Our busiest schedules do not allow us to take proper care of our skin and hair. And this is why we often face various scalp problems. If you want your hair to be voluminous and shiny, a healthy scalp is what you need first.
Tea tree oil has the ultimate power to soothe down and treat all kinds of scalp problems including dry scalp, dandruff and psoriasis.
Tea tree oil is an essential oil that is obtained by steam distillation of the leaves of the melaleuca alternifolia, a plant native to Australia. Treating scalp problems is one of the amazing uses of tea oil. Keep reading to learn how tea oil is good for scalp and the different ways you can use it.
Tea Tree Oil Treatment Bonuses
The best remedy to relieve from all scalp problems is tea tree oil. Tea tree oil for dandruff has the following properties that keep all the scalp problems at bay:
- Prevents dandruff production: Tea tree oil acts as anti-fungal that kills the bacteria causing the over production of the skin cells which creates white flakes called dandruff.
- Unclogs pores in scalp: Tea tree oil contains terpinen-4-ol that has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that helps to treat scalp problems. When applied on scalp, it penetrates the hair follicles, unclogs them and kills microorganisms that trigger dandruff, itchy scalp and irritation.
- Treats itchy scalp: It has powerful antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat itchy scalp effectively.
- Moisturizes scalp: It effectively moisturizes the hair and scalp. So it is one of the best solutions for dry and itchy scalp. It helps to get rid of the dead skin cells and dirt on the scalp thereby creating a favorable environment for healthy hair growth and scalp.
- Kills germs: It is a natural germicide and antiseptic that kills all the germs which causes the scalp and hair problems.
- Prevents sebum blockage: It unclogs sebum blocking the hair follicles and then clearing up bacterial and fungal infections.
- Removes excess oils: It also removes the excess oil and other dirt particles to make your hair shiny and healthy.
Using tea tree oil for dandruff is a good idea for a number of reasons. It helps kill germs and bacteria that cause dandruff buildup while also moisturizing your scalp.
How to Apply Tea Tree Oil to Scalp:
Simply, try all these home remedy methods to get rid of scalp problems using tea tree oil.
Method – 1: (Tea Tree Oil with Carrier Oil)
- Take a small application bottle and fill it with 3/4 full of any carrier oil like jojoba oil, olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil, etc.
- Add 10 -15 drops of tea tree oil in it and mix it well
- Apply this to your scalp and hair
- Massage it gently for few minutes to make oil saturated all over the scalp
- Leave it for few hours or overnight (for better results)
- You will feel some tingling effect on your scalp but don’t worry about it
- Wash your hair with shampoo and apply conditioner.
- This process helps to keep all your scalp problems at bay.
This process is also used to treat Smelly Scalp, Scalp Ringworm.
Method – 2: (Tea Tree Oil with Eucalyptus Essential Oil)
- Take few drops of tea tree oil and add this to few drops of eucalyptus oil
- Warm the oil and apply this to your scalp by massaging it all over the scalp
- Or you can use this as a rinse by combining both of these oils in water
- Or you can add few drops to your regularly used shampoo and shampoo your hair with this.
Method – 3: (Tea Tree Oil with Olive Oil)
- Take 5 drops of tea tree oil and mix this with at least a tablespoon of warm olive oil
- Apply this oil to the scalp and hair and leave it for few hours or for overnight
- Repeat this process for once a day for 3 consecutive weeks.
Method – 4: (Tea Tree Oil with Olive Oil)
- Take few drops of tea tree oil and olive oil and mix it well
- Rub them and massage the mixture directly into scalp by using your finger tips
- But make sure to concentrate on the affected scalp
- Cover your hair with shower cap and let it sit for an hour (more, if possible)
- Wash your hair with regular shampoo and conditioner
Tea Tree Oil for Dry Scalp:
Dry scalp can be treated very well with this tea tree oil. Here is how you can treat dryness in the scalp and lock the moisture in the scalp.
Method – 1: (Tea Tree Oil in Shampoo)
- Pour 5 – 6 drops of tea tree oil and mix it well in a shampoo or conditioner
- Use this solution to rinse your hair and scalp
- Or simply you can use tea tree oil containing shampoo or conditioners
- Use regularly the products that tea tree oil mixed in shampoos or tea tree oil based shampoos and conditioners for better results.
