Hyperthyroidism or overactive thyroid is defined as a condition in which the thyroid gland will produce too much of thyroxine hormone. It accelerates the energy and metabolism of the body very significantly, by causing sudden weight loss, sweating, rapid or irregular heartbeat (heart palpitations), nervousness or irritability. Don’t get worried about it, as there are several treatment options that are available for treating this hyperthyroidism.
Doctors generally recommend anti – thyroid medication along with radioactive iodine to slow down the production of thyroid hormones. Or in certain cases, it involves surgery to remove all or that part of the thyroid gland. But be sure that this hyperthyroidism will become a serious problem, if you ignore it without getting the treatment on time.
It causes some wide variety of signs and symptoms that includes increased appetite, sudden weight loss (although you appetite and the amount or type of food you eat remains same or increases), increased appetite, rapid heartbeat (more than 100 beats a minute), heart palpitations, nervousness, anxiety and irritability, sweating, tremor, increased sensitivity to heat, changes in menstrual patterns, enlargement of thyroid gland (goiter) that appears as swelling at the base of neck, changes in bowel patterns (having more frequent bowel movements), skin thinning, difficulty in sleeping, fine and brittle hair, etc.
We all know that the gland which is present in front of the neck is called thyroid gland which has the main function of regulating the body metabolism by secreting the hormones T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (thyroxine). This thyroid has some effects on the bones, muscles, heart and cholesterol. This hyperthyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid glands becomes overactive and thus begins to secret more amounts of T3 and T4 in the body.
This hyperthyroidism is generally caused by different reasons like due to Graves’ diseases (an autoimmune disorder that itself attacks the overactive thyroid gland), excessive intake of iodine, swollen thyroid (goiter), thyroiditis, abnormal secretion of thyroid stimulating hormones (TSH), malfunctioning of immune system, thyroid nodules (small growth in thyroid gland). If you left untreated, then it causes heart and bone problems and in certain cases, it leads to thyroid storm or thyrotoxic crisis.
Anyone can suffer from this hyperthyroidism but this condition occurs nearly 8 times more often in women than in men. This thyroid problem generally develops in the early 30’s but its symptoms are common in women over 60’s. Even though there are many signs of this hyperthyroidism but it is a bit difficult to diagnose the problem quickly but it would be easier to cure and get control with certain medications, supplements, natural remedies and some lifestyle changes.
Home Remedies for Hyperthyroidism:
Follow these natural home remedies which are safe and effective in treating the hyperthyroidism.
Bugleweed or Lycopusvirginica is an effective remedy for treating the hyperthyroidism. This remedy is used especially in the case whenever you’re experiencing the symptoms like palpitations, weight loss, shortness of breath, anxiety and shaking along with the problem. It works well to reduce the amount of hormone that is produced by the thyroid. Bugleweed has lithospermic acid that decreases the levels of certain hormones in which thyroid hormone thyroxine (T3) is also included in it.
The presence of this acid also helps to prevent the antibodies from binding into the cells in the overactive thyroid gland and this also prevents its burning out. Several researches have done and found that it helps to reduce TSH and T4 levels and impairs the synthesis of thyroid hormone synthesis. It inhibits the production of excess thyroid hormone by restricting the thyroid stimulating anti – bodies in Graves’ disease. This bugleweed is capable to block or slow down the conversion of T4 to T3. For treating this hyperthyroidism, you have to use this bugleweed in the form of tea and tincture, in which the recipes are explained below in detail.
Method – 1: (Bugleweed Tea)
- Dried bugleweed herb – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (OR) bugleweed tea bag – 1
- Hot or boiling water – 1 cup
- Honey – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Take a cup and place either the dried bugleweed herb or tea bag in it.
- Then pour hot water over it and cover it.
- Allow it to steep for about 8 – 12 minutes.
- Now strain the tea into another cup.
- Let it sit for few minutes to get cool down.
- Add honey to it and have this by stirring it well.
- Continue drinking this tea for once daily until you cured the hyperthyroidism completely.
Method – 2: (Bugleweed Tincture)
- Bugleweed tincture – 4 to 8 drops
- Fruit juice or water – 1 teaspoon
- Take a small bowl and pour water or fruit juice in it.
- Then add bugleweed tincture drops to it.
- Stir it well and place this mixture under the tongue.
- Do this process for thrice a day on daily basis to get relief from the hyperthyroidism.
- However, you have to be patient while following this process, as it takes around a year or two to cure the hyperthyroidism but remember that you may begin to feel better within few days after using this remedy continuously.
