Skin tags (or Acrochorda in medical terms) appear most commonly on the neck, armpits, eyelids, inner thighs and groin areas of the skin. These abnormal growths are typically flesh – colored and vary in size. They are composed of blood vessels and collagen fibers, so you should not get any pain and they will not affect your health.
There is no definite cause for the existence of skin tags, but some suggestions include obesity, hormonal changes, diabetes, use of steroids and human papillomavirus (HPV) and rubbing against clothing.
So instead of choosing expensive over the counter remedies, why not try natural remedies for skin tags which are safe and cost affordable. Tea tree is one of the best ingredients for these remedies.
Tea Tree Oil And Skin Tag Removal
Tea tree oil is a colorless essential oil that has been extracted from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia (tea trees), native to Australia.
Tea tree oil has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, antiseptic and anti-fungal properties that help to dry out the skin tags from inside and keeps the skin clear from impurities.
- It has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties.
- Generally, the reduction of size will occur when the cells in tags are deprived of oxygen and supply of blood. Tea tree oil has this drying effect.
- It has terpinen – 4 – ol and cineol and penetrates deep into to the skin.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags:
1. Tea Tree Oil
Even pregnant women or older people can use this method to remove skin tags.
- Cleanse and dry the skin on and around the skin tags.
- Soak a cotton ball in water and squeeze, then add 2 – 4 drops of tea tree oil.
- Use this to apply on the affected skin.
- Massage gently in a circular motion for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Wash it off and pat the skin dry.
- Do this process 3 times a day.
- Or apply tea tree oil with a damp cotton ball and leave for a few minutes. Then wrap the skin with an adhesive bandage.
- Or you can apply tea tree oil directly on the skin tags without diluting it.
- Or dip a q-tip in tea tree oil and place this on the skin tag. Remove the cotton on the q-tip and place it on the tag. Secure it with a tape or bandage.
- Do not apply undiluted tea tee oil if you have dry or sensitive skin.
2. Tea Tree Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice
- Mix 4 drops of organic apple cider vinegar, 5 drops of fresh lemon juice and 3 drops of tea tree oil in a bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball in this mix then place on the affected skin.
- Cover the ball with a band aid and leave it on for few minutes.
- Repeat the same process for twice a day for about 10 days.
3. Tea Tree Oil with Olive Oil
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of tea oil with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Apply this mix on the skin tags using a cotton ball.
- Massage it gently for a minute or two and wrap it with a bandage.
- Leave it on for few minutes and then remove.
- Note: You can also add jojoba oil or clove oil or water or any other carrier oil instead of olive oil.
4. Tea Tree Oil with Castor Oil
This combinational process is very effective in treating vaginal skin tags.
- Mix 3 – 4 drops of tea tree oil with a teaspoon of castor oil.
- Wash the affected area before applying.
- Apply on the affected skin.
- This oil mix not only clears the skin tags but also cleanses the area well.
- Note: If you have burning or stinging sensations wash the area immediately.
Tea Tree Oil with Other Combinations:
If these processes are not working, tea tree oil needs to be combined with other natural oils / natural ingredients that cause the skin tags to vanish more effectively.
- Cashew plant is well known for its antiseptic, antibacterial, astringent and anti-dysenteric properties.
- Bloodroot is used to clear the dead skin tissues and thus promotes the healthy healing of the skin. This root when mixed with tea tree oil clears many skin ailments including skin tags.
- Fig plant and tea tree oil have antiseptic and antibacterial properties that dries the skin tags.
- Greater celandine plant with tea tree oil helps to remove skin tags, warts, moles etc.
How long to use Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags?
It completely depends up on the frequency of using tea oil on skin tags and the size of the skin tag. You have to use this tea oil for no less than 15 days to see the signs of improvement. You can switch to other skin tag removal methods, if you didn’t find any results after a month.
Best Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags:
Use 100% organic and pure tea tree oil. There are many brands of tea tree oil that are available widely in the market like Nature’s Bounty tea tree oil, Walgreens pure tea tree oil, Tea Tree Therapy tea tree oil, Desert Essence tea tree oil, Thursday Plantation tea tree oil, Now tea tree oil, Jason tea tree oil, Hollywood Beauty tea tree oil, Holista tea tree oil, etc.
Tips and Precautions:
Follow these tips and precautions to get safe and quick results from the problem.
- Never ever ingest this tea oil into the body.
- If you have sensitive or dry skin, then always remember to dilute the tea tree oil with some water or any carrier oil.
- Always make sure to use 100% natural tea tree oil.
- Make sure to do a patch text first before using these methods.
- Do not apply tea tree oil on sensitive areas like skin surrounding eyes, eyelids, anus, genital areas, etc.
- Before applying tea tree oil wash the skin tag affected area with water and mild soap and dry it completely.
- You can also use tea tree oil based creams (like revital skin tag removal), lotions and sprays.
- Apply petroleum jelly to the healthy skin around the skin tag to protect the skin from direct contact with concentrated tea tree oil.
- To dilute tea tree oil, mix 1 to 2 drops of the essential oil with 1 tbsp of any base oil such as sunflower oil or aloe vera oil.
Please feel free to share your experiences with us!
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.