natural ingredients. If the paste is removed in the same direction as the hair growth, it will lead to less irritation.
Method – 1: (Sugar Wax)
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoon
- Water – 2 tablespoons
- Heat all the ingredients in a saucepan for a few minutes until the sugar dissolves completely and the mixture turns darker in colour.
- Take off the heat and apply to the face with a spatula.
- Now place a cloth strip over the wax and smooth it with your fingers.
- Pull it off in the opposite direction of the hair growth.
- Repeat the same process as needed.
- Note: You can add 1/4th cup of honey.
12. Gelatin Peel – Off Mask:
When you apply this mask, you can feel that it is quite a mess and smelly too.Removing the smell of gelatin from the mark is simple, simply mix with any essential oil or lemon juice, however just as warming, it could be messy! Be sure to keep off the eyes and eyebrows as this will remove the hair from these places. If you accidently apply to the eyebrows, just remove with a little warm water.
- Gelatin (Unflavored) – 1 tablespoon
- Lavender essential oil – 1 to 3 drops (OR) Lime juice – few drops
- Milk – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Microwave safe bowl
- Take unflavoredgelatin, milk and any essential oil of your choice.
- Stir it well and microwave for 15 seconds, ensure not to overheat.
- Apply to the face quickly before the gelatin sets.
- Let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes until the mask has dried naturally.
- Once completely dried, peel away from the face to remove hair, blackheads and dead skin.
13. Sugar, Egg White and Corn Flour:
Sugar, corn flour and egg white is a great combinational natural peel off mask that will not only remove facial hair, but also clears the impurities from your skin!
- Egg – 1
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Corn flour – 1/2 tablespoon
- Take a bowl and separate the egg white from an egg.
- Whisk it and add sugar and corn flour, and stir well.
- Apply this to the face and wait for about 15 – 20 minutes to dry.
- Peel off the mask to remove facial hair.
- Repeat this process for 3 – 4 times a week.
Papaya has many health benefits. It has natural bleach property that helps to lighten unwanted facial hair. When mixed with turmeric powder, it will effectively remove facial hair permanently.
Method – 1:
- Take a raw papaya and extract its pulp.
- Add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and stir well.
- Apply to the face and massage gently for few minutes.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 25 minutes and then rinse with water.
- Repeat this process once a week.
- Note: You can replace turmeric with 1 tablespoon of milk
15. Green Gram Flour and Rose Water:
Green gram flour aids in the natural hair removal as it exfoliates the skin to remove the dead skin cells along with the unwanted hair. The rose water works as a natural cleanser to leave you with soft, beautiful skin.
- Green gram flour – 2 tablespoon
- Rose water – 1 ½ tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Stir ingredient well to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the face and spread evenly.
- Allow it to sit for 20 – 30 minutes and then scrub the area gently.
- Repeat this process for 3 – 4 times a week.
16. Lemon Juice and Honey:
Lemon juice and honey can help to remove fine hair from the face, it also cleanses, moisturises and exfoliates. It also lightens the facial skin with its bleaching property.
- Fresh lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Honey – 4 tablespoons
- Lukewarm water
- Wash cloth
- Stir the lemon and honey and apply this to the face.
- Wait for about 15 – 20 minutes and remove the mask with the help of a washcloth soaked in lukewarm water.
- Make sure to remove the mask gently.
- Complete this process for at least 2 – 3 times a week.
17. Lentil Face Pack:
This process is prepared from powdered red lentils (masoor dal), and works as an excellent face scrub to clear unwanted facial hair.
- Grind and sieve ½ cup of red lentils to get a fine powder.
- Take 2 tablespoons and add a sufficient amount of milk and honey.
- Allow it to stand for about 15 minutes. (Store the remaining powder in an airtight container).
- Apply to the face and wait for about 15 – 20 minutes before scrubbing off.
- Use this process 2 – 3 times a week (once a week if you have dry skin).
- Note: Sandalwood powder, rose water, dried orange peel powder and potato juice can also be used instead of red lentils.
18. Chasteberry Herbal Extract:
Chasteberry is a flowering plant that can treat many beauty problems. It also contains anti-androgenic properties which is used to cure hirsutism. This chasteberry extract balances hormones to treat the menstrual problems that are related to PCOS, and therefore will remove the unwanted hair effectively.
- The recommended daily dosage for this herbal extract is 175 mg which is standardized, it contain 0.6% agusides.
- The herb will take 2 – 5 months to work.
- Remember that this herb will affect the female hormone levels so it’s always advised to consult your naturopathic doctor to get the correct dosage as per your specific problem of facial hair removal.
- Pregnant and nursing women should not take this without consulting their doctor. It will also interfere with certain antipsychotic drugs, so people who use this should consult their healthcare provider first and use it as per their doctor’s specifications.
19. Black Cohosh Herb:
Black cohosh (also called as Actaearacemosa) is a flowering plant that is native to eastern North America. It has phytoestrogen, a plant based estrogen that effectively inhibits the unwanted hair growth in the body. It also has anti-androgenic effects that help cure the hirsutism. This herbal extract is now available in capsule, tincture or tea form.
- Dried black cohosh root – 20 gms (or 1 ½ tablespoons)
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 34 oz (or 4 ¼ cups)
- Heat black cohosh root and water on the stove and stir well.
- Bring to boil and then simmer it for about 30 minutes to get 1/3 of its original quantity.
- Remove from the heat and strain.
- Add the honey and allow to cool.
- It can be stored in the fridge for up to two days.
- Drink a cup this tea for three times a day.
- Note: Avoid this if you are suffering from liver disease, cancer or tumors.
- Do not exceed dosage as it can lead to abdominal discomforts, headaches, nausea, dizziness, etc.
20. Saw Palmetto Extract:
Saw palmetto has an anti-androgenic property that helps to prevent facial hair and will make your skin look beautiful! As well as berries, it is also available in capsule form, or can be brewed as tea (although the tea is not as effective as clearing hair as the fatty acids are not soluble). The recommended dosage of palmetto to treat hirsutism is 160 mg twice a day. This quantity is enough to remove the unwanted facial hair.
- Pregnant and nursing women have to avoid taking this extract due to its side effects on hormones.
- People who take blood thinning drugs must consult their healthcare providers or doctors to take advice before taking this palmetto herbal extract.
- Children should avoid taking this as it can cause many health problems.
Tips to Remove the Facial Hair:
Here are some extra tips to help remove facial hair.
- The more frequently some of these methods are used, the less painful they will be.
- Have proper diet to regain hormonal balances.
- Drinking lots of water will help to keep skin hydrated and healthy.
- Ensure not to over-use these processes and also take professional help to follow these processes in clearing the unwanted facial hair.
- Turmeric is an effective home remedy, but can stain the skin. Remove using warm water.
- Consult a doctor if the hair growth is accompanied by other masculine features like deepening voice, decreased breast size, increased muscle mass, etc.
- Basil and onion paste is also an effective treatment for facial hair. crush 10 basil leaves and 2 onion membranes and apply the paste on face once in a day for a month.
- Consume phytoestrogens – rich food like fennel, licorice, flaxseeds, kola and gotu which have high concentration of phytoestrogens to reduce hair growing on your face.
All these natural home remedies are very effective in removing the facial hair, while also making your hair look beautiful with smooth and soft appearance, however some of them take a while to work. Make sure to consult your doctor or dermatologist if you have any problem.
If you know any other home remedies to clear the facial hair, we would like to hear from you. Please share your experience with us.