Those of you who suffer from gas know that can be annoying and sometimes embarrassing. It can be caused by many things like spicy or oily foods, excessive intake of alcohol, bacterial and viral infections, not chewing the food properly, stress, etc.
Fennel is an aromatic herb that has licorice type flavor. Every part of the plant has many medicinal benefits, and can help deal with the gas problem.
Is Fennel good for Gas?
The following properties of fennel show how it helps many digestive type problems, including gas.
- Fennel contains anti-spasmodic, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties that helps to stimulate the production of gas in the stomach and gives quick relief from stomach problems (bloating and gas).
- It is a powerful natural carminative, meaning it helps to eliminate the gas from your intestinal tract and aids for better digestion.
- These seeds are rich in minerals like iron, manganese, potassium, selenium, vitamins C, E and B, magnesium, anethole, fenchone, estragole, etc. which aids a smooth functioning of intestinal tract by relaxing the contracted intestinal muscles.
- It has excellent sources of antioxidants which helps to protect the body from free radicals and ease in better digestion, increasing free movement in the small intestines.
How To Use Fennel Seeds for Gas:
You can use any of these home methods to treat your stomach gas and bloating.
1. Fennel Seeds
- Pour 1/2 teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds in a cup of boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Drink this solution whenever you feel the gas.
- OR Chew a spoonful of fennel seeds after taking your meals.
- Store these seeds in small bowls or in pill cases.
- Chew this whenever you suffer from the stomach gas and indigestion. This also helps to freshen the breath.
- Use fresh fennel leaves in strews, salads and casseroles.
- Or take a fresh stalk (size of a postage stamp) of fennel and chew it after your meals.
- Or eat fennel candies and pills.
3. Fennel with Mint and Cardamom Leaves
- Boil fresh fennel, mint and cardamom leaves for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the concoction and drink.
- Or simply chew fresh fennel leaves for better digestion.
4. Fennel Seeds with Cardamom Pods and Ginger
- Mix a few cardamom pods, a teaspoon of fennel seeds and a small slice of fresh ginger in a cup of boiling water.
- Stir well and steep it for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Drink this warm tea 3 times a day to get relief from gas.
5. Fennel with Anise Seeds, Ginger Root and Spearmint Leaves
- Boil a quart of water then add a teaspoon of fennel (any part of plant), anise seeds and ginger root.
- Simmer for 5 – 7 minutes in a covered pot.
- Turn off the heat and add spearmint leaves.
- Steep it for about 15 minutes and then enjoy a cup or more based on the problem.
6. Fennel Tea
Fennel tea contains volatile oils that aid digestion by increasing the production of gastric juice. This tea is safe for everyone.
- Boil water in a tea pan for a few minutes.
- Add a few crushed fennel seeds and tea leaves.
- Continue boiling it for another few minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of milk and jaggery syrup.
- Boil for a little longer before straining.
- Drink this tea to get instant relief.
Fennel Tea for Infant’s Gas:
- Pour 2 cups of water into a pan.
- Add a tablespoon of fennel seeds and allow it to boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover and set aside.
- When cooled, strain the tea to remove the seeds.
- Use a dropper to give your baby approximately 1/2 teaspoon for every 30 minutes until the discomfort subsides.
- This can be stored for up to a day.
- Or you can give tea that has boiled with ½ teaspoon each of anise seeds, fennel seeds and dill seeds in 10 oz of water by steeping it for 10 minutes.
- Mother or baby can drink this tea 2 – 3 times a day but the quantity will be changed.
Fennel Seeds for Gas and Bloating:
High volatile oil in fennel treats gas and bloating by stimulating the production of gastric juices. Try any of these methods whenever you suffer from the gas and bloating problems to get quick relief from it.
1. Fennel with Cardamom
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of both fennel powder and cardamom powder in a cup of warm water.
- Take this before meals to prevent the gas and bloating.
2. Fennel Seeds with Black Pepper, Black Salt, Cumin Seeds and Dried Ginger
- Take 25 grams of black pepper and 50 grams each of dried ginger, fennel seeds, black salt and cumin seeds.
- Grind or chop all these ingredients and mix well.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon mixed with warm water every 4 – 5 hours.
3. Fennel with Cumin and Coriander
- Mix equal amounts of cumin, fennel and coriander.
- Take 1/4 teaspoon before meals.
- Regular intake of this will help with the gas and bloating.
4. Fennel Seeds with Oranges
- Add a tablespoon each of orange peel and fennel seeds to 2 cups of water.
- Boil for few minutes.
- Steep the tea and add honey to sweeten.
- Drink this whenever you suffer from stomach problems.
- You can refrigerate the tea for about 48 hours.
5. Fennel Seeds with Cardamom, Mint Leaves and Ginger
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds, 6 cardamoms, 3 mint leaves and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to water and mix well.
- Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Drink half to one cup of this solution 3 – 4 times a day until you get complete relief.
Precautions and Tips to be Followed to use Fennel Seeds for Gas:
Follow these tips to get fast relief from the stomach gas and other stomach related problems.
- Always chew the green fennel seeds that taste like licorice as it helps for better digestion rather than yellowish seeds.
- Fennel seeds are not recommended for pregnant and breast-feeding women. People that are allergic to mugwort, celery, carrots, etc. are likely to be allergic to this.
- It has some effects when taking it with other drugs like ibuprofen, naproxen, tetracycline, amoxapine etc
- It will raise your risk of skin sensitivity to sunlight.
- If you have breast cancer do not use fennel.
- Also follow these methods occasionally to prevent the problem in future.
Don’t forgot to share your experience with us after trying these methods! Also, if you’re interested in other home remedies for stomach gas– check out our post on Apple Cider Vinegar for gas!