Acid reflux occurs when stomach acids move backward and enter the food pipe or when the one-way valve between the esophagus and stomach is too weak to keep stomach contents down. This leads to inflammation and burning in chest, upper abdomen, and behind the breast bone. Eating too much food or highly acidic, fatty, or spicy foods increases acid production in the stomach and make the problem worse.
The University of Maryland Medical Center says whole grain foods are low in sugar and rich in B vitamins, effectively controlling acid reflux. Oatmeal is a great, inexpensive remedy for this problem.
Is Oatmeal Good for Acid Reflux:
- It is rich in thiamine and is an excellent source of niacin, vitamin B6, folic acid, and riboflavin.
- It is a whole grain food which neutralizes the stomach’s acidity.
- It helps reduce pain and other symptoms of acid reflux.
- It contains selenium, an anti-oxidant that shields the lining of esophagus from acid.
- It is fat-free and decreases hunger to prevent acid reflux.
- It has high amount of fiber which empties the stomach easily and quickly.
- It absorbs the acidity from the other food.
- It retains the nutrients and fiber essential for proper digestion.
- It decreases excess acid secretion to prevent acid reflux.
Using Oatmeal to Treat Acid Reflux:
Beyond eating plain oatmeal, follow these methods to cure and prevent acid reflux.
Bananas contain natural acid-reducing properties and are high in fiber which improves cardiovascular health and stabilizes blood sugar.
- Oatmeal – 1/4 cup
- Water or low fat milk – 1 cup
- Banana – 1
- Raisins, melon, or ginger slices – optional
- Cook unsweetened, vitamin-enriched oats in water or milk for 5 minutes.
- Peel and slice a banana.
- Add to the oatmeal.
- Add raisins, melon, or ginger slices to sweeten the oatmeal, if desired.
- Eat daily as a breakfast for best results.
- Note: Avoid adding honey, brown sugar, or other sweeteners.
2. Oatmeal Cookies
Oatmeal cookies are a healthy snack or dessert.
- Instant rolled oats – 1 cup
- Ripe banana – 3
- Whole eggs – 2
- Flour – 2 cups
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds – 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar – 1/2 cup
- Dark raisins – 1 ounce
- Blend bananas until smooth.
- Roast sesame seeds on the stove until golden brown.
- Combine bananas, eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, and sesame seeds.
- Combine flour, rolled oats, and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Spoon small balls of the batter on a cookie sheet leaving 2 inches between each ball.
- Sprinkle raisins on each cookie.
- Bake at 350˚F for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cookies turns a light golden color.
- Allow the cookies to cool before eating.
- Eat the cookie after dinner as desserts to reduce the acid level in the body.
3. Oatmeal Overnight Recipe
- Oatmeal – 1 cup
- Water – 4 cups
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Walnuts – 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Cook oats in water for 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and walnuts.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Next morning add milk and berries to some oat mixture.
- Eat regularly for best results.
4. Healthy Toasted Oatmeal
This method is good for those sensitive to gluten.
- Oats (quick oats) – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Milk (2%) – 1/2 cup
- Salt – pinch
- Light brown sugar – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Butter (unsalted) – 1 teaspoon
- Toast oats in skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Once the oats turn to golden brown and smells like cooked popcorn turn of the heat.
- Add water, milk, brown sugar and salt.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 – 7 minutes by stirring frequently.
- Once it is cooked add unsalted butter.
- Eat regularly as a breakfast for best results.
Acid Reflux in Infants:
Acid reflux in infants, gastro-esophageal reflux, occurs when food backs up in the esophagus. The tube running from the mouth to the stomach releases gas but baby has acid reflux instead of releasing gas they spit up or vomit. Symptoms of this problem include spitting, irritability, vomiting, coughing, blood in the stool, and improper eating. Oatmeal is thick and contains enough calories to help babies grow properly.
- Using quick-rolled oats is better than instant oatmeal.
- Add cinnamon or a little sugar to flavor oatmeal.
- Add apples, kiwis, dates, blackberries, and banana to lower acid and increase nutrients in oatmeal.
- Do not eat oatmeal before bed, as this can cause acid reflux rather than curing it.
- Oatmeal has enough insoluble fiber which affects the digestion. Eat them slowly and chew thoroughly to minimize heartburn or acid reflux and its symptoms.
- Drink plenty of fluids after eating oatmeal because the fiber in oatmeal slows the digestion which causes acid reflux.
Have you tried any of these methods? Do you know any other methods to treat acid reflux? Share your experience with us!
Other Ingredients Which Helps To Control Acid Reflux
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.