Forget the old rules – start a new headway towards weight loss with “Olive Oil”.
Piled up and confused by all weight-loss advices you have been told? No wonder, from diet trends, pills, commercial treatments, infomercial online to medical advancements, everyone have their own stories to partner up with you, in your weight loss program. But think twice before you choose one.
A quick weight loss is not possible, rarely healthy and never permanent. According to fitness experts and nutritionists, losing more than 3 pounds a week is a big No! No! When you lose your weight quickly with fad diets, treatments or pills, you may shrink your measurements temporarily, but after sometime you will gain more than you shred. Ahhh…that’s bad news…
Don’t give up yet, here comes the good news – Natural home remedies such as olive oil has been touted as healthy, now it is also being credited for their weight-loss aiding power. It is a true super food and golden elixir for everyone.
Is Olive Oil good for you to Lose Weight?
- Olive oil contains vitamin E, polyphenols and anti-oxidants which fight free radicals in blood stream.
- It contains 77% mono-saturated fats that lower high-density lipoproteins, low density lipoproteins and cholesterol.
- It reduces the hunger pangs and calorie intake.
- The aroma of it regulates satiety hormone – serotonin in the blood which makes you feel satiated.
- It helps the digestive system and eases symptoms of constipation.
- It helps in reducing carbohydrate levels in the body.
- Vitamin C and bioflavonoid present in olive oil increases flow of urine and reduces water retention.
- It increases the metabolic rate of the body and oxidation of unhealthy fat.
- The presence of omega fatty acids, Vitamin B, C and D in it increases body’s immunity power.
- The oleic acid present in it helps body to create oleoylethanolamide which reduces weight and appetite.
- It absorbs fat from the blood.
Did the above benefits boost your trust? Let’s see how you can incorporate olive oil in your weight loss regimen.
How to use Olive Oil for Weight Loss:
1. Olive Oil
- Drink 1 tablespoon of olive oil before meals or drizzle it on salads, pastas or bread.
- Or drink 1 tablespoon of olive oil before bed to encourage digestion and promote levels of good cholesterol.
- Or take a 15ml shot of olive oil daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
2. Olive Oil with Lemon
- In 1 cup of lukewarm water, squeeze juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Consume this tea daily in the morning.
This process cleanses liver, digestive system and encourages weight loss.
- Consume raw veggies and fruits throughout the day.
- Mix ¼ cup of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Consume this mixture before going to bed.
- From next day resume to regular healthy eating and drink mixture of 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice nightly.
3. Olive Oil with Cucumber and Salt
- Mix 2lbs of cucumber, 1 teaspoon each of salt and olive oil.
- Consume it as diet meals or snacks.
- For added benefits, include oregano or parsley or dill.
4. Olive Oil with Ginger
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste and 1 teaspoon honey.
- Consume this mixture followed by 1 cup of water.
- Repeat daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
Process 2: with salmon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons of grated ginger.
- Brush salmon fillets with the mixture, place them in baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven and serve.
Process 3: As salad dressing
- Mix 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic pieces. Use this mixture as salad dressing.
5. Olive Oil with Cayenne Pepper
- Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper and a pinch of turmeric.
- Consume it daily.
6. Olive Oil and Sugar Water
- Between the meals, we often crave for snacks which lead to consuming junk or instant food. To suppress this hunger, drink 1 tablespoon olive oil followed by 1 tablespoon of sugar water.
7. Olive Oil with Balsamic Vinegar
- Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Consume it followed by a cup of water or use it for dressing salads.
8. Olive Oil Detox for Weight Loss
- In a blender add 8 oz of grape fruit juice or apple juice, 1 clove garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 inch ginger (optional) and 4 – 8 ounces of water.
- Blend the mixture for 5 minutes and drink in the morning once in 2 days.
8. Olive Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar
Note: The olive oil-apple cider vinegar combination interacts with supplements and tablets. So avoid it if you are on medications.
Process 1: As a Dip
- Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and drizzle olive in it.
- Sip a toast or bread in the mixture and enjoy as a snack.
Process 2: As a Salad Dressing
- Blend 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons each of water and honey, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil in the blender mixture and combine well.
- Use this as a salad dressing daily.
- Or you can mix 1 part olive oil and 2 parts of apple cider vinegar with a pinch of sea salt and use it for salad dressing.
Process 3: For a Spa
- Mix equal parts of olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Massage the mixture on fatty areas for 15 minutes.
- Let it rest for 1/2 an hour and take a warm bath.
9. Olive Oil with Grapes
- Boil 1 cup of grape juice to its half of its volume.
- Add 2 teaspoons olive oil and whisk.
- Consume it daily.
10. Olive Oil with Spinach
- Sauté a cup of spinach and remove from the flame.
- Drizzle olive oil and eat it.
Fat Burning Massages with Olive Oil
1. Fat Busting Massage
- Mix 1 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons each of mustard oil and sesame oil.
- Heat the oil slightly and massage in circles on fatty area for 10 minutes.
- Leave it for 1/2 an hour and bath with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 3 times a week.
2. Flat Belly Scrub with Olive Oil and Coffee Grounds
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of warm olive oil, coarsely grounded coffee and juice of 1/2 lemon.
- Massage the mixture gently on belly in circular motions for 5 minutes.
- Dip a towel in warm water, wring out the excess and place it on belly.
- After 10 minutes, take bath.
- Repeat 3 times a week.
3. Olive Oil with Carrier Oils
- Mix 1/2 cup of olive oil, 24 drops patchouli oil, 40 drops of bergamot oil and 80 drops fennel oil.
- Massage the mixture on abdomen for 15 minutes and bath with lukewarm water.
- Alternately, you can mix any other carrier oil.
- Repeat 3 times a week.
4. At Home Body Wrap with Olive Oil
- Mix 1 part olive oil, 2 parts sugar and 2 drops of any essential oil of your choice.
- Massage gently in circular motions on fatty areas.
- Wrap the area with plastic wrap.
- Stay warm for 1/2 an hour by covering yourself with blanket.
- Bath normally. Repeat 3 times a week.
- For sensitive skin, prefer dried basil instead of sugar.
5. Olive Oil with lemon and Honey
- Combine few drops each of olive oil and lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Massage the mixture on fatty areas in circular motions for 5 minutes.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2 times per day for better results.
A Quick Peek on Things to Consider in Your Weight Loss Journey
- Always use extra virgin olive oil.
- Regular intake of olive oil more than 5 tablespoons per day can lead to other health risks like blood clotting, colon cancer, low blood sugar and others.
- Avoid olive oil if you are allergic to it.
- Heating olive oil makes it toxic to consume.
- Avoid sugar and reduce salt intake.
- Avoid junk food and consume only food prepared in home.
- Limit usage of more oil while preparing food.
- Calorie intake per day should not exceed 2,500 so keep a check on that.
- Stop smoking and consuming alcohol.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Consume unprocessed foods.
- Consult a doctor, if you are able to reduce weight after following the above methods.
Including olive oil in your diet and exercising regularly will help shrink those extra pounds. Even if you are not obese, you can follow the methods and tips to maintain healthy life and weight.
Was this article helpful? Let us know your queries in the comments section below.
Image assillo @ FLICKR
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.