- Pregnant and nursing women should not use this herb as it causes some side effect.
- Avoid taking this herb, if you’re using or taking some thyroid medicines or on treatments.
2. Lemon Balm:
Lemon balm is also same like bugleweed, as both belong to mint family. This balm is very effective in curing various problems like migraine headaches, nervousness, hyperthyroidism and hypertension. It blocks the hormone receptors which stimulate the thyroid and this will inhibit the TSH binding to thyroid tissues. This also inhibits the binding of the auto – antibodies in Graves’ disease.
You can use this lemon balm in tea or tincture form to cure the hyperthyroidism. This is also available in capsule form but make sure to consult the medical herbalist to know the proper dose before using this balm in capsule or any other supplement form. Here is the recipe on how to prepare the lemon balm tea for treating the hyperthyroidism.
- Lemon balm herb – 2 tablespoons
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Sieve or strainer
- Take a pot and place this lemon balm herb in it.
- Then pour hot water over this herb into that pot.
- Allow it to steep for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Now strain the tea and leave it for few minutes to get cool.
- Have this lemon balm tea to get rid of the problem.
- Regularize the intake of this tea for 1 – 2 times a day on daily basis until you get rid of the hyperthyroidism.
Motherwort is another herb that belongs to mint family, is very good at treating the hyperthyroidism. This herb doesn’t work directly on the thyroid gland or the hormones but it helps to bring balance by alleviating the symptoms which are related to hyperactive thyroid like anxiety, heart palpitations, sleeplessness, depressed appetite, etc. This herb also acts as a natural beta blocker that helps to prevent the conditions like high heart rate and palpitations. You can use this motherwort in the form of tea or tincture to get relief from the problem.
Method – 1: (Motherwort Tea)
- Motherwort – 1 tablespoon
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Tea pot
- Take a tea pot and place this motherwort herb in it.
- Then pour boiling water over this herb in that pot.
- Cover it and allow it to steep for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Strain the tea into cup and let it cool down for few minutes.
- Now have this tea to get relief from the problem.
- Do this process of drinking motherwort tea for once or twice daily until you completely relieved from the hyperthyroidism.
Method – 2: (Motherwort Tincture)
- Motherwort tincture – 10 to 20 drops
- Take a small bowl and place this tincture in it.
- Then add a little of water to this tincture.
- Stir it well and have this mixture to cure the hyperthyroidism.
- Repeat the same process for twice daily until you got complete relief from the problem.
- If you’re using any heart medications, then make sure to consult your doctor before using this herb.
4. Omega – 3 fatty acids:
We all know that fatty acids are main components of cell membranes and also play a vital role in regulating the inflammation through prostaglandins. These prostaglandins act as hormones that perform many key functions in the body like cell growth. But if you lack in these fatty acids then it becomes more difficulty to make the thyroid gland function normally (again as previous one).
Apart from this, its deficiency also leads to inflammation that in turn triggers the auto – immune response and thus releases the thyroid antibodies. So prostaglandins produce both omega – 3 and omega – 6 fatty acids. However omega – 6 is very essential fatty acid for doing various body functions but they need to be well balanced with sufficient amount of omega – 3 fatty acids. Here are the sources of omega – 3 and 6 fatty acids are given below. Have them regularly to get control over hyperthyroidism.
Omega – 3 fatty acid source:
- Cold water fishes like salmon, herring, sturgeon, mackerel, anchovies, etc.
- Grass – fed animal products
Omega – 6 fatty acid sources:
- Vegetable oils
But remember to have more of omega – 3 rather than omega – 6 in your diet why because omega-3 is neutral and omega – 6 is pro – inflammatory. This means, if you increase omega – 3 than 6 then it affect the tissues to produce inflammation and if you take more of omega – 6 than 3, then it increases the inflammation. The finally thing which you have to know is that the inflammation needs to be regulated well to prevent the triggers of the Graves’ disease.
Gromwell or Lithospermum is another effective herb that is very beneficial for treating the overactive thyroid glands. Purple gromwell which is also called as Stoneseed or Pearl plant will help to keep the thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) under control. Other than this, gromwell also keeps the auto – antibodies which tend to bind to TSH are under check. You can use this gromwell in tea form for treating this hyperthyroidism.
- Gromwell herb – 1 teaspoon
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Take a pot and place this herb in it.
- Then you have to pour boiling water over this herb in that pot.
- Let it steep for about 10 – 15 minutes and then strain the tea by using a sieve or strainer.