Method – 2: (Tea Tree Oil Rinse)
- Pour 5 – 10 drops of tea tree oil in water
- Mix it well and use this to rinse your hair
- Shampoo your hair and wash it with this water
- Make sure that the shampoo in your hair is completely washed away.
Method – 3: (Tea Tree Oil with Jojoba oil)
- Take few drops of tea tree oil and add this to any carrier oil like jojoba oil
- Mix it well and massage it gently onto your scalp for about 10 – 15 minutes
- Let it sit for about few minutes or if possible overnight
- Finally wash it off thoroughly and then repeat it regular to get rid of the problem.
- Or you can use tea tree oil and massage it on your scalp, it causes some tingling sensation.
- Massage it all over the scalp and hair and then leave it for overnight and rinse it off in the morning.
This process is also used to treat Scalp Eczema.
Method – 4: (Diluted Tea Tree Oil Spray)
- Take few drops of tea tree oil and add this to 1 cup of water
- Mix it well and pour this in an empty spray bottle.
- Spritz your scalp throughout the week whenever your scalp feels dry and itchy
- Make sure that your hair doesn’t contain heavy oils as it causes buildup and also have a light spray on the scalp
- Wash your hair once in two days to get rid of the dry scalp.
Get more DIY Home Remedies for Dry Scalp Treatment with various other ingredients.
Tea Tree Oil for Itchy Scalp:
The scalp is likely to be itchy whenever it undergoes some allergic, fungus or bacterial reactions on it. Tea tree oil acts as natural agent that treats all your scalp problems. Try these methods to know how to get clear scalp from itchiness.
Method – 1: (Tea Tree Oil)
- Take 5 – 10 drops of tea tree oil into your palms and apply it directly on the itchy scalp
- Massage it onto your scalp and leave it like that
- Wash your hair every other day with tea tree oil shampoo
- This process helps to ease the itch and soothes your skin and also clears the clogged hair follicles.
- Continue doing this process until you get complete relief from the itchy scalp.
Method – 2: (Tea Tree Oil with Peppermint Oil)
- Take few drops of tea tree oil, peppermint oil in a cup of warm water
- Stir it well and use this to rinse your scalp after shampooing
- Leave it for few minutes and then wash it off completely
- If you hair becomes very sticky then use a mild shampoo after washing out your hair completely with that tea oil mixture.
Method – 3: (Tea Tree Oil with Baby Shampoo)
- Add 10 – 20 drops of tea tree oil in 1/2 cup of baby shampoo
- Stir it well and use this solution to shampoo your hair daily.
- Repeat the process regularly until you get complete relief from itchy scalp.
This process is also used to treat dry itchy scalp, itchy scalp and dandruff.
Method – 4: (Tea Tree Oil with Vegetable Oil)
- Dilute 2 – 4 drops of tea tree oil in a tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Mix it well properly and then use this oil to massage it on your scalp
- This process helps to unblock the hair follicles and at last gives relief from the itching
- Regularly usage of this process for once or twice a week will be more beneficial to treat itchy scalp.
This process also used in treating dry, itchy scalp.
Method – 5: (Tea Tree Oil with Coconut Oil)
- Take 10 drops of tea tree oil and add this to a tablespoon of coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Mix it well until the coconut oil turns to liquid form and both the oils are completely mixed.
- Apply this oil into your scalp by massage it (as you wash your hair in the shower)
- Concentrate more on the dry patches and massage only scalp but not your hair
- Allow it to sit for a minimum of 30 minutes to a maximum of overnight.
- Wash it off with shampoo followed by conditioner and water
- In this process, both coconut oil and tea tree oil has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that helps to prevent the itchiness on your scalp.
This process also used for Scalp Folliculitis, Scalp Eczema.
Also read the related post – Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp Treatment.
Tea Tree Oil Dandruff and Itchy Scalp:
Tea tree oil has anti-fungal and antiseptic properties that help a lot to get rid of the dandruff and itchy scalp and it also makes the scalp moisturized.
Method: (Tea Tree Oil Shampoo)
- Add a teaspoon of tea tree oil to 32 oz of bottle.
- Mix it well and use this to shampoo your hair and store the remaining for further purpose
- Or simply pour few drops of tea tree oil and add this to shampoo (that you’re going to wash your hair now)
- Mix it well and shampoo your hair by massaging it in your scalp and hair
- Wait for 5 – 7 minutes and then rinse it off completely
- Or you can also simply use the shampoos or conditioners that contain tea tree oil as their main ingredient in it.
