Kidneys clear impurities from the blood and removes waste in the form of urine. Stones can form in the kidneys made of minerals and acid salts and can move through your urinary tract. Uric acid stones and calcium stones are formed from chemicals like uric acid, phosphorous, oxalic acid and calcium in your urine when urine gets too concentrated. Passing stones through urination will be quite painful. Other causes for kidney stones are: lack of proper diet, dehydration, minerals and vitamins imbalances, etc.
Pain in the lower side, abdominal, groin and back, nausea, vomiting, fever, chills, pain while urinating, discoloration of urine, frequent urination, etc. are some of the symptoms of the kidney stones problem.
Home Remedies for Kidney Stones:
Implement these effective natural home remedies to reduce and prevent the risk of kidney stones without any side effects.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Citric acid in apple cider vinegar dissolves kidney stones, alkalizes blood and urine which helps to remove kidney stones.
Process – 1:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar and 6 – 8 oz of fresh water.
- Stir it well and drink.
- Drink this frequently throughout the day to dissolve stones.
- After removal of stones follow this process once or twice to eliminate the formation of new stones.
Process – 2:
- Mix a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar to 2 teaspoons of raw honey.
- Take this mixture as often as possible.
- Or simply consume a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar everyday.
- Or you can use this ACV in salad dressing or condiment.
Process – 3:
- Take equal amounts of vinegar and water in a pan and heat.
- Soak a clean wash cloth in the solution.
- Remove the excess water and place on the painful area.
- Leave until the cloth cools and then repeat until you get relief from the pain..
Pomegranate, both seeds and juice, helps to prevent kidney stones. It flushes toxins from the body and reduces the acidity levels in the urine.
Process – 1:
- Add a cup of horse gram to half liter of water.
- Heat the mixture until the water level reduces to one-fifth.
- Strain the solution.
- Add 2 teaspoons of crushed pomegranate.
- Mix well and drink this solution once a day to prevent the kidney stones.
Process – 2:
- Eat a pomegranate or drink its juice.
- Or powder a teaspoon of pomegranate seeds, adding water into it to make a paste.
- Add a teaspoon of this paste to gram soup and consume this daily.
Basil is diuretic and detoxifier which helps in the expulsion of kidney stones and strengthens the kidneys. It reduces uric acid levels in blood and cleanses kidneys. It contains acetic acid and other essential oils help to break down the stones and it also reduces pain with its pain killing property.
Process – 1:
- Crush 10 – 15 fresh basil leaves to make a fine paste.
- Sieve to extract its juice.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and mix well.
- Consume this solution in the morning.
- Continue this process for six months to get rid of the kidney stones and prevent the new formations.
- Or simply you can chew basil leaves daily.
Process – 2:
- Steep 5 – 6 fresh basil leaves in a cup of boiling water for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add honey as per your preference.
- Drink this tea once it has cooled.
- Drink regularly to eliminate kidney stones.
4. Nettle Leaf
Nettle leaf helps to keep the water flow constantly through kidneys and bladder. It acts as a natural diuretic which enhances the benefits of water in the removal of kidney stones.
- Add a tablespoon or two of dried nettle leaf to a cup of hot water.
- Allow it to steep for about 10 – 15 minutes and strain.
- Drink this tea 2-3 times a day for few weeks.
5. Lemon and Olive Oil
Lemon contains citrate, a main inhibitor of calcium stones that makes your urine pass normally by decreasing the potential to form kidney stones. Lemon juice will break up and dissolves the stones in the kidney and allows them to pass easily from kidney to bladder. Olive oil helps to coat the narrow tubes which are connecting from kidney to bladder to make the stone move easily.
Process – 1:
- Mix an equal quantity (quarter cup) of both lemon juice and olive oil.
- Drink this solution followed by plenty of distilled water.
- Repeat this process 2 – 3 times a day for 3 days or until you pass the stones out of the kidney.
Process – 2:
- You can also use just lemon juice if you wish.
- Take fresh lemons and squeeze about 4 ounces of juice from it.
- Add this to 2 litres of water and stir it well, adding a little of sugar.
- Drink this twice a day.
Celery helps to clear the toxins that form kidney stones. It also acts as diuretic which helps with the passing of stone.
