A sore throat is very painful! It is caused by inflammation of the mucous membrane lining the pharynx by bacterial or viral infection.
How Lemon Works to Cure a Sore Throat:
- Lemon contains (citrus acid) which helps to break up the mucus that causes sore throat and also helps to soothe your throat from the pain and inflammation.
- Lemon is rich in vitamin C and anti-oxidants which helps to boost your immune system.
- Lemon is a natural antiseptic which helps to kill the bacteria or viruses in the throat.
- Lemons are rich in several essential vitamins and nutrients.
- Lemon juice increases salivation and helps to moisten or lubricate an irritated throat.
How to use Lemon to Treat a Sore Throat
Follow these simple recipes to get rid of a sore throat:
1. Lemon Juice
- Juice half a lemon and dilute in a small amount of water.
- Mix it well and use this liquid to gargle.
- Alternatively you can gargle with straight lemon juice.
2. Lemon and Honey Hot Toddy
- Add one tablespoon of honey to a large mug.
- Pour hot water and a teaspoon of lemon juice into the mug and stir well.
- Place in a microwave and heat until it is hot.
- Add a slice of lemon and enjoy.
- Repeat regularly.
3. Lemon Juice and Honey
- Mix a teaspoon of honey, half lemon juice in a cup of warm water.
- Stir it well and drink slowly.
- Follow this process regularly.
- You could also take half a lemon, sprinkle salt and pepper and lick it slowly.
4. Lemon, Ginger and Honey
- Put a tablespoon of grated ginger in a cup of boiling water.
- Steep for 3 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon each of freshly squeezed lemon juice and honey and stir well.
- Strain the tea and drink regularly.
5. Hot Lemon and Honey
- Skewer half a lemon over a flame.
- Roast until the peel turns golden brown and let it cool slightly.
- Juice it and mix with some honey.
- Drink regularly.
6. Lemon and Salt Water Gargle
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon and add a teaspoon of salt.
- Stir it well in a cup of warm water.
- Gargle it three times a day for at least one minute.
7. Honey and Lemon Tea
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey and lemon juice to a cup of warm water and stir well.
- Sip it slowly but make sure that the tea is not too hot.
- Drink regularly.
It’s recommended that you drink fresh lemon water every day, first thing with an empty stomach, as this will help to relieve a sore throat and many other health problems.
Do you know any other benefits of lemon or home remedies for sore throat? If so, please share them with us!
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.