Kidney stones are one of the most painful medical conditions that you can experience. The pain caused by these tiny stones can be excruciating and debilitating. People who are prone to kidney stones can use lemons and lemon juice as a natural kidney stone prevention method.
The Benefits of Lemon Juice – A Word from the Experts
The standard medical treatment for kidney stones is potassium citrate, research has found that lemons have a unique property – they are high in natural citrate. Doctors and medical experts have discovered that lemon juice can be an effective preventative therapy for people who are prone to frequent kidney stones; they are calling this ‘Lemonade Therapy.’
What is Lemonade Therapy?
Lemonade therapy basically aims to increase the consumption of lemon juice in your diet. You can simply make lemonade (preferably without adding too much sugar) or combine lemon juice with other natural ingredients.
Does Lemon Juice Dissolve Kidney Stones?
- Lemons are a highly citric fruit; they contain citrate, a chemical which is a main inhibitor of calcium stone formation and can also break up small stones that might combine into bigger stones.
- It decreases the acidity of urine; this prevents the formation of calcium oxalate and uric acid stones.
- Lemon juice helps break up kidney stones and dissolves them so they can pass easily from the kidney to the bladder through urination.
- It contains a natural antiseptic that helps prevent bacteria growth in the kidney, therefore reducing the chance of infections occurring.
- It helps keep you hydrated and pass a lot of urine.
Lemon Juice for Kidney Stones Treatment and Prevention
We have created a list of quick and effective lemon juice remedies that can be prepared easily and will aid you in preventing kidney stones. Preventing kidney stones from forming is the best way to avoid a lot of pain in the future.
1. Lemon Juice
- Take a few fresh lemons and extract the juice (about 4 ounces are needed).
- Add this to 2 liters of water and stir it well (add a little sugar if desired).
- Drink this to get relief from kidney stones and associated symptoms of pain.
- Drink this twice a day (i.e. once in the morning and once in the evening).
- Or you can also simply drink lemonade, lemon juice or just water with a few slices of lemon in it.
- Or you can use lemon juice in your normal food, such as on fish, meat and other fried foods, salad dressing, etc. The zesty lemon flavor will make the food tastier and make your kidneys healthier.
2. Lemon Juice, Wheatgrass and Basil
- Take a glass of wheatgrass juice and add a teaspoon each of lemon juice and basil juice.
- Mix it well and drink this to help prevent kidney stones.
- Regularly drinking this combination (about 2–3 times daily) will give relief from kidney stones.
3. Lemon Water
- Take 1/2–3/4 cup of lemon juice and add this to a 32-ounce bottle of water.
- Mix it well and sip on it throughout the day.
- Regular intake of this water helps to clear kidney stones quickly.
In this process, lemonade helps increase the amount of urine passed, which in turn allows the kidney stones to be eliminated via the bladder.
- Take 1/2 cup of concentrated lemon juice and add this to 7 cups of water.
- Stir well and add a little bit of sugar or sugar substitute for taste.
- Drink this lemonade to get kidney stones clear from your body.
- Drink this lemonade regularly until the kidney stones are completely removed from your body.
- Note: You can continue drinking this occasionally to help prevent kidney stones from forming in the future.
5. Lemon Ice Cubes
- Take fresh lemons and squeeze the lemon juice to fill some ice cube trays.
- Freeze it to form ice cubes, then use these lemon ice cubes in any of your favorite drinks.
- Freshen up your regular water by putting these flavored ice cubes. You can also put them in iced tea, soda, fruit juices, or in any other cold beverage.
6. Lemon Juice with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Take a tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice.
- Stir it well and consume this to find relief from the kidney stones.
- Repeat this as often as you like, and you should see the results within 24 hours.
Olive Oil and Lemon Juice for Kidney Stones
The combination of olive oil and lemon is very useful when it comes to treating kidney stones. Lemon helps break up kidney stones while the olive oil will coat the narrow tubes running from the kidney to bladder (the ureters), ensuring easy expulsion of the stones.
Method – 1: (Lemon Juice and Olive Oil)
- Take 1/4 cup each of lemon juice and olive oil.
- Mix it well. Both of these have to be mixed thoroughly.
- Drink this mixture followed by drinking plenty of distilled water.
- Continue this process 2–3 times a day for 3 days or until you’ve cleared all the kidney stones.
Method – 2: (Lemon Juice with Olive Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take 2 ounces each of organic lemon juice and olive oil.
- Mix well and drink this. Be sure to follow with at least 12 oz. of purified water.
- Wait for about 30 minutes and then drink a mixture that contains the juice of half a lemon and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (which is full of highly beneficial digestive enzymes).
- Then repeat the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar water for every hour until you feel better from the symptoms.
- Make sure that start this method as soon as you find the symptoms to get complete relief from the kidney stones.
Method – 3: (Lemon Juice with Olive Oil)
- Take 2 quarts of water in a pan and put it on a stove over medium heat.
- Bring it to boil. Once it reaches boiling point, remove it from the heat.
- Add 2 ounces each of fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil to a pitcher.
- Mix it well and store this water in the refrigerator after getting completely cool.
Method – 4: (Lemon Juice with Olive Oil)
- Take 2 tablespoons of olive oil every hour from afternoon until evening time.
- Keep sipping lemon water throughout the day to help flush out the kidney stones.
- The lemon will help reduce the bland taste of olive oil in the water.
- The next step is to lie down, turn to your right side and drink 1 ounce of olive oil.
- Wait 20 minutes and lie on your left side and drink another ounce of olive oil.
- Take a 20 minute rest; avoid consuming any food or beverages after drinking the olive oil.
- The kidney stones will most likely pass the next day, normally during the morning.
- Repeat the process regularly until you feel that all the kidney stones are removed.
Important Warning and Precautions to be kept in Mind
Follow these tips and warnings for safe and quick relief from kidney stones now and in future. Keep these things in mind when trying any of the home remedies.
- Always use the organic and fresh lemons and extra virgin organic olive oil to treat kidney stones problems.
- You can also try taking lemon extract pills, which are commonly available pharmacies. However, these are not as effective as raw, organic lemon.
- Also try taking lemon-containing food like candies, sodas and other beverages to treat the kidney stone problem.
- Regularly following all the above mentioned methods will get you relief from the kidney stones. The stones will be expelled from your body completely.
- Also try these methods or simply taking lemon juice occasionally to prevent the formation of kidney stones.
- Drinking lemon water or tea first thing in the morning will give amazing results in curing kidney stones and in preventing new ones from forming.
We hope these methods are an effective treatment and help you get rid of the pain. Please share your experiences with us if you have tried any of these methods or any other home remedies for kidney stones such as parsley, and feel free to send us any kidney stone remedy that you have found effective. We welcome your feedback.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.