- Allow it to cool down for few minutes to become warm.
- Now drink this warm tea to prevent the hyperthyroidism.
- Continue drinking this warm gromwell tea for 2 – 3 times daily until you cleared this hyperthyroidism completely.
- But remember that pregnant women should not take this herb. And also if you’re using any medicines, then consult the doctor before using this herbal remedy.
6. Valerian Root:
Valerian root is well known herb for its natural sleep aiding and muscle relaxant properties. Insomnia is also a common symptom for this hyperthyroidism, as if you have overactive thyroid gland, then it makes you difficulty to fall asleep or fall in deep sleep.
This root helps to increase the gamma – aminobutyric acid (GABA) levels in the body which is a chemical or a neurotransmitter that was used by the nervous system to send certain messages to the brain and thus causes nerves to get calm down. This finally makes you to get proper sleep without any inflammation or disturbance in the body. Use this valerian root in the form of tea to get rid of the problem.
- Valerian root herb – 1 teaspoon
- Warm water – 1 cup
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Take a pot and place this root in it.
- Then pour warm water in this pot and cover it.
- Allow it to steep for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add honey (if preferred) in it and mix well.
- Finally have this tea before going to bed at night time.
- Regularize drinking this valerian root tea in every night until you relieved from the hyperthyroidism.
Passionflower is another herbal remedy used to cure hyperthyroidism by treating the insomnia and anxiety. It relaxes the body muscles, reduces the pain, enhances you to sleeping mood and slows down the heart rate to cure the hyperthyroidism by preventing the symptoms and strengthening the immune system.
Many modern medical herbalists use this passionflower for treating hyperthyroid sufferers to alleviate the physical and mental symptoms such as irritability, confusion, insomnia and hand tremors. So to get relief from the hyperthyroidism you have to use this flower in tea form for alleviating the symptoms that are related to overactive thyroid gland and here is the recipe that explains how to make passion flower tea.
- Fresh passionflower – 1 tablespoon (OR) Dried passionflower – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon balm – 1/4 lemon balm (for 3/4 teaspoon of passion flower)
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- Muslin bag or tea infuser
- Take a tea infuser or muslin bag and place the herbs (both passionflower and lemon balm) in it.
- Then place this infuser or muslin bag in the cup.
- Now add hot water to it and allow it to steep for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Take out the muslin bag or infuser and have this tea an hour before going to bed at night time.
- Repeat this process regularly at night time until you get complete relief from the problem.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should have to avoid taking this herb.
- If you are using any anti – depression or anti – anxiety medicines then consult the doctor first before taking this herb.
Goitrogens are natural substances which are found easily in various foods (particularly in cruciferous vegetables). This substance works like natural anti – thyroid drugs, as they effectively slows down the thyroid through many ways. It inhibits the body’s ability to use the iodine or else stops this process in which the iodine becomes thyroid hormones.
But in certain times, it actually inhibits the secretion of the thyroid hormone. So follow the below mentioned list of foods and have them to get relief from the hyperthyroidism, remember that these foods are more beneficial if you eat them raw only.
- Brussels sprouts
- Bok choy
- Mustard greens
- Pine nuts
9. Indian Gooseberry or Amla:
Indian gooseberry or amla is very effective in treating many health and beauty issues including this hyperthyroidism. This shows ameliorating effects on the thyroid gland and this in turn helps to control the production of thyroid hormones. Thus it cures the overactive thyroid problem.
Here is the process which you have to follow it to get rid of the hyperthyroidism.
- Indian gooseberry powder
- Take a small bowl and pour some amount of Indian gooseberry in it.
- Then add sufficient amount of honey to it.
- Mix it well to make it a thick paste.
- Consume this paste in the morning before having breakfast.
- Follow this process regularly in the morning time until you get cure this overactive thyroid gland.
Consumption of soy in moderate amount is very effective in treating the hyperthyroidism. But for the people whose who are suffering from this hyperthyroidism has two types of views in the consumption of soy products. One of the view says that this soy has rich source of isoflavones and proteins which may suppress the thyroid functions.
But some experts are saying that this isoflavones, genistein is very much effective than some of the hyperthyroidism medications in the case of inhibiting the thyroid function. As per the study that was conducted on the animals has shown that medium or moderate consumption of the soy sterols will lower the hyperthyroidism’s intensity but the higher doses will have the effect in opposite manner. Coming to the other view, it says that the people those who are suffering from this hyperthyroidism should not take this soy, as it increases the problem.