This process is also applicable to treat Itchy Scalp, Scalp Psoriasis, Oily Scalp, Scalp Sores, Itchy and Flaky Scalp, Dry and Flaky Scalp, Dry and Itchy Scalp, Shampoo for Itchy Scalp, Scalp Follcultis and Scalp Ringworm.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Dandruff and Dry Scalp:
- Take few drops of tea tree oil and rub a moderate amount of oil into the scalp and hair before going to bed.
- After applying completely then comb your hair through to the ends
- Leave it like that for the overnight and then wash it off with shampoo in the next morning.
- This process helps to remove the hair stylish products, head lice, dandruff and dry scalp on your hair.
- Repeat the process daily for at least week will help to get healthy scalp.
This process is also used to treat Scalp Ringworm.
Tea Tree Oil for Scalp Fungus:
Tea tree oil is most effective oil that helps to prevent the scalp fungal infections. This is due to high content of anti-septic and anti-fungal property element called terpinen-4-ol.
Method – 1: (Tea Tree Oil with Aloe Vera)
- Take 50 ml of pure aloe vera gel and add this to 20 – 25 drops of pure tea tree oil
- Mix it well and apply this on your scalp
- Allow it to stay for about 30 – 45 minutes and then wash it off normally.
- Follow up this process twice a week until you get complete relief from the scalp fungus.
- This process is also used to treat dry and itchy scalp problem.
Method – 2: (Tea Tree Oil)
- Take few drops of tea tree oil and use this oil to massage it into the scalp by using your finger tips
- After some time, you will feel some cool, tingling sensation which represent that the oil is working on the fungus.
- Then cover your hair in a shower cap and leave it for overnight
- Wash your hair with natural shampoo in the morning and repeat this every alternative day until you get complete relief from the problem.
Method – 3: (Tea Tree Oil with Coconut Oil)
- Take few drops of tea tree oil and mix it in coconut oil (or any natural oils)
- Mix it well and apply this to your scalp before going to bed
- Massage it gently as it has to saturate all over the scalp.
- Leave it like that for overnight and then wash it off in the morning
- If you’re suffering from severe infection then, you can apply a little bit this mixture on the affected area after washing your hair.
Tea Tree Oil for Scalp Psoriasis:
Tea tree oil is a proven home remedy to treat scalp psoriasis as it helps to moisture and lock all the essential nutrients that helps to treat the scalp psoriasis.
Method – 1: (Tea Tree Oil)
- Take few drops of tea tree oil in a small bowl and take a cotton ball
- Dip the ball in tea oil and apply it directly on the scalp that was affected by the psoriasis
- If it irritates then add a little bit of any natural oil to it
- Leave it like that for few hours or overnight and then rinse it off with natural shampoo (mix few drops of tea oil in it) and conditioner.
This process is also used to treat Flaky Scalp, Dry Itchy Scalp.
Method – 2: (Tea Tree Oil with Olive Oil)
- Warm a cup of olive oil by putting it in a pot of hot water
- Take it out when it is warm and add 10 – 15 drops of tea tree oil to it
- Mix it well and pour it in an empty bottle and part your hair to apply this mixture all over your scalp properly
- But concentrate more on the bad spots and continue massaging it for few minutes
- Cover your hair with plastic shower cap and leave it on for 2 – 3 hours
- Rinse it off with a shampoo that don’t have sodium laureth sulfate or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)
- Continue doing this process once in 15 days to prevent the scalp psoriasis.
Method – 3: (Tea Tree Oil with Lavender and Rosemary Oils)
- Take few drops of all the oils i.e. tea tree oil, lavender oil and rosemary oil
- Mix it well and apply this to the scalp where it is affected by the psoriasis.
- All these oils are anti-bacterial that aid in curing an itchy scalp and has the properties that helps to promote faster healing of the affected scalp area.
Tea Tree Oil on Oily Scalp:
Oily scalp is a scalp that always feels oily and greasy. Tea tree oil will remove the excess oil from your scalp and it not to look greasy. Follow these simple steps to get relief from this problem.
- Take few drops of tea tree oil and apply this to your hair and scalp
- Gently massage your scalp for few minutes and then rinse it off with SLS free shampoo.