- Drink a glass of celery juice regularly.
- Celery seeds also help in treating kidney stones resulting from uric acid accumulation. Make celery seeds herbal tea and drink this tea regularly.
7. Kidney Beans
Kidney beans are rich in fiber which are very effective in treating the kidney stones and helps to strengthen your kidney.
- Soak a few kidney beans in water overnight.
- Cut the beans and boil in 4 liters of water for about 4 – 5 hours.
- Strain the solution and allow it to cool.
- Drink once glass for every two hours.
- Repeat this remedy for at least a week to get complete relief from kidney stones.
- Or you can simply use these kidney beans either in soup or salads.
8. Dandelion Root
Dandelion root acts as kidney tonic and stimulates the production of bile which carries away the waste and aids in better digestion.
Process: (Dandelion root tea)
- Boil a quart of water in a saucepan.
- Chop a dandelion root and add 2 teaspoons to the saucepan.
- Cover the pan and simmer for about 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and steep for about 40 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink.
- Note: You can also eat dandelion greens as part of salads or any other recipes.
Parsley is rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, B and C, potassium, copper, thiamin, which helps to clean kidneys. These cleaning agents help to clear the toxins and other harmful substances from body. It is an effective remedy to clear the kidney stones and strengthen your kidneys to function properly.
- Boil freshly chopped parsley.
- Strain the solution and allow it to cool for few minutes.
- Drink this solution regularly.
10. Wheat grass
Wheatgrass contains vitamins A & E, iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium which helps to cleanse kidneys and removes stones. It is a mild diuretic which increases the urine flow along with other fluids.
- Mix a glass of wheatgrass juice with a teaspoon each of lemon juice and basil juice (extracted from basil leaves).
- Stir all the ingredients and drink.
- Consume this for 2 – 3 times a day.
Watermelon is rich in potassium salts which helps to regulate and maintain the acid level in the urine. It balances regular intake of water and flushes out the stones from kidney through bladder. Watermelon also contains calcium, magnesium phosphates, carbonates, etc. which helps to cure kidney stones problem.
- Eat watermelon fruit or drink the juice.
- Or you can prepare watermelon seed tea to prevent the kidney stones.
- Or you can use grapes in the place of watermelon which also helps to cure the kidney stones problem.
12. Diet Plan
Planning and eating healthy diet help to prevent kidney stones and other health problems.
- Take plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Include vitamin B6 in your diet which is well known for stone fighting and also reduces the build up of excess oxalate. Food like chicken, tuna, kale, garlic, banana, cod, mushrooms, green beans, spinach, etc. are good.
- Include vitamin A into your diet for proper functioning of kidneys. Foods like carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, winter squash, broccoli, etc.
- Include the food which is rich in magnesium, like whole-wheat bread, bananas, avocado’s, whole grains, nuts and seeds, etc.
- Have the food which is rich in fiber like bran flakes, etc. It helps to cut the calcium and oxalate in urine which prevents the formation of kidney stones.
- Drink apple cider vinegar, cranberry juice, eat straw berries, cherries, etc. everyday which helps turn your urine into an alkaline solution.
Tips to Reduce the Kidney Stones:
Following these tips will help with the problem.
- Drink as much water as possible.
- Try to reduce caffeine, decaffeinated and non-alcoholic beverages as they cause some concentration of oxalates in the urine.
- People often prone to forming calcium-oxalate stones are advised to cut down on foods like beets, chocolate, coffee, cola, nuts, peanuts, spinach, strawberries, parsley, wheat bran, etc. But check with your doctor first.
- Reduce your salt (sodium) intake not more than 2 grams per day.
- Exercise regularly which helps to absorb calcium from blood stream and prevents kidney stones formation.
- Check your urine is clear and not concentrated. Try to pass your urine as it comes but not hold it. It’s recommended to pass 2.5 liters of urine every day.
- Use a mesh strainer while urinating to trap the stones. This will allows your doctor to analyze what causes this stone formation which will help in future prevention.
If you don’t get any relief from this problem or suffering from severe pain, pain with vomiting and nausea or fever and chills, blood in your urine, difficulty in urination then immediately consult the doctor as this may lead to other kidney problems.
Do you know any other home remedies which worked? Share with us here.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.