There are some other evidences that say about the soy interference with the absorption of thyroid hormone. So it would be best to have a little of soy products like about 1 – 2 ounce of soybeans over a period of 2 – 3 months. Or you can also have a little amount of tofu or soy milk. Lastly, the relation between the soy and hyperthyroidism is not that much clear, so its better to consult the doctor before taking these soy products especially if you are using any thyroid hormone medicines.
Berries are generally high in vitamins and various anti – oxidants that help to reduce the inflammation of the thyroid gland by strengthening the immune system. So you to include different types of berries like blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, etc. in your daily diet for at least a serving of these berries in everyday to get relief from the hyperthyroid problems.
Oats are very effective in curing the hyperthyroidism by fighting against the weakness and the exhaustion that caused due to this excess secretion of hormones by thyroid gland in the body. These excess thyroid hormones will boost up the metabolic rate of the body and also increases the activity of sympathetic nervous system.
Thus it increases the stress levels and leads to fatigue in the body. So to treat this problem, you have to take oats which has mild stimulant property and also nervine tonic effectual in the nervous debility. Hence have 1 – 2 servings of this oats in your daily diet to get complete relief from the hyperthyroidism.
Hawthorn is a European medicine that widely used to cure cardiovascular benefits. It also been tested by both conventional and modern studies has shown that it has positive effects on the coronary blood flow, anti – inflammatory, energy utilizations and anti – oxidant properties that help to treat the cardio symptoms that implicated in hyperthyroid conditions.
Essential Vitamins and Minerals for Hyperthyroidism:
All the below mentioned vitamins and minerals are very effective in treating and preventing this hyperthyroidism. So include them either in your diet or take this as supplement.
1. Vitamin C:
Free radicals are one of the main causes for this overactive thyroid gland. So intake of vitamin C which is filled with excellent anti – oxidant properties will help to combat the free radicals and treat these overactive thyroid glands. This vitamin C is one of the most effective and recommended supplement for treating the hyperthyroidism.
Consume more of fresh fruits and vegetables which are rich in vitamin C. you can also take vitamin C supplements (of about 1000 mg per day) along with this vitamin C enriched foods. But make sure to consult the doctor before taking these high doses of the vitamin C nutritional supplements.
2. Vitamin B12:
We all know that various B vitamins will assist the basic metabolic functions in the body. For this overactive thyroid gland, vitamin B12 is very effective. So, vitamin B12 deficiency will definitely leads to the hyperthyroidism in the people. Consuming the foods which are rich in vitamin B12 regularly will help you to fight against this hyperthyroidism.
This B vitamin is naturally found in animal products only such as shellfish, mackerel fish, red meat, beef liver, crab and eggs. Apart from these, you can also found it in certain fortified cereals and soy products such as tofu but in synthetic forms. Or you can also take vitamin B12 supplements to promote the normal glandular functions. But consult doctor first to know the proper dosage that suits for you.
Magnesium is another important mineral that plays an important role in maintaining the thyroid health. This helps for the metabolism of the iodine which is very important for the body to do its functions. A study which is conducted on the hyperthyroid patients has shown that there is a significant reduction in the calcium, zinc and magnesium concentrations.
So intake of calcium rich foods like nuts, green leafy vegetables, seeds, etc. in your diet will help to compensate its deficiency in the body. So have these magnesium rich foods in your daily diet to get rid of the hyperthyroidism.
Diet for Hyperthyroidism:
Even though a healthy diet won’t cure or prevent the hyperthyroidism completely but intake of healthy foods may help you to ease the hyperthyroidism symptoms. So have these foods by including them in your daily diet.
- Drinking more of water will help you to get relief from the hyperthyroidism as this will clear away the toxins and other waste from the body.
- Avoid taking too much of sugars and sugary products, carbohydrates in your daily diet.
- Stop drinking caffeinated and carbonated drinks to get relief from the pain and irritation or discomfort caused by this hypothyroidism.
- Take more of dietary fiber in the daily diet or you can also use its supplements to get rid of the thyroid problems.
- Regular intake of organic foods and whole grains like meat, eggs and vegetables will help to treat the hormone supplements that affect the capability of body to synthesize the hormones that include thyroid hormone and also fight against the various infections in the body.
- Cut the consumption of gluten containing and dairy products, as they generally put some strain on the digestive system that contributes to the thyroid conditions.
- Include nuts, eggs, farmed fish, quinoa and legumes in the diet to get relief from the hyperthyroidism.
