Though hair acts as insulation to our body, many women across the world consider it as a cosmetic problem. Hormonal imbalance, irregular menstrual cycle, certain medications, and pregnancy are some of the reasons for abnormal hair growth on different areas of the body. Abnormal hair growth is medically known as hirsutism.
There are many modern techniques of removing unwanted hair on the body which includes both temporary and permanent. Permanent hair removal techniques like laser hair removal and electrolysis are costly and possess side effects.
Temporary hair removal techniques are waxing, shaving and threading. Though these methods less expensive, they have side effects like pain, ingrown hairs, and skin rashes.
There are simple home remedies as well which are less painful and cost effective than modern hair removal techniques.
Of all those home remedies, sugar is considered one of the effective ingredients for hair removal. Sugaring or sugar waxing is known to be used for hair removal since Egyptian times. As per data online, the famous beauty diva Cleopatra had used sugar for removing unwanted hair on the body.
Benefits of Sugar for Hair Removal
- When applied, the sugar syrup or gel sticks to the hair unlike in the waxing where the wax sticks to the skin.
- While peeling off, the sugar application removes the hair from the roots.
- It is less painful than waxing done in spas and parlors.
- As the application is very gentle, you can apply multiple times to remove the missed hair.
- Over time, frequent application of sugar causes damage to the hair follicle and stops hair growth.
- The sugaring process doesn’t leave behind any residue and very to clean up after removing hair.
- It doesn’t contain harmful chemicals and resins.
How to Use Sugar for Hair Removal?
We have provided a detailed description of various methods which makes it easy for you to follow them. Choose any method among them and try it regularly to remove unwanted hair.
1) Sugar – Lemon
Sugar when mixed with lemon juice and water will help to remove unwanted hair and exfoliate the skin to remove accumulated dead skin. Lemon juice naturally bleaches the skin and remaining fine hair.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of sugar and 10 tablespoons of water in a small bowl.
- Once the sugar melts, add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice into it and stir well.
- Clean the area you want to remove the hair and pat dry.
- Apply the solution on the area and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Now wet your finger and gently scrub off the mixture.
- Rinse off with water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process 2 – 3 times a week.
Note: It is not advisable to follow this process on sensitive parts of the body. This process works well for facial hair than the hair on other parts of the body.
2) Sugaring with Lemon Juice
This process of sugaring works in removing hair just like the waxing done in spas and beauty parlors. As it contains non-toxic ingredients, it is also suitable for sensitive skin. The results of this process are much longer than shaving. This process doesn’t require any cloth strips like waxing.
- In a saucepan (preferably non-stick), add 2 cups of sugar, 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 1/8 cup of water.
- Turn the heat on, place the saucepan on heat and bring the mixture to boil.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, the temperature quickly rises so it is very to stay there without leaving it unattended.
- Using a candy meter, measure the temperature.
- Once the temperature reaches 240 degrees, remove from the flame and pour into a glass container.
- Let the mixture cool down to room temperature.
- Clean the area you want to apply the mixture and pat dry.
- Apply talcum or baby powder on the area you want to sugar.
- Scoop out the mixture and spread it in the direction of the hair.
- After few minutes, remove it in the opposite direction of the hair.
- Wipe the area with a wet cloth and pat dry.
- Repeat the process as required.
- If you don’t have a candy meter, you can remove the mixture from the flame once it turns its color to brown or golden.
- If you want to mixture to stay smooth for a longer period, stir in guar gum into the mixture as soon as you remove it from the flame.
- If the mixture had turned too hard to apply, add few drops of water and reheat it to achieve the enough smooth consistency.
- This process can be used to remove hair on legs, underarms, face, hands, back and bikini area.
3) Waxing with Sugar, Lemon and Honey
This process provides a mixture that is used as regular wax in the parlors. It is very effective in removing fine to thick hair on legs, hands, underarms and other parts of the body. Just like waxing, this process used cloth or wax strips to remove the application. If you have sensitive skin, then avoid this process as it can be equally painful as waxing performed in spas.
- To a saucepan, add 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon each of honey and lemon juice.
- Heat the solution for 3 minutes until you achieve a free and smooth flowing paste.
- Note: If the solution is too thick, add water and mix well.
- Remove from the heat and allow the solution to cool down to room temperature.
- Clean the area where you want to remove the hair and pat dry.
- Dust the area with cornstarch or all-purpose flour.
- Using a spatula spread a generous amount of the solution in the direction of hair growth.
- Cover it with a cloth or wax strip and press it against the application.
- Pull the strip in the opposite direction of hair growth.
- Wipe the area with wet cloth and pat dry.
- Repeat the process whenever required.
4) Sugar with Molasses
The magnesium present in molasses provides slow and steady effect in removing the unwanted hair. When sugar is mixed with corn syrup or molasses it becomes a depilatory wax. You can use this process to remove hair from hands and legs. This process is painful just like waxing.
- Into a microwave safe bowl, add 1 cup of sugar and drizzle molasses or dark corn syrup.
- Microwave the bowl for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now, add juice of a freshly squeezed half lemon.
- Stir well and allow the mixture to cool down to room temperature.
- Apply the mixture on the area where you want to remove the unwanted hair.
- Now place the waxing strip on it and press well.
- Pull off the strip against the direction the hair growth.
- Wipe off with wet cloth.
- Repeat the process whenever required.
5) Sugar with Egg White
Egg white sticks to the skin just like sugar. Once it dries, it is very easy to pull it off from the skin. It removes the hair right from its root. You may experience a sharp pain just like waxing while removing the application of egg white. This process works well in removing facial hair.
- Separate egg white from 1 egg.
- Add 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of corn flour into it and stir well.
- Spread the application on face and let it dry for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Now firmly peel off the egg mask.
- Repeat the process 2 – 3 times a week to completely remove the facial hair.
6) Sugar and Honey
This process is very easy to prepare and effective in removing hair on face, hands and legs.
- Combine 2 teaspoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon each of honey and water.
- Heat the mixture using a microwave or stove for 1/2 minute.
- Allow the mixture to cool down to room temperature.
- Using a spatula spread the solution on the area where you want to remove the hair.
- Place a cloth or wax strip and press it gently.
- Pull the strip off in the opposite direction of hair growth.
- Repeat the process whenever needed.
7) Sugar and Chamomile Tea
This process is effective in removing hair on upper lip or facial hair.
- Steep 1/4 cup of tea using 4 chamomile tea bags.
- Add 2 cups of sugar into the tea and bring the mixture to boil.
- Once it the boils starts, remove it from the flame and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Using a spatula or Popsicle, spread the solution on the face.
- Using a wax or cloth strip, pull off the application in the opposite direction of the hair growth.
- Repeat the process whenever required.
- For more effectiveness, you can add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into the solution.
Tips and Precautions:
- Steam the area you want to remove hair before trying any above methods. Steaming opens the pores which make the sugaring more effective.
- White sugar works better than brown sugar.
- Patch test before trying out regular treatments.
- If any process is leaving a dry skin then apply any moisturizer of your choice. Coconut oil, shea butter or cocoa butter can be considered.
- Consume foods rich in phytoestrogens which include soy items, flaxseeds, fennel seeds, alfalfa, licorice and gotu kala.
What is your favorite hair removal method? Share your answer and experience of using sugar for hair removal in the comments section below.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.