Nausea is an unpleasant feeling in the upper stomach which often makes you feel like you need to vomit. It is a vague symptom of lots of different illnesses, morning sickness, migraines, dehydration, upset stomach, motion sickness, food poisoning, certain medications, over eating, chemotherapy and morning sickness.
Nausea is generally a sign that something is wrong in the body. It can be a natural reaction caused by bad eating habits or food that body wants to get rid of. Some accompanying symptoms include feeling dizzy, vomiting, sweating, feeling extremely hot, etc.
You can easily treat nausea with simple home remedies and honey is one of the best. It is a natural sweetener that is enriched with many essential nutrients, pure glucose and levulose which aids for proper digestion.
Is Honey good for Nausea?
- Honey has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties and other enzymes that produce small amounts of hydrogen peroxide which in turn relieves you from indigestion.
- It contains the enzymes diastase, invertase, catalase, peroxidase, glucose oxidase, acid phosphatase and inulase which aid in proper digestion and assimilation.
- It contains potassium which eases the nausea and coats the esophageal and stomach lining to neutralize the acids.
- Regular intake of honey will tone the stomach muscles and aids in proper digestion. It also stabilizes the hydrochloric acid content in the stomach.
How to use Honey for Nausea:
- Consume 1 teaspoon of raw, organic honey.
- Repeat 2 – 3 times a day.
- You can also use manuka honey instead of normal honey. Add 1 teaspoon of active manuka honey on a piece of bread. Consume before every meal and also 20 minutes before going to sleep.
- Or add 1 tablespoon of honey in 1 glass of warm water and consume this daily.
2. Honey with Ginger
Ginger is considered one of the best remedies for treating nausea (especially during pregnancy or after chemotherapy), as it neutralizes the stomach acids and soothes an irritated stomach.
Process – 1: (Honey with Ginger Juice)
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of fresh ginger juice and honey.
- Stir well and consume whenever needed.
- Or add 7 – 10 drops of raw ginger juice in 1 teaspoon of honey and consume this in the morning on an empty stomach.
Process – 2: (Honey with Grated Ginger)
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of freshly grated ginger and honey and consume.
- If this mix is too strong, suck out the juice and spit out the remaining fiber.
- Regular intake will help prevent nausea.
Process – 3: (Honey with Ground Ginger)
Use ginger powder if fresh ginger is not available.
- Mix 1 spoonful of ground ginger in 2 – 3 teaspoons of raw honey.
- Consume directly or apply this mix on toast.
- Include this mix in your daily diet.
Process – 4: (Honey in Ginger Tea)
- Mix 1/4 cup of sliced ginger root in 6 cups of water and place on the stove.
- Boil the mix before covering.
- Allow it simmer for about 20 minutes and then add 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Stir it well and drink.
- You can also add honey in other teas like peppermint tea, fennel tea, rosemary tea etc.
3. Honey with Lemon Juice
Inhaling the smell of lemon will reduce the nauseated feeling. The citric acid and vitamin C neutralizes the stomach acids to treat nausea.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of fresh lemon and organic honey.
- Consume after inhaling the lemony smell.
- Or add honey – lemon mix in 1 cup of water and drink.
- Or add 2 tablespoons of honey in 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice and ginger (or mint) juice and consume. Or add this to 8 oz of warm water and drink.
- Consume regularly.
4. Honey Ayurvedic Herbal Powder Mix
This Ayurvedic herbal nausea remedy is very effective. Be sure to take equal quantities of all these ingredients for quick relief.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of Indian gooseberry powder, cumin seeds powder, cloves powder, black pepper powder and powdered crystal sugar.
- Place in an air tight container and refrigerate.
- Add 1 teaspoon of this mix in 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Consume when needed.
5. Honey Herbal Juice
This is another Ayurvedic remedy for treating nausea. In this process, ginger, lemon, mint and honey prevents recurring nausea.
- Finely crush a 1 inch piece of fresh ginger root and 10 – 15 mint leaves to make a paste.
- Press this paste on sieve to extract its juice.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon each of fresh lemon juice and raw honey.
- Consume twice a day.
6. Honey with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar balances the pH levels of the body.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of raw apple cider vinegar and organic honey in 1 glass of water.
- Drink the solution twice a day.
- You can also use manuka honey instead of normal honey.
7. Honey with Cinnamon
Cinnamon has catechins that relieve nausea. It has soothing property that cures stomach irritation and treats nausea caused by indigestion, gastric or acid reflux problems.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder or cinnamon stick in 1 cup of water.
