Nausea is a feeling of unease and discomfort in the upper stomach with an involuntary urge to vomit. It can be caused by many reasons such as morning sickness, motion sickness, dehydration, food poisoning, medications, pollution, over eating etc.
Home Remedies for Nausea:
Follow these home remedies to get relief from nausea.
One of the best, oldest and most effective remedy for nausea is Ginger. It promotes the secretion of various digestive enzymes to neutralize the stomach acids. Ginger also contains phenols which help to relax the stomach muscles so that it reduces the over activity of the stomach. You can take the ginger in any form.
Remedy – 1:
- 2 inches ginger root
- 2-3 cups of water
- Honey (Optional)
- Wash and peel ginger root and cut into small pieces.
- Stir in boiling water and boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn of the heat, strain it and add honey.
- Drink this tea and repeat as necessary.
Remedy – 2:
- 2 cups of fresh ginger (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 3-4 strips of lemon or lime peel
- 3 quarters of chilled club soda
- Ice cubes
- 4-5 cups of water
- Sugar (either 1 or 1/2 cup, on your preference)
- Place chopped ginger, lime or lemon peel in a saucepan.
- Add water to it and put over a high heat.
- Boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir.
- Turn off the heat when the mixture has reduced to 3 cups (after 15 minutes)
- Strain into a large bowl and store it in a glass container with a lid until cold for about 7 days.
- Mix 1/4 cup of syrup with a cup of cold cub soda.
- Pour ice cubes or add flavourings to taste.
Peppermint has a fresh scent which prevents the stomach upset and gives relief from nausea.
- Pour few drops of peppermint oil on cotton swab.
- Apply it directly to your gums.
- Reapply again if necessary.
- You could also use clean hands to apply the oil directly.
The smell of citrus (especially lemon or lime) prevents nausea by calming your stomach.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and honey.
- Lick the mixture slowly.
- Slice a lemon into half and inhale the smell.
- Make sure to exhale fully because it causes some other problems.
4. Milk Toast
Bland food is known for taming the tummy. Milk coats your stomach and bread absorbs the acid.
- Heat a cup of milk until it’s hot (but not boiling).
- Apply some butter to the bread.
- Crumble the toast into milk.
- Eat this slowly.
5. Cinnamon or Clove Tea
Cinnamon is a soothing herb which prevents nausea and vomiting. Cloves are used to treat digestive complaints and helps for better digestion.
- Add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder or clove powder in a cup of boiling water.
- Steep it for few minutes and strain.
- Sip it slowly to get relief from the nausea.
- Do not try this remedy if you are pregnant.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar stops the vomiting sensations caused by nausea.
- Stir 1 tablespoon each of ACV and honey in a glass of water.
- Drink this juice twice a day to get rid of the problem.
Chamomile contains calming and soothing compounds which helps the body muscles to relax, ease stomach aches and vomiting.
- 2-3 teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers (per cup)
- Hot water
- Pour a cup of hot water over 3 teaspoons of dried chamomile herb and leave it for 3 minutes to infuse.
- Strain it into a cup.
- Add lemon juice or honey.
- Drink it slowly to prevent the nausea.
- Don’t drink this tea if you’re pregnant or allergic to ragweed.
8. Cumin Seeds
Cumin helps in digestion and also in proper nutrition assimilation. It gives relief from any kind of uneasiness, especially from nausea.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of crushed cumin seeds with a pinch of nutmeg.
- Stir in a cup of hot water.
- Allow it to cool for few minutes and filter this tea.
- Drink it slowly.
9. Lime Juice
Limes are one of the oldest remedies for treating nausea with its smell. It is very effective in stopping nausea and vomiting immediately.
- 10 drops of lime juice
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- Add 10 drops of lime juice, ½ teaspoon of sugar, ¼ teaspoon of baking soda to a cup of water.
- Mix until they all are dissolved in the water
- Drink this juice whenever you have nausea.
Eating onions when you feel nauseous helps to get rid of the problem slowly.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of onion juice and grated ginger.
- Consume this slowly.
Aniseed helps in better digestion and calms stomach to prevent the nausea.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of aniseed to ½ cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink it slowly to get relief.
- Alternatively, sprinkle the seeds on mild vegetables or have in a soup.
12. Baking Soda
Baking soda soothes stomach by neutralizing the stomach acids.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of water.
- Drink this when you feel nauseous.
The aroma of the mint herb itself gives relief from the nausea.
- 1 tablespoon of dry mint leaves
- 1 pint of hot water
- Mix 1 tablespoon of dry mint leaves in a pint of hot water.
- Let it steep for about half an hour.
- Strain and drink this slowly.
- Eating the boiled leaves also help.
14. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seed contains some anesthetic substances that help to reduce the nausea.
- Add 1 tablespoon of crushed fennel seeds to a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to sweeten the taste.
- Drink this tea slowly to get relief from the nausea.
The smell of vomit causes a chance of continued nausea. So, to prevent that problem and freshen your breath, use this remedy.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of vinegar to ½ cup of water.
- Use this solution to rinse your mouth.
- Or you can mix 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of vinegar in a 4 ounce glass.
- Rinse with this solution but not gargle it
- This process removes the remaining particles from your mouth.
16. Vegetable broth
It gives you with vitamins and minerals which are essential for the body when facing the nausea.
- Variety of vegetables (onions, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, corn, celery etc)
- Seasoning of your choice (salt, pepper, garlic etc.)
- Place all the vegetable in a large pot / saucepan.
- Add water to it and leave until it boils.
- Add seasoning of your choice and reduce the heat to simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain out all the vegetables.
- Drink it for instant energy and to get rid of the nausea.
- You can also use chicken broth.
17. Non Carbonated syrup
It gives relief from the nausea as its compounds help to heal the upset tummy.
- Mix ½ cup of sugar and ¼ cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add a pinch of salt to it and stir until it dissolves.
- Turn off the heat and let it to cool for few minutes.
- Consume 2 teaspoon of this concoction.
18. Cranberry Juice
Cranberry juice offers some essential nutrients without the sugar punch which helps to prevent the nausea by calming your stomach. So, drink cranberry juice when you have nausea. It helps to keep your body hydrated and ease your digestive tract.
Acupressure is the process of applying pressure in specific parts / points on body to get relief from certain symptoms. For nausea, you have to use either a nausea band or pressure on certain parts of your hand.
- Apply pressure gently on the points to release neurotransmitters like serotonin or endorphins which helps to give relief from the nausea.
- Inner gate or the P6 point i.e. just 2 or 3 finger width down from the top crease of your wrist, there is a groove between two large tendons
- Apply pressure gently on that area, whenever you feel nauseous
- Or on the top and bottom of the wrist i.e. use your thumb and index finger to firmly press on the P6 points on both sides of your wrist.
- Hold it for about 10 – 30 seconds (if you are tolerable for up to 5 minutes)
- Then breathe deep to get instant relief from the feeling of nausea.
20. Diet Plan
Diet plays an important role in preventing nausea.
- Include fresh fruits (orange, grapes, berries, banana, apple etc.), fresh vegetables (corn, cabbage, onions, beets, etc.) and some fishes (like salmon and sardines) in your diet.
- Eat food which is rich in fiber (like apple, some raw vegetables) and proteins.
- Have regular small meals and snacks (like a few low fat crackers, peanuts).
- If you feel nausea by stomach flu or food poisoning, follow this BRAT diet i.e. include bananas, apple sauce (without sugar), rice and toast. You can also add pasta, potatoes to get better results with BRATPP diet.
- Avoid spicy food, oily food, alcohol, caffeine and dairy products.
- Avoid solid foods, sugary juices and other flavors when you have nausea.
- Avoid drinking fluids and lots of water during the meals. But drink water between meals.
21. Exercising your body
Do some stretchable regular exercises to ease the feeling of nausea. Sometimes blood circulation causes nausea, dizziness or fainting. Do stretching exercises to pump blood to where it is needed or to stop it from rushing. It helps brain to maintain a sense of balance or stability while changing up blood flow.
- Find a place to lie down in a quiet, dark room.
- Lay on the bed with no pillows under your hand.
- Bend your knees and make sure that you can breathe.
- Or Sit down with your back up against a wall.
- Put your knees up and put your head between them and breathe the air.
Tips to Reduce Nausea:
- When you feel nauseous, don’t fight the urge to vomit. It’s your body way to send out the substance causing harm to your stomach.
- Do deep breathing and slowly sip water
- Avoid hyperventilating, which makes you feel nausea or even makes you to vomit.
- Go outside for a walk to have a fresh air.
- Keep body hydrated by drinking more fluids and water.
- Suck frozen lemon or lime wedges, ice cubes, ice chips, popsicles etc. whenever you have nausea.
- Make a note of things which causes nausea like alcohol, motion sickness, food allergies, dairy products etc. and avoid them or take medication before them.
- Lie your face down on a cold tiled floor.
- Take rest by sleeping or napping.
- Dip a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol and inhale the smell to get relief.
- Drink flat carbonated soda to get instant relief.
- Stay away from smells and sounds which triggers nausea.
- Try to have a stress less life.
Treat the nausea by finding the root cause of it, which is the best way to solve it. These natural substances will easily dissolve in your body and causes no side effects. If the problem persists, consult a doctor.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.