Mice are the most troublesome and destructive household pets. They hide in the dark places of the house and breed quickly leading to a mice infestation. These little critters cause damage to the electric wires, wood, food and clothes. They also spread bacteria and virus which can lead to diseases like rat-bite fever, plague, lassa fever and others.
It is very important to terminate the mice infestation as soon as possible before they cause damage to your health and property. There are different ways of using natural methods to trap or kill rats.
Home Remedies for Mice Infestation:
Here we have listed different traps and baits to reduce the rodents in your property. Try them as specified to get rid of mice…
1. Peppermint Oil
For us the smell of peppermint oil is refreshing and soothing but the mice find it offensive and overwhelming. Peppermint oil helps to ward off the rodents from the house.
- Take few cotton balls.
- Pour 20 – 30 drops of peppermint oil on the each cotton ball.
- Place the cotton ball in the areas where you notice rat frequently or near their hide out.
- Replace with fresh one once or twice in a week until you don’t notice any mice in the home.
2. Mouse Deterrent Spray
This spray is extremely effective in warding off mice from the home. Make sure to wear goggles and gloves while spraying the solution.
- Bring 1 gallon of water to boil.
- In a blender, add 1/4 cup of habaneros and 2 tablespoons of hot pepper flakes.
- Blend until they are roughly chopped.
- Into a 2 gallon bucket, add the blended paste and boiling water.
- Cover and let it sit for 24 hours.
- Using a cheese cloth, strain the solution.
- Fill a spray bottle with enough amounts of the solution and spray it inside and outside the house. Concentrate more in the cracks and dark places of the house.
- Repeat the spraying once in 3 days.
- The remaining solution can be store for few months out of direct sunlight.
Note: Avoid spraying the solution on carpets as it can discolor them.
3. Dryer Sheets
Dryer sheets are exceptionally effective in terminating the rodents from the house. Mice hate the smell of the dryer.
- Spread few dryer sheets on different areas where you find mice regularly or near the cracks that you suspect the entry of mice.
- Replace them once its smell wears off.
Mice hate the smell of cloves. You can use either whole cloves or clove essential oil to get rid of mice in the home. But clove essential oil is more effective as it is very strong in nature.
- Take few cotton balls and add few drops of clove essential oil to it.
- Place the cotton balls near the mice infested areas or where you find them regularly.
- Replace the cotton balls once in 3 – 4 days.
5. Instant Potatoes
Though this process sounds crazy, instant potatoes are excellent bait to kill the mice quickly. Instant potatoes are dehydrated potatoes which can be brought at any local or online store.
- Place the instant potato flakes where you see rats regularly or near the infested areas.
- Once the rat eats them, the potato flakes start expanding in the stomach.
- Before the rats can understand the situation, they die to bloating.
- Repeat the process regularly.
6. Plaster of Paris
This process makes a homemade rat poison. Though this combination is non-toxic for human beings, it can be harmful for children and pets. So, keep out their reach.
- Combine 100gm each of Plaster of Paris and cornmeal.
- Add 1.5 cups of milk and knead them into dough.
- Tear them into small balls and place them in and around your house.
- Replace them from time to time as they will get harden.
7. Baking Soda
If you want to get rid of mice infestation in a jiffy then baking soda is of a great help. Sprinkle baking soda near the mice infested areas. Or else you can follow the below process to ward off mice overnight.
- Combine equal amounts of flour, baking soda and sugar.
- Take few cups and small amounts of mixture into it.
- Place the cups near rodent infested areas.
- Once the rodents eat the mixture, baking soda causes bloating which leads the death of rat.
- Remove the dead rats immediately.
Note: Rats don’t die instantly, they move to open grounds before dying. So, it is easy to locate the dead rats and remove them.
8. Cow Dung
Though sounds weird, cow dung is very helpful in terminating the mice infestation.
- Get cow dungs and place them in your garden, attic and basement.
- Once the rodent eats them, it dies due to bloating.
- Remove the dead mice as soon as you spot them.
9. Baby Powder
This process is not as effective as the above mentioned but it is best way to trap mouse and throw them away. The baby powder doesn’t let the rat move which makes it easy for us to catch them. Sprinkle generous amounts of baby powder where mice are seen frequently.
10. Castor Oil
The smell of castor oil makes it inhospitable for rats to invade or inhabit the place. Place few drops of castor oil in the infested areas. Repeat the process once in 3 – 4 days. Just like castor oil, you can use citronella oil in the same way.
11. Tabasco Sauce and Soap Detergent
- Combine 2 – 3 tablespoons of tabasco sauce and 1 cup of detergent in 4 liters of water.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
- Spray this mixture near infested areas or where you see rodents frequently.
- Repeat the spraying once in 2 days.
Caution: Don’t spray the solution on floors as the detergent can make the floor slippery.
12. Bay Leaves
Bay leaves are one of the safe and effective ways to get rid of mice infestation. Place some bay leaves near the infested areas or where you have seen rodents frequently. Replace the leaves once in 2 – 3 days.
The pungent smell of ammonia keeps away the rodents from invading or infesting your home. Add ammonia to a few cups and place them in different places inside and around your home. Make sure your pets or kids don’t have access to the ammonia filled cups.
Tips and Precautions:
- Maintain proper hygiene in your home.
- Place mothballs in your wardrobe or cabinets where you place your books or store food. The smell of mothballs keep the mice away from infested the place and damaging the things.
- If you have rotten onions, then pace them near the infested areas or holes in the walls where you suspect rodents. The smell keeps them away from infesting the place.
- You can place aluminum foil, steel wool in any cracks or holes in the wall. Mice cannot chew them and enter into the house.
- Use human traps to catch the rats and throw them away. You can buy them in any online or local stores.
- Cat and owls are natural predators of rats. You can own any of them to get rid of mice infestation completely.
- Spread kitty litter around your garden to trick the mice in believing you own a cat and never invade your home.
- Fix any holes or spaces in the walls in exterior and interior of your home to prevent the mice from entering into the home.
- Don’t leave the food scraps and leftover food as mice can feed on them.
- Keep the lid of the garbage closed all the time.
- Clean your basement, attic and garbage regularly.
- Clean your house regularly with disinfectant solution.
- If nothing seems to work then consult a professional pest control for help.
You have to inspect the areas regularly. This helps to find out and treat the infestation in early stages. Please share your queries, suggestions and experiences in the comments section below.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.