- Make sure to get enough of vitamin D and calcium from your diet why because hyperthyroidism causes bones thinning. So its important to have more of calcium everyday to prevent osteoporosis.
- For more effective relief from the hyperthyroidism, you have to plan the diet in such a way that you have to get correct amounts of sodium and calcium from it.
- Even protein is also essential for treating this hyperthyroidism and also to get energy and to build or maintain the muscles in the body. Eating more of protein will help to ensure you to stay at a healthy weight. But don’t eat meat and you can eat beans and nuts to get these proteins.
- Avoiding certain triggers of food in the diet like caffeine, corn, soy and gluten based products which will increase the problem rather than curing it.
- Regular intake of fresh fruits and vegetables will definitely help you to manage this hyperthyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism due to Graves’ disease:
If you’re suffering with this hyperthyroidism due to Graves’s disease, then you have to follow this additional care to the eyes and skin. Few suggestions are mentioned below which help you to deal with this case.
- Take a cool compress and apply this on the eyes at regular intervals, as this will help to provide some moisture to the eyes to get some relief from the problem.
- Regularly wear some sunglasses whenever you go out into the hot sun, so as to protect the eyes from the harsh rays of the sun.
- Use eye drops to lubricate the eyes for relieving the dryness and scratchiness in it. But make sure that the eye drops that contain redness removers should have to be avoided strictly.
- It would be better sleep on an incline so that the head of the bed has to be elevated when compared to the rest of the body. This position helps to reduce the flow of blood to the head and thus lessening the pressure on the eyes.
- Try some over the counter creams that contains hydrocortisone (Cortaid, others) which helps to give relief from the red, swollen skin especially on the shins and feet and to get complete relief from the swollen skin.
Tips to Prevent Hyperthyroidism:
Here are some simple tips which you have to try them to get complete cure from the hyperthyroidism.
- Its best to do some exercises like walking, swimming daily for about 40 – 60 minutes, as it keeps the blood circulation healthy and thus ensures the good cardiac and adrenal activity which in turn helps to prevent hyperthyroidism. Remember that weight – bearing exercise is very important for the people who are suffering with Graves’ disease why because it helps to maintain the bone density and also reduces the appetite and thus raises the energy levels.
- Doing yoga related to thyroid problems is also effective tip to get relief from the problem.
- Remember that this hyperthyroidism treatment can contribute to weight gain, so it’s better to know how to gain the more of nutrition from the foods without eating any extra calories but not to gain weight.
- Be sure that if you left this hyperthyroidism, then it will definitely weaken the bones and this leads to osteoporosis. So to get rid of this problem, you have to take yogurt which is enriched with calcium in your daily diet.
- Stop or limit the drinking of alcohol and its products which increase the intensity of this problem other than curing it.
- Insufficient or improper sleep will affect the adrenal activities which are not good for hyperthyroidism. So you have to get enough of sleep which not only treats hyperthyroidism but also helps to keep the body and mind to get calm and relaxed.
- Stress (especially chronic stress) is another cause that contributes to the growth of hyperthyroidism. Even though it would be not possible to completely eliminate the stress out of the lives but you have to make a strong effort to keep a positive attitude and thus handle the stress in constructive manner. So always keep your mind and body away from the stress and thereby from hyperthyroidism.
- Even certain environmental toxins will also cause some negative effect on the health of thyroid glands. So, it would be better to choose the natural products for the household items that minimizes the exposure at home and also take few precautions to prevent the toxins exposure at outside also.
- Never ever miss or alter the thyroid medications without any discussion with your concerned endocrine doctor, as it will cause some side effects to the body other than increasing the problem.
- Make sure to consult doctor when you’re experiencing weight loss, unusual sweating, rapid heartbeat and swelling at the base of the neck for immediate treatment and medications.
- Quit smoking to get rid of hyperthyroidism. Also if you suffering with Graves’ disease and you are smoking then you will be more likely to get graves’ ophthalmopathy.
- Its better to learn some relaxation techniques which help to maintain the positive outlook particularly when you’re coping with illness. As it already said that in Graves’s diseases, stress is the risk factor. So try to learn some relaxation techniques and achieve balance in the life which in turn helps to maintain physical and mental well – being.
If you follow all these natural home remedies and tips then you will definitely has the ability to make this overactive thyroid gland to function normally. But make sure to regularize all these remedies and tips to get rid of the problem.
This is all about Home Remedies to get rid of the Hyperthyroidism. Hope you’ll try these remedies along with the doctor’s suggestions to cure your problem. Let me know which worked well for you by sharing your experience with us.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.