Heartburn is a sensation of tightness, pain or discomfort in the middle of the chest. It occurs when you have acid reflux or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).
Acid reflux is a condition wherein the stomach acid comes up into the esophagus, and this misplaced acidity causes an uncomfortable burning sensation. This is a form of indigestion caused by acid regurgitation and can be felt as a burning sensation in the chest -- heartburn.
Mustard is a common household item that can be obtained from the seeds of a yellow flowered Eurasian plant. As well as in food, it can be used to help with many health and beauty concerns, one of these being acid reflux and GERD. Therefore you can use mustard for heartburn discomfort.
How Mustard Helps to Treat Heartburn:
- Mustard stops excess acid production in the stomach due to its vinegar content.
- It neutralizes the acids in the stomach and prevents stomach from producing any extra acid.
- It improves the pH level by balancing your intake of alkaline and acids.
- Mustards are good source of iron, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, calcium, omega-3 fatty acids and zinc which aids for better digestion and helps to prevent heartburn.
- Mustard contains vinegar which acts as a strong stimulant of saliva, helping for faster digestion without making the acids to come back to esophagus tube.
How To Use Mustard For Heartburn:
Try using mustard in the following ways to help to rid you of acid reflux which causes heartburn. Make sure you apply these methods regularly.
1. In Diet
- Eat a teaspoon or two of plain yellow mustard directly.
- Eat foods that contain mustard, like a hot dogs, sandwich, etc.
2. Yellow Mustard with Buttermilk
This process is especially useful in situations where it is harder to consume mustard with plain water.
- Mix 2 to 3 teaspoons of mustard in 1 glass of buttermilk.
- Drink this to get relief from heartburn.
- You can also add 1 teaspoon of both chopped cilantro and asafetida and a pinch of salt.
3. Mustard with Honey
- Mix 2 teaspoons of organic yellow mustard and a glass of lukewarm water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and stir it well.
- Drink this mixture immediately and regularly.
4. Mustard Tea
You can also consume mustard tea for heartburn relief.
- Boil 2 glasses of water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of tea leaves and allow to boil for a few minutes.
- Add 2 teaspoons of mustard powder, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1/2 teaspoon of grated ginger, which in itself does wonders for GERD.
- Boil for a bit longer and then strain.
- Add honey and consume regularly.
- Add milk (optional) in the last stages of making the tea.
- You could also add green tea leaves instead of tea leaves (but don't add milk)
- Consume regularly.
Follow these tips and precautions for getting rid of heartburn quickly without any side effects.
- Avoid drinking any liquids soon after you take this mustard to avoid washing it down.
- If you don't like the mustard taste, just swish your mouth with water and spit out after swallowing the mustard.
- Use a good quality mustard (but not mustard seeds) in your diet.
- Have individually wrapped mustard packets with you always to use in emergencies.
- For getting immediate relief, let the mustard slowly slide sown your throat coating it thoroughly.
- To help the problem, avoid eating spicy food, reduce your weight, avoid over usage of certain medications.
- Elevate your head up to 4 – 6 inches while sleeping and take antacids.
Different foods cause heartburn for different people, so try a few methods to see which one works for you.
How often do you suffer from heartburn? Have you ever used any method that was not listed above? Please share your experiences with us.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.