Tried many fad diets, instant weight loss programs and slimming therapies and not satisfied with the results? It’s time to rethink everything you once held true about weight loss.
A reliable weight loss regimen should have 2 qualities – nutritional diet + burn calories. When it comes to burning calories, you know the drill – exercising, brisk walking or yoga. Well, here we will talk about Garlic – A natural antibiotic and latest nutrient in the battle of weight loss.
Garlic for Weight Loss – What’s so Beneficial About it?
Garlic has a very long history in treating many health ailments, yet researches have concluded that it has a vast impact on weight loss as well. Its health benefits are mentioned in Bible, Talmud, Chinese, and Egyptian Medicine and Ayurveda. Here’s how it works…
- Garlic stimulates the satiety hormone which reduces binge eating, sugar cravings, junk food, and oily stuff.
- It releases the norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter which boosts metabolism.
- The allicin present in it lowers blood pressure, cholesterol and insulin levels.
- Garlic inhibits the process breaking down stored fats.
- It is a powerful detoxifier and effective diuretic.
- It contains trace minerals (sulfur, selenium, magnesium, zinc, copper and iron), amino acids and vitamins A, C, and E.
- It helps to dissolve blood clots that lead to heart stroke.
- It has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
- It helps to remove excess mucus from the body.
How to Include Garlic in Your Weight Loss Routine….?
1) Garlic Cloves
- Crush 2 cloves of garlic.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes. Because when raw garlic interacts with oxygen to produce allcin.
- Use it to season foods, sauce, soups and salad vinaigrettes.
- Alternatively, you can chew 2 garlic cloves on an empty stomach or before going to bed. Remember to brush your teeth to reduce garlic smell.
2) Garlic Juice
- Puree the garlic cloves in a blender.
- Strain the mixture to the collect the juice.
- Drink 1 teaspoon garlic juice followed by a glass of lukewarm water.
- For added taste, mix 1 teaspoon honey to the garlic juice.
3) Garlic with Lemon
- Squeeze juice of 1 lemon in a cup of water.
- Chew 3 garlic cloves followed by the lemon water.
- Or add crush the garlic cloves, stir in the lemon water and drink.
- Repeat the process every morning.
4) Garlic with Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar
- Combine 1 teaspoon each of garlic juice, honey and apple cider vinegar.
- Consume it daily before breakfast.
- Stir in the mixture in a glass of water and drink it.
- For added benefit, include a pinch of cayenne pepper and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Combine 1 cup each of garlic juice, ginger juice, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice.
- Simmer the mixture in low heat until it reduced to 3 cups.
- Remove from the flame and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Add 1 cup honey and store in an airtight container.
- Drink 1 tablespoons of the mixture daily before breakfast.
5) Garlic with Milk
- Crush 2 garlic cloves and stir in a cup of raw milk.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and consume it daily on an empty stomach.
- Crush 3 garlic cloves and stir in a glass of milk.
- Bring this mixture to boil until the quantity reduces to half.
- Let it cool down to room temperature and drink.
- For added benefits, stir in 1 teaspoon honey or a pinch of black pepper.
6) Garlic with Ginger
- Grate 4 chunks of ginger root and mince 4 cloves of garlic.
- To 500 ml of boiling water add ginger and garlic.
- Allow it to steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain and drink it.
- For extra benefits, you can add juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- If you are on alkalizing diet, add 1/2 teaspoon honey.
- Repeat daily.
Process 2: With Aloe Vera
- Scoop out the gel from aloe vera leaf.
- Peel the ginger and garlic.
- In a blender, add 3 cloves of garlic and 2 inches of ginger root, juice of half lemon and aloe vera gel and blend till smooth.
- Add 1 tablespoon honey and blend again for 30 seconds.
- Pour the mixture in an air tight container and refrigerate.
- Consume 3 tablespoons of the mixture 3 times daily.
Process 3: With Cinnamon
- Grate 1 inch fresh ginger and mince 1 clove of garlic.
- In a cup of boiled water, add garlic, ginger, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 green tea bag.
- Allow it to steep for 15 minutes.
- Stir in 2 teaspoon raw honey and drink it.
- Repeat daily.
7) Garlic with Carom Seeds
- Blend 1 teaspoon carom seeds and 2 cloves of garlic.
- Consume this mixture followed by a glass of lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2 times a daily.
8) Garlic as Salad Dressing
Listed are few different versions of salad dressing with garlic.
- Combine 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, a pinch of black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder and 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar.
- Stir in the mixture in a cup of vegetables or beans or cooked meat.
- Alternately, you can just mix 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of black pepper and use the mixture as dressing.
Experiment with different ingredients and customize according to your taste…
9) Smoothie with Garlic
Instead of store brought dips, replace it with this recipe.
- In a blender, add 6 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon sea salt, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup vegetable oil.
- Blend the smoothie until it reaches a texture similar to mayonnaise.
10) Garlic with Cucumber
- In a blender, add 4 garlic cloves, 3 leaves lettuce, 1/2 celery stalk, 3 pepper corns, 2 steamed asparagus, half cucumber, 1 teaspoon flax seeds.
- Blend for 4 minutes and drink it.
- Repeat daily.
11) Garlic Bread
- Grind few garlic cloves, stir in the bread batter and bake.
- Alternately, slice garlic cloves and rub the inside of it on bread.
12) Garlic Tea
- Crush 2 cloves of garlic and add to a cup of boiled water.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes, strain it and let it steep cool down to room temperature.
- Add 1 teaspoon honey, stir and consume.
- For extra benefits, add 2 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Drink regularly.
13) Garlic with Red Wine
- Mince 12 garlic cloves and stir them in jar of 1/2 liter of red wine.
- Close the jar and place it where it can get direct sunlight.
- Don’t disturb the jar for 2 weeks.
- Consume 1 teaspoon of the mixture 3 times a day.
- Make a new batch of mixture after 6 months gap.
14) Garlic Powder
- Mix 1 teaspoon of garlic powder in a glass of water or lemon water and consume it.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder and honey. Lick the mixture followed by a glass of water.
Tips, Warning and Precautions
- Don’t consume more than 4 raw garlic cloves a day.
- Patients with heart problems, pregnant and lactating women should consult doctor before trying garlic.
- Possible side effects of consuming raw garlic – heartburn, flatulence, lower blood pressure and upset stomach. Stop taking garlic if you observe any of them.
- Avoid garlic intake before any surgery as it can disturb anti-coagulants.
- Asthma patients should avoid intake of garlic.
- If you have cuts or undergone surgery recently, avoid garlic as it prolongs bleeding.
- Avoid junk food, fried and oily food.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Consume fresh fruit juices and vegetables.
- Avoid binge eating, smoking and alcohol.
A perfect weight loss regiment is incomplete without physical exercising. So brisk walk for 15 minutes or do yoga regularly to burn more calories.
Did you find this article helpful? You can also check out this article to find out about other great DIY home remedies for weight loss. If you have any queries, write to us in the comments section below.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.