- Let it boil for about 10 – 15 minutes and strain before adding a tablespoon of honey.
- Drink slowly.
- Or add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1 tablespoon of organic honey in 1 glass of warm water. Stir it well and drink this thrice a day.
- Alternately, add 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon with 1 teaspoon of honey and consume.
- Drink regularly, however pregnant or nursing women should not drink this.
8. Honey with Clove
Clove has aromatic and soothing properties that reduce nausea and its symptoms. It works well for treating morning sickness. Both honey and cloves have antibacterial properties.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of clove powder to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for about 5 – 8 minutes, strain, and add 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Drink regularly.
- You can also dry a roast few cloves and powder them. Add 1 teaspoon of honey to make a paste and lick this mix slowly.
9. Honey with Curry Leaves
This combination is an effective treatment for morning sickness. It calms the intestinal tract and thus prevents abdominal contractions causing nausea.
- Extract the juice from 15 – 20 crushed leaves in a sieve.
- Add 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of organic honey.
- Stir it well and drink this mix.
- For best results, follow this process for 2 – 3 times daily.
10. Honey with Onion Juice
Both honey and onion have antibacterial properties that removes the bacteria and other microbes in the stomach.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 2 – 3 teaspoons of onion juice and consume.
- Or mix 1 teaspoon each of onion and ginger juice with raw honey and drink.
- Regularize this consumption.
11. Honey in Rice Water
Rice water alleviates the nausea caused by gastritis. Have this drink immediately when you’re suffering with nausea.
- Place rice in 1 cup of water and boil for 10 – 15 minutes then strain.
- Add honey to this water and stir it well.
- Drink this water regularly.
12. Honey with Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds improves digestion and honey calms the stomach lining.
- Crush 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds into a fine powder.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and stir well.
- Consume this mix three times a day.
- Avoid drinking more than 6 times a day.
13. Honey with Peppermint and Lemon Balm
This combinational process soothes the upset stomach and clears nausea, but make sure to take small doses of this mix frequently.
- Mix 2 cups of raw honey, 1/2 cup each of dried lemon balm and dried peppermint in a saucepan on the heat.
- Mix on a low temperature to melt the honey.
- Let it cool for 2 – 3 hours.
- Strain the mix through a strainer into a glass jar and mash the herbs with a spoon to help the honey get through.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of this mix or add to teas, toast or any food.
- Continue doing this regularly.
14. Honey Smoothie
Banana and honey contains potassium, coconut water has electrolytes that prevent dehydration, almonds have proteins which promote balance in the blood sugar levels and oatmeal has nutrients that neutralize acidity in body to prevent the feeling of nausea.
- Chop frozen banana into small pieces and place in a blender.
- Add 1/2 cup each of cooked oatmeal and coconut water, 1 – 2 tablespoons of almond butter, 1 inch peeled ginger root and a dash of sea salt.
- Blend it thoroughly and add 2 tablespoons of raw honey.
- Drink this smoothie slowly.
- Follow this process regularly.
15. Honey with Cardamom
Cardamom eases the digestion and cures the nausea.
- Bake 1 gram of cardamom in an iron plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw honey and stir.
- Consume daily.
16. Honey with Orange Juice
- Add 25 grams of orange juice in 2 tablespoons of pure honey.
- Stir it well and consume this mix 4 times a day on daily basis.
Tips and Precautions:
Here are some tips and precautions that help in getting quick and effective results.
- Use only raw honey which is unprocessed, organic and unpasteurized.
- You can also add honey in pomegranate juice and consume this drink.
- Eating raw honey might cause food poisoning in certain people because it is a potential source of botulism spores.
- Avoid giving honey to babies under 1 year.
- Be sure to know the content of pollen in the honey.
- Grayanotoxins are chemicals found in honey which is made from different kinds of flowers, that can make a toxic reaction to your nervous system. They can prevent the nerve cells from functioning properly, gets control over your brain and body and might lead to heart problems. So, be sure to check that your honey is good and organic that is made in proper farms.
- Make sure to consult your doctor for immediate treatment, if you didn’t find any relief.
- Other than these honey methods, stay hydrated, lead a stress free and healthy life, avoid over eating, follow proper lifestyle and diet, and do yoga or meditation.
This is all about Honey for Nausea. Let me know which remedy works well for treating your nausea. Share your experience with us.
Image – Mebo at Flickr