Beauty is never complete without healthy and lustrous hair. Here, we bring you some of the best and easy-to-follow home remedies for hair growth using lemon.
However, let us first discover what actually impedes natural hair growth. Hair fall and dandruff are the two major culprits for hair thinning. Some other factors are unhealthy lifestyle, stress, improper sleep, chemical-infused hair styling products and shampoos, excessive use of hair dryers and use of certain medications.
Different hair products available in the market promise dandruff free and long hair. However, the harsh chemicals infused in them strip off your hair’s natural moisture leaving them dry, frizzy and brittle. Therefore, switching to natural remedies is the safest and economical path for hair growth.
Using lemon for hair growth can give your hair the long lost lustre. Read below for further details!
Benefits of Lemon for Hair Growth?
Lemons are the nature’s wonderful gift with versatile uses and benefits. These amazing citrus fruits are filled with several nutrients including vitamin C, magnesium, calcium and flavonoids making them great for healthy hair, skin and body. Here is why this small size yet incredible fruit can enhance hair growth.
- Lemons are richest sources of vitamin C that help in making hair stronger and longer.
- Fresh lemon juice stimulates hair growth besides strengthening the hair follicles.
- Limonene, a compound found in lemon juice imparts shine to frizzy and dry hair.
- The anti-fungal property of lemon juice combats dandruff causing fungus and also provides relief from other scalp infection.
- The acidic property of lemon gently cleans away accumulated dust, dead cells and other unwanted deposits from scalp and hair.
- Besides encouraging healthy hair growth, the refreshing smell of lemon leaves hair smelling sweet and good.
How To Use Lemon For Hair Growth?
1. Lemon Juice for Hair Growth
Applying lemon juice directly to scalp and hair is one of the best remedies for a clean dandruff free scalp to encourage healthy hair growth. Here is how apply lemon on hair:
- Cut a ripe fresh juicy lemon into two pieces.
- Directly squeeze fresh lemon juice from the lemon wedge on scalp and hair.
- Massage scalp using the squeezed lemon wedge for around 5 to 10 minutes.
- Allow the juice to stand on hair for 10 more minutes.
- Wash hair with a mild shampoo.
- Follow the remedy once a week.
Note: The remedy can also be followed after massaging hair with oil
2. Lemon Juice Rinse
Shampoo washes away dust, oil and other dirt from hair and scalp. But any traces of leftover shampoo after rinsing hair can damage hair follicles. Lemon juice rinse fully cleans hair to ensure no traces of shampoo are left behind.
- Squeeze juice of one fresh lemon in ¼ bucket of water
- Use this water as a last rinse on your hair after a shampooing your hair
3. Lemon Oil, Castor Oil and Olive Oil
Grow your hair faster by blending lemon oil with castor oil and olive oil. The essential fats and vitamins in olive oil nourishes hair from the root to shaft whereas castor oil helps to develop longer, thicker and stronger hair.
- In a clean bowl mix 1 tbsp luke warm olive oil with ½ tbsp warm castor oil.
- Add 3 drops pure essential lemon oil to the bowl and mix well.
- When the oil is comfortable warm apply it on scalp and hair.
- Massage well for 5 to 10 minutes and leave the oil overnight.
- Next morning follow the lemon juice hair therapy to remove excess oil from hair and finally wash hair with a mild herbal shampoo.
- Repeat the remedy at least once a week.
Note: This oil blend is suitable for dry, frizzy to normal hair.
4. Anti-Dandruff Blend – Lemon Oil, Coconut and Camphor Oil
The antifungal property of these three oils makes a strong anti-dandruff blend. The cooling effect of camphor provides relief from itchy scalp.
- Mix 2 tbsp warm coconut oil with 2 drops lemon and camphor oil each.
- Massage hair and scalp for 5 to 10 minutes with the oil and leave it overnight.
- The next morning wrap hair with a towel soaked in warm water for around 10 minutes.
- Unwrap towel and wash hair with a mild shampoo.
5. Lemon Juice and Coconut Water
The natural nutrients and minerals in fresh coconut water nourish hair.
- Mix ¼ cup fresh coconut water with 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Apply the liquid on scalp and massage for 5 minutes.
- Let the mixture stand for 20 minutes.
- Rinse hair with clean water.
- Repeat the remedy once a week.
- You can also mix one fresh coconut water with half lemon juice and use it as a last rinse on hair after your shampoo.
6. Lemon and Aloe Vera
The anti-microbial, moisturizing and restoring property of aloe vera cleans scalp, locks in natural hair moisture and accelerates hair growth.
- Mix 2 tbsp fresh aloe vera gel from a broken aloe leaf or pure packaged aloe vera gel with 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture on scalp and hair.
- Massage scalp for 5 minutes with the succulent portion of broken aloe leaf.
- Let the mixture stand on hair for 20 to 30 minutes before washing off.
- Alternatively you can replace aloe vera gel with 3 tbsp aloe vera juice.
7. Lemon Juice, Henna and Yogurt Pack)
This pack works as a natural hair conditioner and hair color as well. Henna pack keeps the scalp clean and protects against any scalp infection.
- To ½ cup natural henna powder add fresh juice of 1 lemon and enough plan yogurt.
- Mix the ingredients to make a thick hair pack.
- Apply the pack on hair and wrap a plastic cover around hair.
- Leave the pack for at least 30 minutes.
- If you are interested to color your hair then leave the pack for 1 to 2 hours.
- Wash hair with clean water and follow up with a mild shampoo.
Note: For best results use the hair pack after oil massage.
Note: The hair pack is recommended during summer as henna naturally cools the scalp.
8. Lemon Juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Egg
This protein rich and deep moisturizing hair mask works to make thicker and stronger.
- Beat 1 egg with 1 tbsp olive oil and half lemon juice.
- Apply the mask on hair and scalp.
- Allow the mask to dry before washing with clean water.
- Repeat the process once a week.
9. Lemon Juice, Curry Leaves and Coconut Oil
This incredible mixture cleans scalp, moisturizes scalp and accelerates hair growth. Curry leaves are a great remedy for thick gorgeous hair.
- Add two fistful of fresh curry leaves, 1 tbsp coconut oil and half lemon juice in a blender to blend well.
- Apply the paste on scalp and hair.
- Leave the pack for around 15 to 20 minutes and rinse hair with clean water.
Tips & Precautions
- Always choose fresh squeezed lemon juice over bottled version for the above remedies to reap the full benefits of lemon
- Lemon juice gives best result when used in moderation. Due to its acidic nature, excessive use on hair can actually leave your hair follicles brittle.
- Avoid using lemon juice on scalp with open wounds and cuts to prevent irritation.
- The bleaching property of lemon tends to lighten hair. Hence if you concerned to maintain dark hair then do not leave the lemon mixture on hair for more than 10 minutes or avoid lemon remedy for hair.
The above remedies with lemon ensure best noticeable result when followed as per mentioned procedure with precaution. The remedies in conjunction with a well balanced diet, adequate sleep and exercise all contribute to full nourishment of hair and body.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.