- Or you can dilute 12 drops of the oil in about 3 ounces of warm water
- Mix it well and gently wipe with soft cotton ball on freshly cleansed skin.
- Or simply wash your hair with tea tree oil containing shampoo to get rid of the problem.
Tea Tree Oil for Sores on Scalp:
Tea tree oil is one of the best ingredients that are used to treat scalp sores. Scalp sores are a painful sensation in the scalp and have negative effects on the hair and scalp i.e. in hair growth, dandruff, lice, etc. So, use tea tree oil and Jojoba Oil in the following way to get rid of the problem.
- Take 4 drops of tea tree oil and add this to a teaspoon of jojoba oil (or any carrier oil)
- Mix it well and applied this when you wake up in the morning.
- Apply this on your scalp by massaging it gently
- Let it be like that and repeat the process daily for at least two weeks to completely clear the problem.
- This process helps to heal the scalp sores and then makes your scalp healthy and shiny by reducing the itchiness and soreness.
Tea Tree Oil for Flaky Scalp:
Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic that becomes more potent at infection site. Dead skin cells will cause flakes that are full of bacteria and infectious agents. Tea tree oil when applied clears the bacteria that leave unsightly flakes on the scalp. Follow this simple method to get rid of this problem.
- Take a teaspoon of tea tree oil and add this to your regular shampoo
- Mix it well and apply this to the scalp and massage it gently
- Concentrate more on the area where the flakes are more.
- Massage it all over the hair and wait for about 5 – 10 minutes
- Then rinse it off with water and apply conditioner that keeps your hair moisturized.
- Repeat this process daily until you get complete relief from the dry flaky scalp and hair.
- Or simply use the shampoo that has tea tree oil as one of the main ingredient.
Tea Tree Oil for Dry Flaky Scalp:
Dry flaky scalp is caused by overuse of shampoo and conditioners as well as stylish products. This becomes dry, itchy and begins to flake off. Tea tree oil is one of the best home remedy that provides essential moisture to hair and removes the scalp build up. Try this method to get rid of it.
- Take 10 drops of tea tree oil, 1/2 cup each of apple cider vinegar and honey
- Mix it well in a bowl and massage it on the scalp
- Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water
- Continue doing this process twice a week until you get complete relief from the dry itchy and flaky scalp.
Tea Tree Oil for Acne on Scalp:
Tea tree oil has anti-septic properties that help for the recovery of dandruff and scalp pimples. Follow the below steps to get good relief from Scalp Acne.
- Take few drops of tea tree oil and mix it any carrier oil
- Apply this on the scalp, but focus more on the acne spots.
- Leave it like that for overnight or for few hours.
- Wash it off with shampoo that contains tea tree oil like kiehl’s tea tree oil shampoo or Jason tea tree oil scalp normalizing shampoo.
- Or you can use tea tree oil mixed with salicylic acid rich shampoo as it reduces the scalp acne dramatically.
- Rinse your hair with either cool or lukewarm water but not with hot water as they irritate the scalp.
Tea Tree Oil for Eczema on Scalp:
- Take a tablespoon or two of tea tree oil and add this to your warm bath water
- Soak yourself for several minutes and then rinse it off with tea tree oil shampoo
- Repeat this for every wash to prevent scalp eczema.
Precautions and Tips to be Followed While Treating Your Scalp with Tea Tree Oil:
Following these tips and precautions will help you a lot in curing the scalp problems.
- Tea tree oil can cause some allergic reactions to some people that range from mild irritation to severe redness, itchiness and blistering. So test it once on small part of skin and then continue for further process. It is used topically but not be swallowed as it may be toxic.
- For best results, always use 100 percent pure tea tree oil in all these above methods. You may also try using this for home remedy to fix hot roots.
- Repeating regularly all the above mentioned methods will help to get quick relief from all scalp problems rather than doing it once.
- Don’t apply tea tree oil to any broken skin or rashes not caused by the fungus as it will irritate the skin and make the situation worse.
- Besides using tea tree oil, you have to maintain hygienic scalp all the time., have proper nutritional diet, reduce your stress levels, go for some exercise, etc. will have to be done to get rid of all scalp problems.
So, start using tea tree oil for scalp today and say goodbye to all scalp issues! Do you have any other ideas to cure scalp problems using Tea Tree Oil? Kindly share with us by just commenting at the end of this article.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.