Medically known as acrochorda, skin tags are abnormal and non-cancerous growths that develop on various parts of the body. They are not contagious.
Mostly, these skin tags are harmless and can vary in number and size. They are usually of the same color as the skin or a little darker. These tiny bumps of growth consist of blood vessels and a protein fiber called collagen.
Both male and female are equally prone to develop skin tags. But people with obesity, pregnancy and diabetes are more prone to develop skin tags.
It is believed that friction is the main reason that leads to the development of skin tags. They mostly occur in skin folds, necks, under the breasts, underarms, and thighs.
Genetics, human papilloma virus, and hormonal changes also contribute to the development of skin tags.
There are many medical procedures like cryosurgery, freezing, excision, tying with hair or floss, ligation, and cauterization. These treatments can be painful and costly. They should be performed only by professionals.
But do you known that these skin tags can be removed with simple home remedies? Yes, natural ingredients like apple cider vinegar or oregano oil can be used to remove them effectively without pain.
Instead of wasting your money in commercial treatments, try using oregano oil to remove skin tags.
Is Oregano Oil Good for Skin Tags?
- Oregano oil contains phenolic terpenoids compounds like p-cymene, carvacrol and thymol. These components contain strong anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, antimelanomic and anti-oxidative properties.
- It contains antispasmodic and antiseptic properties and antioxidant properties which eliminate the skin tags.
How to Use Oregano Oil for Skin Tags?
There are different methods of using oregano oil for removing skin tags. We have listed them for you. Choose any method you can try and repeat them regularly.
1) Oregano Oil
Oregano oil contains antispasmodic and antiseptic properties which serve as a numbing and cleaning agent. Initially, it may cause irritation when applied to the skin but don’t worry. The skin tag falls off within 2 weeks of time.
- Take 5 drops of oregano oil, dip a toothpick or q-tip in it.
- Using the toothpick or q-tip, apply it on the skin tag.
- Tie the skin tag with a dental floss.
- Repeat the application of oregano oil daily for 3 times.
- Once the skin tag falls, apply antibacterial ointment and secure it with a bandage.
2) Oregano Oil with Coconut Oil
If the direct application of coconut oil is causing unbearable irritation or burning sensation then you can dilute it with any carrier oil like coconut out. The step-by-step process for this method is mentioned below.
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of oregano oil and 4 – 6 drops of coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture on the skin and leave it to dry completely.
- Repeat the application 3 times daily.
- Alternatively, you can use jojoba oil, olive oil or almond oil instead of coconut oil.
Note: The skin tag will get red, purple, and gradually black before falling off the skin.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid applying oregano oil to the skin tags present on eyelids as eyes are very sensitive they cannot tolerate the harshness of oregano oil.
- If you have skin tags on eyes, it is better to consult a physician instead of trying home remedies.
- Make sure to use only wild oregano oil which contains medicinal properties. It should not contain alcohol.
- Make sure to clean the area before applying oregano oil.
- Once the skin tags fall off, apply any antibacterial ointment to avoid skin infections and scarring.
- Avoid applying oregano oil to the skin tags on eyelids and anus.
- As people diabetes are more prone to develop skin tags, so control your sugar levels to avoid skin tags development.
- Never ever try to cut, pull or shave the skin tags as it can lead to skin infections.
- Surgical treatments of removing skin tags should be performed by only professionals.
- If the skin tags are causing any irritation or any other discomfort, please take a physician’s help.
- Don’t confuse skin tags with warts as they are both different.
- Refrain from eating oily food and drink plenty of water to flush out toxins.
Are you going to try oregano oil for skin tags? Have you tried other home remedies for skin tags like castor oil or duct tape? Please share your experience and suggestions in the comments section below. More articles stay tuned with our website.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.