75% of women get a yeast infection at some point in their life. Yeast infections are caused by yeast called candida albicans. This yeast is generally present in everyone, but the good bacteria present in our bodies keeps them under control. When our immune system is weak, the candida albicans can grow out of control and infection can develop.
Itching, burning sensation, fluid discharge, and pain while urinating or intercourse are common symptoms of a yeast infection. People with diabetes, increased estrogen levels, stress, and poor eating habits are more prone to develop a yeast infection.
Want to know more about oregano oil for yeast infection? Then read on…
Note: To help this article read a little faster, we use (OO) abbreviation for Oregano Oil throughout the article.
Is Oregano Oil Good for Candida?
- OO contains powerful natural antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- As per a study conducted at Georgetown University Medical Centre, it was found that it inhibits the growth of candida albicans.
- Daily oral administration of OO is also effective in treating and preventing candidiasis.
- It also contains two naturally occurring antimicrobial agents called carvacrol and thymol.
- It also contains antiseptic properties which prevent the infection from spreading.
How to Use Oregano Oil for Yeast Infection?
Now let’s learn how much OO to take for candida and how to incorporate it into your daily routine to treat a yeast infection. Choose any method as per your convenience and try it regularly. To boost up the effectiveness of home remedies, include probiotics in your daily diet. It helps in increasing the good bacteria which controls the yeast infection.
1) Oral Consumption of Oregano Oil
Oral consumption boosts your immune system which helps in treating the infection from inside. You can try this method only or in conjunction with the topical application as well.
Process 1: Oil
- Mix 3 drops of OO into a glass of water or juice.
- Drink it daily.
- You can increase the quantity of OO gradually to 6 drops if it is not causing any burning sensation in the mouth.
Process 2: Oregano Oil Gel
- Take OO soft gels which contain 230ml of OO each.
- Take one soft gel daily after a meal.
- Gradually you can increase to 2 soft gels per day.
Process 3: With Olive Oil
- Combine 1 drop of OO, 1/2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix well and drink it.
- Repeat the process daily.
- Alternatively, you can use coconut oil or 3 tablespoons of water instead of olive oil.
2) Topical Application of Oregano Oil
- Take a very small amount of OO and apply it on the affected areas.
- Repeat the application 2 times daily.
3) Oregano Oil with Other Oils
When applied topically, OO produces heat which may cause some discomfort people with very sensitive skin. So you can mix it with either coconut oil or olive oil.
- To 1 tablespoon of coconut oil add 1 – 2 drops of OO.
- Mix well and apply it on the affected areas.
- Let it dry completely.
- Repeat the application twice daily.
- Alternatively, you can use olive oil, almond oil or tea tree oil instead of coconut oil.
4) Oregano Oil Douche
If you are pregnant or planning for a child then please avoid this process, as douching can create complications.
- To 8 ounce of water, add 20 drops of OO.
- Mix well and use this solution for douching.
- After douching, rinse off with water and let it dry completely.
- Repeat the process twice a day.
- Alternatively, you can make an oregano oil tampon by dipping a tampon in this solution and inserting into your vagina. Remove it after 30 minutes.
Oregano Oil for Oral Thrush
Oral thrush is also caused by candida albicans. White patches in the mouth, cottony feeling on tongue and inability to taste are some of the symptoms of oral thrush. It is more commonly occurs in babies, older adults and people with weak immune systems.
- Mix few drops of OO into coconut oil. Use this mixture to swish your mouth. Spit it out for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Open an oregano oil capsule and use the contents to brush your teeth as usual and rinse off with water.
- Add few drops of OO to water and use it to swish your mouth. Rinse off with water after few minutes.
- Take 2 capsules of OO daily 2 times.
Oregano Oil for Skin Yeast infections
Apart from vaginal yeast infections, OO also helps in treating skin yeast infections as well. Usually, they appear on thighs, under the breasts, betweens toes and fingers. Rashes, fluid discharge, raised itchy bumps are some of the skin yeast infection symptoms. Add few drops of OO to your daily bath water and soak for few minutes to treat the infection. Apart from that you can dilute it with some almond oil, coconut oil or almond oil and apply it over the affected areas and leave it to dry completely. Repeat the process daily.
Oregano Oil for Yeast Infection in Dogs
OO can be used both topically and orally for yeast infection in dogs. It is considered safe to use on dogs. Add few drop of OO in water to food meant for the dog. The oil contains strong smell so your dog may not like it so make sure to add only a few drops in the food. It is better to start with 1 drop and gradually increase it to 4 drops in a day.
As OO has strong properties, it is better to mix it with olive oil or coconut oil before applying it on the yeast infection. For dogs weighing 50 – 70 pounds, dilute 1/2 teaspoon of OO with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and for dogs weighing 25 – 35 pounds use 1 teaspoon of olive oil and for small dogs use 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
Oregano Oil for Nail Fungus
Dilute 1 teaspoon of OO with equal amounts of olive oil and massage the mixture on the affected nails and cuticles.
Who Should Avoid Taking Oregano Oil for Candida?
- People having iron deficiencies should avoid taking OO as it can decrease the body’s ability to absorb iron temporarily.
- Pregnant women should avoid OO. As it increases blood flow to the uterus and weakens the lining that surrounds the fetus.
- Patients who have developed allergic reactions like rashes by using the OO should avoid it.
- Avoid taking OO if you are breastfeeding or on blood thinning medications.
- It should be avoided by people with high blood pressure and heart problems.
- Kids and infants should avoid both topical and oral usage of OO.
What is Oil of Oregano Oil Candida Die Off?
As candida starts dying off by using OO, there are some deleterious effects a person can observe. A headache, dizziness, fatigue, bloating, gas, diarrhea and constipation are some of the common die-off symptoms observed. These symptoms may vary from one person to another.
If you are experiencing these symptoms, cut down the OO dosage for candida a little, which decreases the candida death and helps you in feeling better. Once you feel better, you can start to increase the OO dosage.
It is very important to drink plenty of water to cope up with the die off symptoms of candida. It helps in washing away the toxins.
What is the Best Oregano Oil for Candida?
Wild oregano oil is considered the effective ones for medicinal purposes. Check for OO that doesn’t contain alcohol, contains at least 50% of carvacrol.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid consuming processed sugars and preservatives as they encourage yeast infection growth.
- Keep the infected areas completely dry.
- Wear cotton innerwear to let the infected area breathe and dry.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out the toxins from the blood.
- Avoid using soaps or gels that contain harsh chemicals. You can use soaps that are mild and have antifungal properties.
- Stress levels also increase the infection so reduce it by doing yoga or meditation.
So try using oregano oil to treat the yeast infection and share your experience with us. If you have any doubts or suggestion on the article then do write to us in the comments section below.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.